Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Survive a Quilt Expo >

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM

Consider a "papoose pack" for the baby? Then maybe you could take turns wearing it? I also carry an empty shoulder bag for info, freebies, water bottle, etc.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 AM

TIPS???
As much as I love my GKids... leave the baby home, for you sake as well as theirs.

A 3 month old (A THREE MONTH OLD????) will be in a stroller (if allowed) and nearer the floor, with no air, no views except of legs, in the middle of noise - oh yes, there is NOISE!!! and with who knows what smells abound down there, not to mention germs floating around from the "public". Somewhere in there will be time for a nap (and for the baby, too!) to put your feet up or assess what you've seen; and a feeding (baby, too) and a potty break (diaper change...no comment).

Enjoy the show with your friend, or by yourself, with all the great suggestions above... decent shoes, backpack, limit buying, camera or camera-phone, handy purse for business cards and money/credit cards, etc.It will be a long day! or at least a few hours.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM

It might work out okay with the baby. Perhaps even better than it would with an older child. Babies often fall asleep when they get sensory overload. It is just their way of slowing down everything their minds have to process.
I hope you are having a lovely time!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Although I agree that going with an infant in tow might not be ideal, if it's the only option, then make the best of it.

Strollers vary greatly in size and maneuverability. If this is not one of the larger ones, it could be a boon - you can tuck small purchases in the basket underneath. A baby is easier than a toddler or young child who is mobile! Be ready to nicely ask people not to touch him.

Take only what you expect to need for 2 or 3 hours for the baby and leave the rest in the car. You can go out and back in if you need to. Perhaps both you and the baby will be glad to be able to go out for a bit, sit and rest while he has a bottle, then go back in. This will also allow you to have a healthy, inexpensive snack and drink - which might be hard to do if the venue prohibits bringing anything in.

For yourself, comfortable shoes, light clothing with a sweater over, no coat. Depending on how you prefer to carry packages, either a tote or backpack for anything you pick up, whether it's vendor information or purchases. If you don't want to write on the prorgram, a small note pad, as well as a pen. We think we'll remember the name of a pattern/tool/fabric, but when you've seen so many, it's easy to forget.

I wouldn't carry a purse, but would use a waist pack or something simlar to keep your ID, money or debit/credit card secure as well as whatever basics you require (medication, tissues). Most phones will take pictures and are smaller than a separate camera, so if you have that option, be sure it is fully charged when you go in and leave the camera.

As long as he is tended to and not let to cry excessivly if over stimulated, tired, hungry or in need of a change, I'm betting that for every glare you get, you'll get just as many people saying the baby is darling. Remember that he might need to go out to the car for a break, and accept that. I'd rather go and enjoy part of the show, if having him there causes you to leave early, than not go at all!

Last - take a picture! Little ___ at His First Quilt Show!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Going to the Quiltfest in Somerset, NJ tomorrow. Already have comfortable shoes, teeny timy purse with long straps for my essentials and my daughter who doesn't quilt but loves me enough to drive me to the show, about 1 hour away, and fetch and carry for me, not to mention, borrow her phone camera if they allow you to take pics.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:36 PM

Now Doris, that's how to go to a quilt show! With somebody as your courier! Love it! Have fun.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM

not going to talk about the baby. You are going tomorrow and will do what you have to. Since it will be tomorrow, unless you are able to make and print the labels mentioned above, just take some of the gazillion return address label you get in the mail. I trim mine down for size and add my phone number. If you want to buy raffle items or leave your information on a vendors list, you are ready to go. In fact, I almost always have some in the purse for quilt shops and quilt raffles. Hope you enjoy it; please let us know and maybe a picture of the 3 month old so talked about. Joyce in DE
Old 03-07-2014, 03:47 AM

It is a big day/hire a babysitter.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 AM

at the quilt expo here, no strollers. no rolling bags, allowed. bathroom lines are very long. you must exit the show to the vendor area to get anything to drink or eat, a cup of water is not allowed in the exhibit area. These are all good rules for a reason. I also use a backpack, and heavier items I purchase and pick up when I am ready to leave for the day.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Since I came home from a show last year with a black eye from getting hit in the face with a back pack, I don't recommend that either. Just another problem in life with being vertically challenged.