Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick!! >

I am just sick!!

I am just sick!!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by gcathie
guess I see it a little different.......seems to me he knew this would hurt you and couldn't tell you about what happened to the quilt....after the fact he should have known better .......and they weren't thinking when the dog was left in there and accidents do happen........I would make a new one and say now take care of this one......after all it is just a quilt......and life goes on..........I'm a fine one to give advice....I pretty much have all my quilts cause I can't stand the thought of someone not loving them like I do....:-)

Common Mom...forgive and make him another.....you both will feel better for it......:-).....Boys will be boys....yatta yattta....:-)
I agree with gcathie. I had a pitbull, he was a big baby but he was very destructive! He even ate through my comforter (thank God I didn't quilt then) sheets, mattress pad and mattress. The hole he put in the mattress was as big as a pillow. That is only one of MANY instances of things he destroyed. I'd fix the quilt for my son................ this time! :lol:
Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Originally Posted by Ninnie
You should go get it and bring it home with you!!!!!
AND KEEP IT. He does not deserve anything hand made if he is going to treat it like that. You put too much time into this for it to be wrecked!!

A friend of mine once told me she made a quilt for her mother. The mother put the hand made quilt on the bed to protect a store bought comforter from getting dirty by the dog jumping on it. She said she would NEVER AGAIN make anything for her mother.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you for REAL!!!!!!!!!! Yep.. that would be the last time I made anything for someone like that too!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 AM

I know how you feel- but the opposite. I give the quilt with the instruction that I want it used and loved. And if it ever needs repair, it's OK, I'll fix it.

I was one of those Moms that saved it "for good", not realizing the maker was really wanting to be used and seen on the bed. My girls appreciate the hand made quilt and afghan from their godmothers, but they wish they were allowed to use them.

I was a bit miffed recently, I made a really pretty girly girl quilt for my daughter's best friend's little one. I told I expect to see this toddler getting attached to it and wanting to make it her special blankie. Guess what- her Grandmother took it to her house- 2 hours away to put it on a bed that the little girl sleeps in every few months. She wanted to make sure she didn't ruin it. I told daughter they need to get it back- it's Izy's quilt, not her Grandmothers.

Bottom line- once it leaves your hands, no more control. :(
Old 07-28-2009, 05:10 AM

That is why I sew for charity.....so sorry, I know how hurt you must feel...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 AM

Wow; a lot of mixed answers on this. But thank you ; I do appreciate all your different comments. I haven't talked to my son yet, but will see him Friday and mention it then. I am sure he was just ashamed about it happening and didn't want to say anything to me ,to hurt my feelings. I was shocked at first, when I saw the quilt; but reading all your comments---it sunk in that it was just a "thing". it can be patched or replaced. The dog is gone now and it wasn't her fault. I never blamed the dog anyways. It's the people that don't think. If he wants me to patch it , I will , just so it doesn't fall apart more .
Elaine
Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 PM

You give a gift, you walk away...simple. If he didn't come carrying that quilt to your door and asked for help w/a big sobbing story...I would have pretended I didn't see it or know about it. Do the same! Even though you have seen it, you are not doing him of any service to run and fix anything he didn't ask for you to fix. Yes, you have much time and pleasure the first round...you giveth...he either taketh and taketh w/good care...or he don't and then he'd not getteth anything more!!... Fixing it will fix it for how long? And, what did he learn? And, what did you learn?:)Might not be what you really want to hear...but, that's where I'd put my foot...on the door to hold it shut!:)Skeat
Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 PM

I'm in the once you give a gift--it's out of your hands crowd. What he does with it--he does with it. It sure doesn't sound like it was on purpose.

I almost only give ragged flannels away--I feel they are the snuggliest of all quilts, but there's less work in them too. :wink:
Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 PM

"I saw that your quilt was damaged. Bring it over and I will put a couple patches on it."

Extend mercy and just love on your son, even when he screws up.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM

well i'll tell yall a good one too. I made my neighbor lady a basket out of cloth, it had 3 layers of fabric , one layer was embroidered on, and it was the way you sew it together and then use snaps etc that made it a basket. well, anyhow it was very time consuming to make. so here's what she did with that. can u believe she tore it all apart, and used the embroidered piece for a doily on her little table. i was just sick about it and i have not and will not make her anything again. i think she should have brought it back to me and told me she just didn't like it or didn't have any use for it and would i make her a embroidered doily. i definitely would have done that. i'll attach a pic of it.

side view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41985[/ATTACH]

looking down on it vew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41986[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41985.jpe   attachment-41986.jpe  
Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by dojo36
well i'll tell yall a good one too. I made my neighbor lady a basket out of cloth, it had 3 layers of fabric , one layer was embroidered on, and it was the way you sew it together and then use snaps etc that made it a basket. well, anyhow it was very time consuming to make. so here's what she did with that. can u believe she tore it all apart, and used the embroidered piece for a doily on her little table. i was just sick about it and i have not and will not make her anything again. i think she should have brought it back to me and told me she just didn't like it or didn't have any use for it and would i make her a embroidered doily. i definitely would have done that. i'll attach a pic of it.
That is so beautiful made, its really amazing and if i was lucky enough to receive something like this i would have taken very very good care about it and cherish it forever; especially because you can see how much love and work and effort that has gone into making it. ( any idiot(yes even an idiot,lol) should see this has been a very time consuming and lots of work involved.

Again its really pretty