Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Survive a Quilt Expo >

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
I like using a back pack to put small purchases in because I still have my hands free. Usually will keep my charge card in a small pocket around my neck. Good Luck
Make a drawstring back pack. It is lighter than a regular one that you buy. Include zippered pockets inside and out.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 AM

The first thing is, check about the stroller. Sometimes expos get so busy, they don't want strollers banging everyone's ankles. (Are you SURE there isn't someone who can babysit - an expo of any kind isn't really the place for an infant. )Secondly, wear comfortable shoes. I know that sounds obvious, but you might be on your feet a long time. Pare down your purse to just what you need - credit card, ID, phone. Leave the rest in the car where you can get it if you have to. No sense in dragging lipstick, tissues, brush etc if you don't need them to shop. Remember to stay hydrated. As far as shopping, unless there's something particular I want, I look over everything first, or I would start buying as soon as I get there and run out of money before I've even seen half of it! You can make notes on the program about where the vendors are that y want to revisit. And have fun!

Last edited by quiltmom04; 03-06-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 AM

Just to add the reason for no stollers is that people get so into the show, they do not look where they are going. There have been accidents with people tripping and falling over strollers and carts. They want the show to be a safe place for all. If your friend has a sling for the baby that would probably work better. If not, just be aware of others around you.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 AM

You two ladies are real troopers to bring a baby along. Have a great time at the show. And take pictures to put in the baby book.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Like kids, but I do NOT enjoy having to navigate around anyone with a stroller at a quilt show. I absolutely would not take the stroller, take the baby in a snuggie thing if you have to.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Many times a vendor will hold an item for you if it is large and/or heavy. Be sure to ask and BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN WHERE IT IS! (Want to ask me why I capitalized that part or can you guess?!!) LOL
Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 AM

a three month old fits nicely into a front pack carrier. another option that grandmother is bound to have, is a yard or two of fabric and carry the infant on her hip. You place the child in the middle of the fabric, situate the fabric on hip, back where ever you want and wrap and tie the fabric around your shoulders. i and many other hippie moms and Indigenous woman all over the world have hauled infants around like that. they sleep nicely, all safe and secure.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM

Welcome to the giant and expensive world of Quilting! I am so fortunate to live in the Houston TX area and that is the only show I usually go to. I've been like 3-4 times, and last year I didn't even take photos. I didn't seen anything that I felt was photo-worthy. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and honor the work that went into each and every quilt, but I saw more art quilts than traditional, and I prefer the traditional patterns...

Anyway, my recommendation is Crocs shoes (they are wonderful), and a fanny pack and a backpack. The Houston show does not allow bags that you can pull behind you, and I agree with taking the baby - it would be worth paying a babysitter to enjoy the day unencumbered with the responsibilities that small children demand. I know how bad this sounds, but if the only way I could go to a quilt show is with a small child in tow, I would just as soon stay home.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM

I really do agree that infants and children have no place at an event like this. You say the grandmother is the sitter:rather than hiring anyone I would tell the MOTHER that she needs to stay home and take care of HER OWN child as the "sitter" is unavailable.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
I really do agree that infants and children have no place at an event like this. You say the grandmother is the sitter:rather than hiring anyone I would tell the MOTHER that she needs to stay home and take care of HER OWN child as the "sitter" is unavailable.
I'm sorry but I think that's sort of harsh if the mother is working and the grandmother agreed to take care of the baby while the mother worked. I doubt Mom is out partying and having a good time while leaving the baby with Grandma ...

I wouldn't take an infant (or any child under the age of 13) to a quilt show myself, but I see people who bring them to the Houston show all the time. If Grandma can handle carrying the baby in a sling, that's really the best way to do it, because a stroller is a hazard with so many people around.