Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Survive a Quilt Expo >

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

How to Survive a Quilt Expo

Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

I recently went to quilt expo for the first time: here are my lessons learned:
1. WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES - there is a lot of walking, walking, walking
2. Use a cross over purse instead of a handbag.
3. Bring a shopping bag/ fabric tote bag that you can carry your purchases
4. Ask for business cards from each vendor you visit or wish to visit.
5. Do not bring bottle water as some shows do not allow personal food....if you do then don't get caught! Lol
6. If you are looking for something specific, do some on line research on prices before you go as some prices are not as good as you might think.
7. Set a spending limit; otherwise expect to spend more than you really want.....don't ask me how I know
8. If looking for fabric for a specific pattern then remember to bring the pattern
9. Never touch the display quilts
10. Buy a program booklet if available....usually cheap money, and make notes about the vendors you visit
11. As others have said , bring a camera or have a charged up cell phone to take pics
and lastly
12. Have FUN!

good luck, tell us what you thought of your first experience!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:44 PM

If possible, have your friend put her baby in a carrier (back, front, sling...any should work) and leave the stroller in the car. Most shows give your a bracelet or stamp your hand, so you can go in and out. Take the baby out of the show if he gets too fussy, you won't be able to enjoy yourself worrying about him. The Expo folks will let you back in if you have your bracelet/stamp.

Snacks and drinks are a must. However, most shows do not allow any liquids (including water and baby bottles) or foods into the area where the quilts are hanging, so you will have to eat and drink outside the area where the quilts are. Food/drinks are usually expensive to buy at the show.

As someone else mentioned, cool clothing and comfortable walking shoes. Leave your pocketbook at home and keep credit/debit card, driver's license, cash, etc., in a pouch that fits around your neck (Walmart sells these "nametag" pockets in the stationery section for $3). If you can't find a neck pouch, use a fanny pack. Bring a couple of cloth bags (like the ones you put groceries in) to put your purchases in or use a backpack (some shows will not allow backpacks). Also, don't forget any medications you need and it is also a good idea to carry Tylenol, Advil, aspirin, (whichever you use), antacids and bandaids (not usually available at convention centers and very expensive in hotels). Make sure your camera has a fully charged battery (or an extra), you have plenty of room on the memory card (or an extra) and your cellphone is charged and ready. (Most of these are probably self-explanatory and probably didn't need to be mentioned as this is probably not your first show).

Have a wonderful time! Take the show slowly - you probably will have to if the baby doesn't sleep - see everything and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Anita
Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 AM

Couldn't imagine taking a three month old to an event like this. Aside from trying to fight your way through the crowds it's not an environment I'd consider healthy for a little baby. As someone else said your friend is the sitter. You're there to enjoy yourself. I hope you have a lovely time.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:18 AM

Chip in for a sitter! I can only speak for the Expo in Cleveland, but it can be an overcrowded stampede. Even when strollers are allowed there are crowds trying to get into the booths and I've been slightly shoved and bumped by quilters trying to get a better view.
Always ask at the admissions booth if photo's are allowed - very often they aren't, and never in the vendor booths.
Know what you're planning to buy. If you have a project in mind and a colorway you won't spend as much.

Hope you have a great time.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 AM

I take with me two of my sisters. I would never take anyone younger. just say we are all on SS. We take a few classes, shop the first day, and mark all the booths we want to go bak to. Look at all ther quilts, and get what we might need for just ONE of them. the third day we BUY. By this time we have scoped out all the booths, found the best buys, and sometimes the FQ have been reduced (added bonus). number one rule is to have fun.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I don't do that much to get ready to go to a big quilt show. Just bring money and a large tote with water bottle and protein bar, allowed or not. I can sit and eat my bar at the cafe area without spending time waiting for food which is never that good and get back to the show. This being your first one, you will find out first hand what works best for you. My first time to a big quilt show I went with others, big mistake. I go to quilt shows by myself. I may meet up with others but I don't give rides or take a ride to one.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:24 AM

What I do with friends is go my own way once there. We set a time to meet in the food court.
Reason for: she wants to look at something you don't and vice versa. This way you and she will see what each wants to see and not take up valuable time for each other and then compare notes at food court and breaks.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
What I do with friends is go my own way once there. We set a time to meet in the food court.
Reason for: she wants to look at something you don't and vice versa. This way you and she will see what each wants to see and not take up valuable time for each other and then compare notes at food court and breaks.
Love this idea for the vendor areas. At bigger shows there can even be more than one, and it's difficult to see everything in a day. Separately you won't waste time hanging around booths you're not that interested in because your friend is -- or wasting even more valuable time hunting for and keeping track of each other.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 AM

Sounds like you've gotten all sorts of advice - mine would only be to have fun! I enjoy going with friends because you have someone to talk to about what you like, don't like, get opinions, etc. Definitely bring a sturdy bag for your purchases, wear comfy clothes/shoes and just enjoy yourself!! Don't worry about the baby - if they get fussy just go sit somewhere until they calm down then just carry on with the show!!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:55 AM

I'm not anti children but I always think "why don't the people that put on the shows think more about who is really buying and instead of children getting in free, charge more for a child than an adult". Kids aren't the ones putting out hundreds of $$ at these shows. They don't enjoy it and I don't enjoy dealing with them at these shows. Really, I love my children and grandchildren.