Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you want someone to react? >

How would you want someone to react?

How would you want someone to react?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 AM

I prefer to know what a person wants before I give them a quilt I have a stack on my spare bed and if they want a quilt or wall hanging I let them pick or else tell me what they like and want I learned a long time ago that not everyone appreciates quilts I have heard them call them homemade blankets I enjoy making them but keep them until someone wants one and I have sold quite a few when someone pays for one I know they really want it as for me I do have 2 stuffed in a closet that were given to me and I keep them for the memories and did tell them thank you
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 AM

I'm a giver and I enjoy giving quilts that I have made to people I care deeply about. I never just put something together that I like, for a gift. I will ask what they would like and show some examples of quilts out of my magazines and let them choose. If someone wants to regift a gift, its ok. Regifting is Biblical.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:02 AM

I know it doesn't answer the question, but when I give a quilt, it often goes with the 'ok to do whatever you want with it'

My vet has gone above and beyond for me, and I see signs that he's doing the same for others (lots of charity work) I'm making him a dog themed quilt, and giving it with my 'permission' to use it as he sees fit.

I've already done that with others, various people who work in charities. I make the quilt for them, but I let them know it's theirs, to do with as they want. I don't really know what they decided
Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 AM

I would rather see a quilt in the Salvo or Good Will knowing there will be someone who will gladly make a worthy donation for the thrill of attaining a valued handmade item. Often times, it is the person who parts with something deemed valueless, that later regrets it. If the quilt doesn't match one's decor, I would fold it and keep it in the back seat of my car for picnics/emergencies. How about a donation to a nursing home?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 AM

I've never had an offer of a quilt by anyone, but if I did, I would be so happy and would really appreciate all the hard work that went into it...I would definitely use it, regardless of the color, fabrics, etc.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 AM

Everyone I've given quilts to has seemed to like and enjoy using them. Of course, they have been mostly for family and friends who I pretty much knew what colors they would like. Only one DIL never responsed to my offier to make her a lap quilt for their TV room so I haven't made her one for herself. I have several for each of her 3 DDs and one for her DH (my DS#1). I've also made lots of quilts for babies and most of their Moms never have touched a sewing machine so they were easy to impress with my limited quilting skills. May in Jersey
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 AM

First, I would never make a quilt for someone unless they asked me specifically and told me what they wanted. It is way too much money and too much of my precious time to give to someone who would not appreciate it. If I was ever given a quilt that did not meet my taste, I would accept it, tell the giver it is very much appreciated and I would use it. My son loves to cuddle up with anything warm and he does not care if it matches nor do I. If the giver thought enough of me to make it and gift it, then I darn well will use it and enjoy it.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:43 AM

I worked in a nursing home for many years. There was a lady we were taking care of and she was a quilter. She then told her husband how to quilt. Later on he started to come to her room with all these small lap quilts. He gave all of us girls a lap quilt and said thank you for taking such good care of my wife. The quilt is in my closet but I still think of them when I look at it and the thought gives me a warm fuzzy. That is all i care about. I is the thought that counts.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 AM

You can always find something nice to say to someone. Others have already said how you can say thanks for thinking of me and then you can find something about that quilt that is nice, the pattern, the stitches, one color. There is always something great about a gift if you want to see it that way.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 AM

I would say thank you and tell them how pleased I am that they spent the tmie to make it for me. You doin't need to display it in a room that you use all the time but surely it could go in an out of the way place. I think it's the thought that counts. I would have hurt feelings if someone did that to me.