Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Survive a Quilt Expo >

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
The grandmother IS the sitter. I would prefer not to go with the baby, but I can't go Friday, and can't imagine dealing with the Saturday crowd.
Then set your expectation levels to a low/medium and tell yourself you're only there to get a flavor of the quilt show. I always love the vendor aisle but the others here are right, it will be a quick show. The baby is going to respond to the energy and it won't be fun. BTW, take a sandwich and something to drink...the food lines and costs are ridiculous.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Intimistic View Post
This is going to sound expensive. my mother in law and I go together and rent an electric scooter. we load it with as many bags as we can for carrying things and take turns driving while the other runs interference. if you do this I recommend baby wearing. the little one won't be in the way if he/she is strapped in.
You might want to check your rental contract. I always rent a Scoot-A-Round scooter at the Houston Quilt Festival, and the contract specifically states that only the renter can operate the scooter. I think there are liability issues involved.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:44 AM

I'm frugal, so I leave my credit cards at home and take only the cash that I am willing to spend. It is easy to be tempted by all the vendors with lovely fabrics, great quilt gadgets.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM

I think it would be very cost-effective to hire a baby sitter. I get irritated when people bring babies to inappropriate places--concerts, quilt shows, or even restaurants. Nothing takes the edge off a rare night out for me than having to deal with a screaming child or children running in the aisles, etc. Surely adults can figure out how to leave babies at home for a while. A quilt show is such a wonderful experience, I would want it to be a good one.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

If you went, how did it go?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 PM

I like to go to a show for 2 days. Day one half quilts and all vendors. I take mental notes of items I must have . Go to evening rest place and work out which must have I really do need. Then day 2 rest of quilts and purchases.

I also try to fit in at least one short class each day. It gives you a sit down as well as knowledge.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
If possible, have your friend put her baby in a carrier (back, front, sling...any should work) and leave the stroller in the car. Most shows give your a bracelet or stamp your hand, so you can go in and out. Take the baby out of the show if he gets too fussy, you won't be able to enjoy yourself worrying about him. The Expo folks will let you back in if you have your bracelet/stamp.

Snacks and drinks are a must. However, most shows do not allow any liquids (including water and baby bottles) or foods into the area where the quilts are hanging, so you will have to eat and drink outside the area where the quilts are. Food/drinks are usually expensive to buy at the show.

As someone else mentioned, cool clothing and comfortable walking shoes. Leave your pocketbook at home and keep credit/debit card, driver's license, cash, etc., in a pouch that fits around your neck (Walmart sells these "nametag" pockets in the stationery section for $3). If you can't find a neck pouch, use a fanny pack. Bring a couple of cloth bags (like the ones you put groceries in) to put your purchases in or use a backpack (some shows will not allow backpacks). Also, don't forget any medications you need and it is also a good idea to carry Tylenol, Advil, aspirin, (whichever you use), antacids and bandaids (not usually available at convention centers and very expensive in hotels). Make sure your camera has a fully charged battery (or an extra), you have plenty of room on the memory card (or an extra) and your cellphone is charged and ready. (Most of these are probably self-explanatory and probably didn't need to be mentioned as this is probably not your first show).

Have a wonderful time! Take the show slowly - you probably will have to if the baby doesn't sleep - see everything and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Anita
Yep...ditch the stroller and carry the baby. When my youngest was a baby, we were travelling overseas a lot with my then husband's work. No stroller, just too cumbersome in airports and crowded city streets. Small people who are used to being carried in a sling or strapped in a carrier (preferably at the front) tend to sleep most of the time. The other will need a light backpack for supplies, snacks and baby paraphernalia. Have fun and let us know how you get on.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

zozee, how did it go???
Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Zozee - I hope you had a good time and all went well ! I bet you got lots of creative ideas, tips and treated yourself to some fun purchases

I have the opportunity to go to the Sewing & Quilt Expo in Lakeland on the Sat March 22 - I have never been to one anywhere before so I am really looking forward to it
Old 03-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Zozee, I hope you enjoyed the quilt expo with or without the baby. Because of your posts I knew it was there and my husband graciously went with me on Friday. The exhibit of early 20th century quilts was wonderful. I was surprised to see that they seemed to be all machine quilted. The patterns they were made from were like seeing old friends. I am mostly a hand quilter so I was not impressed with the many booths selling long arm machines. I did run into a number of my quilting friends. A guild I used to belong to had a booth selling chances on their raffle quilt. When they asked me to purchase a chance I told them the same thing I told everyone else selling chances. I have more than a trunk full of my own making. Ironically I won a raffle quilt from another guild a year or so ago. It is king size and not anywhere near my color scheme. My bed is only queen size and the quilt is to big for my bed. It is lovely and I will probably end up donating it to another group as a raffle prize. I already own six sewing machines. That number includes two stand alone embroidery machines, one a Bernina and the other a Brother. A Singer Featherweight, A Bernina serger and two Berina sewing machines. I neither have the money or space for another machine, especially not a long arm. I ran into a number of friends from another guild I used to belong to. I found out where I could donate children's special pillowcases in my local area. They had an exhibit there concerning that project. I will confess that I ended up not purchasing anything. The only thing I saw that I wanted was a pattern for a child's quilt. They didn't seem to have one available at the booth that was displaying it. I was amazed at the price of the kits. I know that $75 for a kit that included both all the fabric needed and the pattern is probably par for the course at most quilt shops these days. Since most of my quilts end up with the Linus Project I can't afford to spend that much money for one. I do most of my fabric shopping at JoAnns in their discounted area. Hope you enjoyed yourself.