Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I bought 40 Olfa blades!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
    Someone on here said they get theirs at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools and they were much less expensive. I've looked for the post but I can't get it back. Evidently they use them for installing carpet or something. My DH looked at Harbor Freight and said he couldn't find them. Hope she sees this post!
    look under carpet cutting tools they are $1.49 for a pack of two. But I think the web site has them back ordered

I was in Harbor Freight this morning and they are sold out of the blades we want! Now I know how men feel that I sometimes see in Joan's who look so lost in a strange place -- when I asked for help the clerk made me feel as ignorant as I likely looked.

So I found them myself in the spot where they should be when in stock under the sign "carpet cutting tools".

Blog Entries
    I ordered directly from the website.

Pittsburgpam,
    $1.60 per blade is a good price in my opinion. You done good.
    Sharon W.

You got a great deal on the blades, tho I did get 2 packs of 10 Olfas at Hancock for $12.50/pack. The blades from Harbor Freight are like Olfas that have been used for a while - they skip a lot and you have to recut or use plenty of pressure while cutting.

where in NC is there a Harbor Freight?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
    Someone on here said they get theirs at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools and they were much less expensive. I've looked for the post but I can't get it back. Evidently they use them for installing carpet or something. My DH looked at Harbor Freight and said he couldn't find them. Hope she sees this post!
    Go on the Harbor Freight web site and in the search box type in carpet cutter blades. I did and found it they are $1.49 for a package of two. Have a friend that is getting me some. Hope this helps.

Blades cost a heap more than that in Australia - last one I have here in a packet was $11.95 and we are worth about .85 to the US dollar at the moment! Oh to have the same prices over here!

Hey!!! I think you did great. Not everybody has a Harbor Freight handy, and you saved a lot of money over what you would have paid at the LQS.

Blog Entries
    Pam, you got a great deal and that will keep you for a long time. I want the hoopla on the Harbor Freight blades to die down and also to see how people really like them. I'm worried those blades might be TOO good and shred some mats. I'll wait and see. In the meantime, you know Olfa blades are tried and true and $1.60 per blade is not too shabby!

Harbor Freight has 2 blades for $1.49 - they are on back order but I just ordered 20 packs of 2 for $40.65 that includes shipping. I know I'll have to wait for them, but I still have a stock so I hope they get here before I run low. now that's a good deal. 40 blades for $40.

You ladies are really something. Imagine if we were all president of the USA. Things would really get done.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer
    You ladies are really something. Imagine if we were all president of the USA. Things would really get done.
    AMEN!!!!!

I think you still got a great deal....you didn't pay too much!

Just some of us can't even get any from Harbor Freight cuz they've been sold out.... so if you need rotary blades, what you paid is a he**va better than $4.59 a piece! Look at the savings you got.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou
    They're $1.49 for 2 blades at Harbor Freight. They're called rotary carpet blades.
    Here is the site about the blades. I had saved it. Blades are on back order now but I'm watching them

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html

Here in Australia I have paid $12. The quilt shows I get 3 for $10 so I try and get a couple of sets if I have the money to do it. I usually go twice a year and stock up if I see them. I do have a list of what I want and look out for them every time. They are the generic brand but they do me alright, unless I am doing a lot more cutting than I use to. Next show is coming up soon and I will try to be there first day as always. You are lucky to get them so cheap.

Blog Entries
    for the NC ladies if you don't know;
    Harbor Freight;
    3302 Capital Blvd
    Raleigh,NC 27604

Theres another one in Fayetteville too.

Its about 25 minutes from me, but its worth it. And if they don't have the rotor cutters, I will go again!
    Mary

I just might check out ebay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ekbuckeye
    The blades from Harbor Freight are like Olfas that have been used for a while - they skip a lot and you have to recut or use plenty of pressure while cutting.
    This is the kind of feedback I have been waiting for. Thanks.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    The blades from Harbor Freight are like Olfas that have been used for a while - they skip a lot and you have to recut or use plenty of pressure while cutting.
    Make sure you check all of the threads on this subject. The feedback is pretty conflicting. I'd say it's running about 70/30 in favor of the HF blades. One gal mentioned that she was having problems with skiping until she looked closely and noticed that there were two blades in her cutter. Not saying your not having problems, but some people even have problems with the name brand blades.
    Have a great day! :XD:

Not really true for me. I've stated earlier they cut just like a hot knife through butter. No pressure at all.

Here's a LOL for everyone on the hunt for HF blades--I called a store here in Denver last evening and inquired about the availability. The clerk tol me, in a very astounded-sounding voice, "I know we are out and so is our warehouse. Those things have become a very high-demand items in the last 2 days!" The bewilderment in her voice just made me really LOL!

Blog Entries
    Harbor Freight was awesome, I bought 5 packages, they will have to order more and they have a huge supply in their warehouse.
    this is for the Raleigh ,NC area anyway. worth the 25 minutes, worth the $1.49 each I spent $8.04. So I think I did good! and plan to go back later as well!
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    And uh... thanks for pointing out that I paid too much. :-P
    You got a great value. Olfa blades are quality blades. I would certainly not pass them up for HF blades just to save a few dollars.
    I would go for the Olfa blades myself... I know what I am getting with Olfa!

Quote Originally Posted by BizyStitches
    Not really true for me. I've stated earlier they cut just like a hot knife through butter. No pressure at all.
    Not true for me either, I have been using them with the paperpiecing and am so impressed! I just finished 13 winter blocks, 4 FWS blocks and have 26 more cut out to do and still cutting like butter. I will definetly be purschasing more when the time comes which may be me be a while as they are so sharp and holding up wonderfully.

Admittedly I'm the gal who hasn't used her rotary cutter yet (long story involving nerve damage) but the idea of finding something for a better price attracted me, so good for you!

Then I got curious and did some googling and found a blog where the gal mentioned, maybe she's even on this board, heck, I'll just copy what she said (after she mentioned Harbor Freight)
    "Another source, with bigger packages of blades, is South Star Supplies - they have a larger selection. Harbor Freigh only has the 45 mm ones. Depending on size - you get 10 blades to a pack for $17.95 from South Star. Again - that wonderful price."
    This was the website included.
    http://www.southstarsupply.com/catal...products_id=66

Her other source for blades was Harbor Freight. Women, let's invade this man's world too! (if that gal is on this board, maybe you'd like to vouch for these too?)

This is her blog:
    http://piecefulquillting.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast