Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt this? >

How would you quilt this?

How would you quilt this?

Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Default How would you quilt this?

You all are just a wealth of ideas, so I figured I'd throw this at you.

I have a great longarm, but I'm a longarm rookie, so no ruler work suggestions please. I can do feather and featherish designs (if I draw them out first). I can also do squiggly straight lines, spirals, rosey things, some McTavish looking stuff, etc, and of course many all over free-hand patterns.

With that in mind, how would you quilt my quilt. It's a kaleidoscope made up of a cat fabric. It's intended as a family quilt leaning child quilt for the purpose of congratulating them all on the birth of their baby who is now about 3 months. The back will be a tossed Dr. Seuss fabric.

Oh, and the couple are both basketball players, so I thought the orange balls that formed were a nice touch...however, I'm not liking this quilt as much as when I first made it, so I'm considering starting over and doing something else. I'd like to quilt it and see if I like it better, but unfortunately, I can't because the Seuss fabric is special. The new little one loves her Horton, so I want to use him and his friends for the backing....

I figured maybe if you all give me great ideas for quilting it, it will help me picture it quilted and I'll feel more secure with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]468239[/ATTACH]

Thanks for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails howtoquilt.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:18 PM

I don't have any ideas just wanted to say WOW!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM

I'm afraid I can't help either, but someone on this great board will be able to give you ideas. I do love your quilt...you did a great job!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I love your top! I think I would SITD on the sashing and put a design in each kaleidoscope blocks. If it is for a girl, I would put a daisy like flower. If it is for a boy, maybe a circle swirl design.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:34 PM

I'd probably just do an allover edge to edge pattern with a pantograph, since it's for a baby. And since the front is busy---much of your quilting may not show up.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM

Thank you four for the praise and ideas. I think this is one of those tops that if I let it sit for 10 years like I have some of my tops, I'd like it better. Right now I don't like it at all....so...

Thanks for the quilting suggestion, justabitcrazy. I think I'll do something like you've suggested. The white space around the blue border maybe would be a good place for something other than an allover design but yes, otherwise, I am totally with you!

Oh, one of the things I was thinking about is writing the names of mom, dad, grandmas, grandpas, aunt and uncle in some of the borders around blocks....and possibly doing the names in glow in the dark thread! But yeah, maybe meander the rest.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM

If I was doing it on my regular machine I would SID on the sashing area and maybe on the circles of the printed fabric.................very nice quilt.............calla
Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Well I like it - a LOT! In fact I like it so much I'm thinking that the pattern might be perfect for some fabric I've been saving for a OBW or a S&W.

Do you have some of the fabric that you used on the top left? I'd love to see it.

As far as quilting ideas, I'm not much help. If you do something consistently in the sashing it will unify the quilt blocks. Maybe some nice feathers in the border? If you were willing to do ruler work I might suggest some more triangles within the setting triangles, going right into the blue tops of those setting triangles.

I really, really, really like this quilt top.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Check out the tutorial by Feline Fanatic ..here is a link. I think it helps to plan/doodle/sketch ideas. She uses paper..I often use waxed paper. I also practice what I am planning to quilt on a white board. Dont' put your elbow down-you are training your arm and shoulder. Can't wait to see what you decide!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...f-t243306.html

PS I 'see' quilting designs EVERYWHERE! I have been known to talk pictures of walls, carpet, bags, tshirts...whereever I see a pattern! You just never know when that design might come in handy!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I love your top! I think I would SITD on the sashing and put a design in each kaleidoscope blocks. If it is for a girl, I would put a daisy like flower. If it is for a boy, maybe a circle swirl design.

I like this idea for this beautiful quilt but I can see why you might want to just do an edge to edge design since it is for a young child. Even at that I like your idea of "writing" the names of all the relatives in the borders.