Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am tired...stash sorting? >

I am tired...stash sorting?

I am tired...stash sorting?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Then she is not the only one. I am a organizing fanatic. I love being able to find what I want when I need it. I hate clutter, it just drives me nuts. I am very much an organizer. My friends tease me about it all the time, but they really love it, and I have helped some of them get organized after they asked to to help.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 PM

My fat quarters are in clear shoe boxes by color. Christmas fat quarters in their own box, and novelties in their own shoebox. My yardages are in huge clear plastic drawers. I can see the layer and easily access them. My precut angles, circles shapes are in individual clear shoe boxes. Binding strips are in one. My small pre-cut scraps are in clear, labeled, lunch meat tubs by size cut. I told you I was an organizer........Shirley
Old 06-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Pab58 I had to smile at your post. The way you arrange everything, reminds me so much of my dear Mother, who has been gone for 20 yrs. now. My Mother arranged her pantry so well that we always said even if it was dark, Mother could go to the pantry and pull out a certain can vegetable or can of soup. My pantry does not look like hers and Mother would really cringe if she saw mine now. I think it is so great to be that organized.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Misty - Very nice stash, looks like a mini fabric store. I like how neatly your fabric is arranged and stored.
I too sort by color, dark on the bottom -light on top. I am currently cleaning and arranging my fabrics and storage area. I started last month before school was out, and since I do not work during the summer so I am finally trying to get it done, slowly but surely (retired teacher- back working as tutorial teacher thru school yr.). My major problem, I have too much other sewing stuff in the sewing area and I don't have a separate room to use just for sewing. I still have my patterns for regular sewing, my crocheting ufos and thread, elastic, buttons, bias tape, and boo coos more sewing stuff. I also have so may quilt books and patterns. During my teaching career, I used 3 ring binders with my curriculum pages I needed in plastic sleeves. I taught 1st grade for 21 yrs. So I have binders and sleeves left from then, so I have been putting all of my loose leaf patterns, quilting tips, etc into the plastic sleeves and binders, labeling my binders, which really helps out. Hopefully I will get all of this mess in some order before summer is over. Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that I will. I have decided I am not going to quilt until I get this finished. That's killing me, I think every day, I need to start cutting for this or finish that, but have been doing pretty go, but have had so many interruptions, Dr.'s visits, funerals, errand running etc. that I can't seem to get it finished yet, but I will hopefully this week!!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:36 PM

i do mine in differant holiday stacks then the everyday fabric i put it in color groups
Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 AM

I have redone mine a couple of time, but still not sure what is best. Many have several colors so they could go with a lot of different things. I do keep Christmas and Red, white and blues seperated together???? (is that an oxymoron or something) but the others are pretty mixed up. Sometimes it is easier to pick things that go together, that I might not see if they were only sorted by color. Maybe I'll do enough quilts someday that being more organized will feel better, but I doubt it, I'm not that organized with other things. Guess it all comes down to personality.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:05 AM

I separate mine by plains (and almost plains), small prints, large prints, flannels/fleece, batiks, stripes/plaids and kids' prints.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:12 AM

I don't have enough of a stash to put out or organize it all fits into one of those grocery bags that are re-usable. I got one from the quilt show I attended and it works great. I also have a sewing box with fabric that I am working out of for projects. I have about 4 projects going at the moment.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 AM

What a great feeling, tired but happy.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 AM

I am waiting to get my room done. I sort dark to light right now too :)