Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you want someone to react? >

How would you want someone to react?

How would you want someone to react?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM

When I have received-handmade gifts, whether to my liking or not, my mind goes immediately to all the time, work, money and effort that the giver has put into the gift, just for me,
and I am thrilled. I usually can find some way to use the item so that I am reminded of the givers generosity
Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Default helenquilt

My daughter in Laws and I get along great but I would not give either of them a quilt. What I do is have several made and let them choose the one they want. The one that was my very favorite my DIL through over in the corner(so I brought it back home). I had taken several to her house for her to chose.Two DIL were offered quilts for Christmas but didn't have time to look at them. One is anxious to come back and pick one out, the other may never since she didn't react at all.
So I give them to somone who coments on how they like them.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 AM

All quilts do not have to go on the top of the bed -- they are warm where ever they go, even under other quilts or bedspreads. I even use some upside-down when I don't care for the top. Remember, "it's the thought that counts."
Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 AM

I would respond by dropping dead from shock! Everybody expects me to make them. The closest I have come is trading a top with a very dear friend. I didn't care much for the one she sent me but I finished it promptly and absolutely love that she made it. She is beyond making anymore now and I am just grateful to have it. My 16 year old DGD would probably rather just have cash but I am giving her a nice quilt for Christmas more for me and probably the last for her. She may or may not say thank you but my DGS will rave about his no matter what and that is all I need from him. I give appropriate fabric design wall hangings or kids quilts which are usually well received.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I would thank the person who made it and probably keep it on the bed in the spare room; I love hand made gifts and appreciate the effort and time that someone spent in "thinking" of me.

My step son (who lives with us) has burned holes in my sheets and comforters, and has never washed his bedding for the year he has been here. When we move (no HE IS NOT moving with us I draw the line here) I will keep that bedding to put on the bed if/when he spends the night. I would not even put a quilt that I did not like on the spare bed when he is there. At 28 there is no excuse!!!!!
sorry, but someone needs to be the grownup here and wash the bedding ....... get your hubby to help, the mattress will be ruined at this rate.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Gift giving and personal preferences

I agree with the comment about consulting the recipient about colors and patterns. I realize this may not always be possible. My 20-something kids were here for Christmas and before they left we all went to the LQS. They each chose a pattern and fabric for the quilts I want to make for them. Good thing, too! What they chose really surprised me (ultra-modern daughter chose a classic, flowery Victorian quilt kit and son chose a simple pattern made in muted sage-colored fabrics). I'm sure I would not have chosen the same for them in a million years, but now I have two projects to sew with love - knowing they will be well received.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 AM

I, too, love Charity Crafter's responce. He did the best he could with the knowledge and materials at hand. Not only does she have something made by him for her, she also has 2" snippets of memories of her aunt to help keep all the other memories close at hand.
We should never forget that some of the most prized "art" quilts are the ugliest creations ever.
Joyce888---why don't you and your sister work on it together, finish it, then donate (in your mother's name, of course) it to a charity to raffle off? Someone will love it.

BTW, two of my sisters made a quilt that they called "Naughty Knickers", not out of panties but made to look like panties and some of the blocks were pretty risque. I don't know of anyone that would every use it but it won Best in Show and People's Choice at a quilt show----held in a church! It's king size too.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
"Oh, wow, I can see all the love that went into this. Thank you for such a thoughtful gift."

I had to do this when my elderly uncle took up quilting right after his wife died. He came to a family reunion with 15 lap size tied quilts. He used old sheets for the backing-not a problem except that he didn't cut away the hems and there's a questionable stain in one corner. What a wonderful mess it was. He thought that since he grew up with his mother quillting and all she did was cut fabric into small pieces and sew it back to together that he could do the same thing. He called me "you'lll never guess what I found up at the Walmarts...a razor blade on a stick!"

So he cut up my aunt's entire fabric stash into ~2" squares-now my aunt did not quilt, she made clothes so there was a wide variety of fabrics to begin with.

Then my uncle remembered that grandma would cut up all clothes to make quilts. So he cut up her entire wardrobe into 2" squares. Oh, my. It was fun looking at the squares to see what all he cut up-double knit polyester, bras, slips, upholstery fabric, pleather. He didn't remove any of the embellishments so there are little pieces of lace and beads too.

The batting is only in the center of the quilt, he was in the beginning of raw edge quilting before they even had a name for it, he didn't bother the turn under the binding. It's a complete wreck....but I love it because he did the best he could with his knowledge. I think it helped him work through the grief of losing his wife of 50 yrs.

It's sitting in the closet with all the other quilts that family have given me or I've made. I pull it out as an object lesson to remind me to slow down and pay attention to detail.
Such a loving story. I'm so glad you can appreciate it love that went into it.

Cheers, K
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bibliogirl View Post
My grandmother made beautiful quilts. When she died she left several blocks of the 1950s "Maple Leaf" for a quilt she never made. The blocks were beautiful. My sister took them and had them put together and handquilted. There were 3 of us girls and my sister wanted the quilt rotated each year among us. When I saw the finished quilt I wanted to cry. All of the blocks were sewn together, no plain blocks in between or any sashing to set them off. It was a hodge podge. The sister who had it put together has since died and the quilt went to me. I showed it to my other sister for her "turn" and she refused to have it because it really was ugly. I am the only one of the 3 of us who quilts and I am thinking seriously of taking the quilt apart and lay it out the way I think my grandmother would have done it because she had made the same quilt pattern several times. It would be quite a job, but I think my grandmother would not like this quilt. Should I try to make it into the quilt it deserves to be?
I think you should go ahead and redo the quilt. You will be happier and your other sister may also enjoy seeing the blocks set better.

Cheers, K
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM

That is a tough question. I think we all need to be gracious in receiving a gift even though it is not exactly what we may want.