Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick!! >

I am just sick!!

I am just sick!!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Banned

Oh man, I'd have been POed.. :(
Old 07-26-2009, 05:06 AM

I know about those people who don't appreciate the work too but it seems you son does love his quilt. I too would be ashamed to tell someone their gift was ruined or broken. I recently made 3 small quilts 2 that we will take camping. They are meant to be drug in the dirt, and loved. I showed them to a friend and she her sister in law said, Man I wouldn't let kids use those. She would freak out if she knew what I do about how my grandkids will love their quilts. And what the heck would i do with a Sponge Bob quilt hidden in a closet? Wanna bet Sponge Bob will get a bath on day 2 of camping? LOL
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I can relate to your upset about the dog damaging the quilt you made. I would be sick about it and furious at them.

The dog is now gone - do they have another one?

When people see adds for "any size hand-quilted quilt for $39.99" in the newspapers, it probably should not be a surprise that a non-quilter does not have any idea how much it costs - just in materials - to make a quilt.

If they are consistently careless, give them store-bought things.

In this case, I think I'd wait for a bit before going to the next step.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:03 AM

when my mother was alive, she made my sister a king sized crochet bedspread. you know where this is going. when i saw my mother crying over it, i browbeat my sister. her answer was " i didn't ask her to do it".
wouldn't you think i'd learn something from this?

now, all these years later, she asked me to make a wall quilt. i made it bed size thinking it would hang and nothing bad would happen to it. i gave it to her months ago. she said, " oh thanks', put it aside, and i haven't seen it on a wall. last time i was there, i saw it, still folded up, on the floor, in a corner of the bedroom. i'm counting the days until her 4 labs play on it and tear it, or worse.

guess when she's getting another from me. only one guess, now.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing

10th of NEVER??
Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 AM

I want everything I make to be loved to death. Use it, abuse it, wear it out. Do whatever you will with it. Camping, picnic, etc. When it leaves my hands, it's yours.

Pets are like "children" to a lot of people. (I'm not one of them, but I'm not going to judge them.) You don't get upset if a baby spits up or otherwise on a quilt. Likewise, you can't blame a dog for doing stupid doggie things.

I'd be more upset if it had been given to Goodwill, sold on Craigslist, or was sitting unused in a closet.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
when snowballs fly in Hades?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:10 AM

sorry, you're both right, but i hijacked.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:20 AM

I can't see blaming your son or daughter-in-law for the dog's destruction. It's not that they "didn't take care of" the quilt. It was exactly where it was supposed to be. Unless they knew their dog had a habit of chewing up things like that, there'd be no reason to suspect the dog would damage the quilt.

My first thought was, your son and his wife are all grown up now. If they'd wanted you to repair the quilt, they would have told you what happened back when it happened and asked you if it could be repaired. You said they're always asking for things. So since they didn't make the request, I wouldn't repair it. If they ever do ask, then put it on your list. Since they didn't ask right away, it can wait until it's convenient for you. And basic patching should be fine.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Could be they were embarrassed.