Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: hubby's question

My hubby came in from his shop last night and was surprised that I wasn't sewing. He thought I might be sick or something. I'm just mulling over my next project. I need some inspiration on the memorial quilt I'm making for some friends who lost their 18-year-old son in a car accident last month. His mom is sending me pictures to use and hopefully a pattern will occur to me after I see the pictures.

Maybe you could start with the youngest picture and then work your way up to the oldest in some sort of pattern.

The pattern I like for memorial quilts is where you go around the picture with a border then cut it at an angle on each side, then add another border and do the same thing. You can add as many borders as you want. When you sew it together the pictures can be upright or at different angles. I prefer the upright pix. I don't know what it's called but each border is wide at the top and then narrows down to a point at the bottom corner.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    The pattern I like for memorial quilts is where you go around the picture with a border then cut it at an angle on each side, then add another border and do the same thing. You can add as many borders as you want. When you sew it together the pictures can be upright or at different angles. I prefer the upright pix. I don't know what it's called but each border is wide at the top and then narrows down to a point at the bottom corner.
    Nice idea. I've also got a necktie and a skirt to incorporate into the design. Yikes!

I did one 2 sided quilt for a co-worker. The school pics and family pics that were more formal were put in a pattern. The back was done scrapbook style. Her pics of her son and family were scrapbooked by her daughters, so I thought I would incorperate the idea into the quilt. The sisters had each written a poem for their brother, So it went on it too. The family loved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did he have certain interests? You could use fabric that included motifs to represent his interests. i think a memory quilt should celebrate his life and the unique individual that he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon321
    Did he have certain interests? You could use fabric that included motifs to represent his interests. i think a memory quilt should celebrate his life and the unique individual that he was.
    I absolutely agree. He was on the HS football team. Their team is the Patriots, so his mom and I decided on red, white and blue as the colors. I'll use the pictures she sends me and I found some perfect fabric from Timeless Treasures with a navy background and footballs on it. I bought 1/2 yard at the quilt show last weekend and found another 1 yard on-line, so I have that to incorporate as well.

I'm struggling with the same problem, so was glad you brought this up. I made a memorial quilt for my grandaughter (of my son who passed-her dad), but it was lost in a house fire. She wants another and I want to make it better then the first. Watching all the ideas you all have! BJ

Quote Originally Posted by lnordyke
    My hubby came in from his shop last night and was surprised that I wasn't sewing. He thought I might be sick or something. I'm just mulling over my next project. I need some inspiration on the memorial quilt I'm making for some friends who lost their 18-year-old son in a car accident last month. His mom is sending me pictures to use and hopefully a pattern will occur to me after I see the pictures.
    I like to use the clothing ie. blue jeans, western shirt, or anything usable of the deceased to make a memory quilt. I have made rag quilts with blue jeans. I have seen the "Yellow brick road" pattern used with the denim. The people I have made these for really appreciate them.

I made a memorial quil last year using the log cabin pattern, placing the pictures in the center then coordinating fabric of special interests, turned out wonderful. I'm sure whatever pattern you pick, the quilt will be cherished.

Blog Entries
    On todays forum someone had an Attic Window/ I Spy quilt that would work great too. She had placed pictures in the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    On todays forum someone had an Attic Window/ I Spy quilt that would work great too. She had placed pictures in the windows.
    That is just too cool! I love that idea. I'm wanting to do something like that for my DD but I want it to be a family history type of thing.

She was three when I was doing my last big bout of genealogy and we'd spent weeks identifying old pictures. I'd tell her who each one was. One day she was looking at a book called "The History of Christ in Art" when she came across some very ornate Russian (?) paintings, she said, "Oh mommy, that's bootiful. What cousin is that?"
    And that has nothing to do with anything I just wanted to share. :-D

Blog Entries
    I loved that!! Bootiful sounds real familair. Will look forward to seeing your memory quilt. Glad my idea sduited you. Carol

I made a rag quilt from my Brother in law's T shirts, i purchased a couple plain white T shirts to use to put photos on and used flannel for the layers. It came out great, very soft and comfy. I will look for a photo and post later.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    I loved that!! Bootiful sounds real familair. Will look forward to seeing your memory quilt. Glad my idea sduited you. Carol
    It may be awhile, I've got several in one stage or another right now that I have to finish first.

Blog Entries
    I made my son just a regular quilt, using the pineapple pattern and bluejean pockets for the center. You might use some of his jeans and t-shirts and make several differnet type of blocks for one side and make it reversible by making a separate quilt so to speak on the back. I like the idea of the football fabric, If it isn't flannel, perhaps you could make a log cabin frame around one or more of his football pictures, and make a few blocks for team mate signatures on blocks. Be sure to get one of his football pict. or a late pic. to put on the back if you go with a signature theme. This would be like a year book so to speak for his family. This might also be good for best friends, members of his class and family members. This signature block setting might make a perfect backing for the quilt. Since his school mascot is the Patriot, perhaps list on the back if you decide on signatures, something like " Our Beloved Patriot" or something representing his team mascot as well as the colors. The High School I graduated from in Ky. were the Patriots and our colors were red white and blue.
    I think it would be so neat to have baby pictures, elem. jr. high and high school pict. as well as family pictures on the quilt. If you don't want to go with signatures, perhaps a family tree on the back with pics. and signature blocks listing names and dates. Whatever you do I know it will turn out to be a great quilt.
    I am getting ready to make a memory quilt for my daughter this summer, using baby pic. on up to current. I am mulling over a pattern as well.
    This is so nice of you to do this for your friend. Good Luck.

Blog Entries
    will you have pictures, and tshirts to use to make the quilt

Blog Entries
    Two women at our church have each lost a daughter - one 2 year old and one a 19 year old. They each have approached me about making quilts with the girls' clothing. We decided to make small doll dresses, fronts only, out of their clothing, and applique the little dresses onto quilt blocks.

thank you for the ideas and pic of Chad's quilt. I have a box of my brother's clothes for 5 years now. I think I am at the point where I could make a quilt for my nephew and a small wall hanging for me. Until now, everytime I forget what box it's in and I open it I get a jab in my heart.

Anyway, time for me to be brave and do this. I like the attic window idea- we made a cd of everyone's pics after he died and I can use a lot of them too.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    If you are going to have pic's what about warm wishes?????