Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna >

Husqvarna

Husqvarna

Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 AM

I currently have an Elna 6200 machine and have been offered a Husqvarna Sapphire 835 (no walking/quilting foot) for £350 (aprox $500).

We have very little money as my husband has just been made redundant and little prospect of more work - we are both at retirement age so income will continue to decline!
My question is: do you think that this would be a good buy or should I carry on saving and try for something bigger/better in the future? Not sure what that would be, I use the machine for patchwork, quilting, general sewing - I probably would never get in to embroidery in a big way but enjoy quilting and would like to improve fmq etc.

Thanks to all in anticipation of your advice and suggestions.

PenelopeG
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 AM

Sorry to hear about your husband. I'm not really able to comment on the specific machines but I can share my experience of having a new machine (Singer) and an old Husqvarna. For me the single biggest benefit of the new machine is that its significantly lighter than the old one, which means I can easily take it along to a class. Other than that there is really nothing I can do on the new machine that I couldn't do on the old one.

If your Elna is doing what you need it to do, maybe stick with it?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 AM

The Husqvarna is a good machine and that sounds like a great price. It is not a small machine (larger harp space) and wouldn't be one that I would want to cart to classes. It will take a little getting used to as it does not have a lever to lower the pressure foot which seems "weird" at first. I'm not familiar with your old machine so can't compare the two. If money is tight, it will have to be all about your priorities.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:33 AM

I have 2 husqvarna machine (Rose, D1) and love them, but I have heard that the 835 has had some issues. I am not sure if the rumors are true but thought I would share them with you
Old 07-18-2011, 03:43 AM

I have had the 850 Sapphire that would still have had it but was offered to upgrade. I loved the 850. The machine is worth the money $1900 if there is nothing wrong with it, don't need a walking foot by the way.

But the real question is can you afford it. My husband had a retirement pension that was taken illegally over by our government. We lost over a 1,000 per month when that happened. 22,000 retires have banded together and we are in our second year in suit. (Independent researchers have found corruption and illegal things I cant mention yet.) But I know it is painful. I would caution you on spending if there are no reserves in the bank. In today economy we have to remember it is important to survive .

If you determine you can afford it, then make sure it has the cd and all the feet it came with. I have a cd ,if you want, it is yours. If you have tried it out make sure you try the freemotion quilting feature, thats why I bought mine. If need be you can sell the elna.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

is there something wrong with your current machine that you have to replace it?
people quilt quite successfully with $89 brother machines- if your machine works for you i would not spend money on something more expensive - especially when it does not come with features you would be looking for (ie: walking foot,,)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 AM

Since your dh's situation is quite new, maybe you ought to see how much it costs you to live, unless you are one of those super organized folks that already know (i'm not!).

We went out on a very short pension and used up most of our "free" money in 3 years, but then I got a disability pension and got back most of that money as payback for the 3 yrs I should have been getting the pension. Anyway, I'm frinding it more and more expensive right now.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:07 AM

I think you do need a walking foot & a darning foot to enjoy your Sapphire 835 if you are wanting to machine quilt with it. The walking foot alone is approx. $100 here in Canada. I have the 870 and other than the larger harp I think you'd be just as happy with your Elna if is pieces nicely.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 AM

I think you have to weigh Want vs Need . Yes it is a good price ... but its still a cost . What will it really do better than what you have now?
I am always thinking I should get a new machine when I see all the great features that are on the newer machines. ... but when it comes down to it ... 99 percent of the time I am sewing a straight 1/4 inch seam.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:26 AM

I have the 830 and love it! I have an extra foot for free motion quilting if it will fit yours and you get the new machine let me know and I can mail it to you. I thought I lost the that foot and replaced it! I hope things pick up for you in the near future.