Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hubby's question >

hubby's question

hubby's question

Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 AM

On todays forum someone had an Attic Window/ I Spy quilt that would work great too. She had placed pictures in the windows.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
On todays forum someone had an Attic Window/ I Spy quilt that would work great too. She had placed pictures in the windows.
That is just too cool! I love that idea. I'm wanting to do something like that for my DD but I want it to be a family history type of thing.

She was three when I was doing my last big bout of genealogy and we'd spent weeks identifying old pictures. I'd tell her who each one was. One day she was looking at a book called "The History of Christ in Art" when she came across some very ornate Russian (?) paintings, she said, "Oh mommy, that's bootiful. What cousin is that?"
And that has nothing to do with anything I just wanted to share. :-D
Old 04-15-2010, 04:07 PM

I loved that!! Bootiful sounds real familair. Will look forward to seeing your memory quilt. Glad my idea sduited you. Carol
Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 PM

I made a rag quilt from my Brother in law's T shirts, i purchased a couple plain white T shirts to use to put photos on and used flannel for the layers. It came out great, very soft and comfy. I will look for a photo and post later.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
I loved that!! Bootiful sounds real familair. Will look forward to seeing your memory quilt. Glad my idea sduited you. Carol
It may be awhile, I've got several in one stage or another right now that I have to finish first.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 PM

I made my son just a regular quilt, using the pineapple pattern and bluejean pockets for the center. You might use some of his jeans and t-shirts and make several differnet type of blocks for one side and make it reversible by making a separate quilt so to speak on the back. I like the idea of the football fabric, If it isn't flannel, perhaps you could make a log cabin frame around one or more of his football pictures, and make a few blocks for team mate signatures on blocks. Be sure to get one of his football pict. or a late pic. to put on the back if you go with a signature theme. This would be like a year book so to speak for his family. This might also be good for best friends, members of his class and family members. This signature block setting might make a perfect backing for the quilt. Since his school mascot is the Patriot, perhaps list on the back if you decide on signatures, something like " Our Beloved Patriot" or something representing his team mascot as well as the colors. The High School I graduated from in Ky. were the Patriots and our colors were red white and blue.
I think it would be so neat to have baby pictures, elem. jr. high and high school pict. as well as family pictures on the quilt. If you don't want to go with signatures, perhaps a family tree on the back with pics. and signature blocks listing names and dates. Whatever you do I know it will turn out to be a great quilt.
I am getting ready to make a memory quilt for my daughter this summer, using baby pic. on up to current. I am mulling over a pattern as well.
This is so nice of you to do this for your friend. Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Google Goddess

will you have pictures, and tshirts to use to make the quilt
Old 04-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Two women at our church have each lost a daughter - one 2 year old and one a 19 year old. They each have approached me about making quilts with the girls' clothing. We decided to make small doll dresses, fronts only, out of their clothing, and applique the little dresses onto quilt blocks.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM

thank you for the ideas and pic of Chad's quilt. I have a box of my brother's clothes for 5 years now. I think I am at the point where I could make a quilt for my nephew and a small wall hanging for me. Until now, everytime I forget what box it's in and I open it I get a jab in my heart.

Anyway, time for me to be brave and do this. I like the attic window idea- we made a cd of everyone's pics after he died and I can use a lot of them too.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

If you are going to have pic's what about warm wishes?????