Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe I did something so crazy.

I moved back into my mother's house last August and I still can't find my four pair of Gingers and my rotary cutters.

Blog Entries
    along the same lines, two brown grocery sacks in the fridge. One has 2 lbs of cut up chicken for the family cookout bought at the store, still in package. Other has fresh tomatoes from the garden.
    DH says "I'm throwing those tomatoes out cause they've gone over bad". Next day while grill is going to cook, he gets the chicken from the fridge.
    You guessed it. He threw out the chicken and had tomatoes to grill!!!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Help! Does anyone know where I put the packets of garden seed I bought on sale last fall? I wanted to be sure I had them for early planting.

I feel your pain, but can't help laughing because of something that happened to me several years ago. We were moving and I ran out of boxes, so used big garbage bags to pack all of my clothes. It was my job to transport kids and clothes to the inlaws house, several hours away. Arriving after dark, I opted only to carry in the kids' clothes. The next morning, I went to the car to get my clothes and discovered that I had hauled bags of garbage! Can you say, "Shopping Spree?!"

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it is good to be a little bit OCD. I just can't seem to let go of a bag without looking in it just one more time! Good luck on finding your hoops.

Oh wow, hopefully your guardian angel will help you recover/get new hoops! When divorcing, had my side of the garage he had his - guess whose stuff was tossed? Accident, I don't think so, more like he did an "accidentally on purpose".
    Quilting makes me happy!..

My favorite aunt always said that "junk" was something you needed badly shortly after you heard the trash truck going out of your alley! So True!

I hope you are able to find your items.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    I have a Janome MC10000 for 10 years, and I never attempted to learn embroidery. I decided that I am going to practice and make my own quilt labels. The mega and giga hoop boxes were on top shelf of my stash closet and every time I needed my sewing box, (they were on top), they would fall on my head. Been that way for a year or two. Finally Earlier this spring, In keeping with organizing my stash closet, I had decided that the hoops were not going to be used for years, so I put them away somewhere (walk in attic - next project). At the same time, I was making up a big pile of stuff for Teen Challenge thrift store, and I guess you can figure out what happened. They are no where to be found. I have torn apart every drawer - bin , closet, even looked under the sinks and finally figured out today that I donated them!!!!! I am going there first thing tomorrow and ask if they remember them. Maybe they are still in the back, or maybe they haven't been sold. I just priced them on ebay and choked!!! As my 10 year old grandson would say, it is a bad charma experience!!!!
    Sometimes I get in that mode too. So I set things aside and think about it awhile and go back to it a week or so later (or even longer) and see if I still want to let it go, if I still have feelings for it I keep it, otherwise out the door it goes! LOL
    Love 4 stchen

I can relate to this, I have done things like this several times, guess I am not a fast learner : (

Waiting to see if you were able to get them back from the Thrift store : ) fingers crossed for you ...
    Amythyst

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Every time I organize my sewing room, I increase the time I spend looking for things. I hope you find your hoops. Don't give up. I usually spend a lot of time looking for something and finally just give up. Weeks or months later, I find it---when I am looking for something else. I rarely find the item I am looking for at the time.

Norma

That is a very common mistake that I use to make, but now, accordinh to daughter, I am a horder of anything to do with quilting or sewing.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I'm hoping you find your hoops at the store. Hopefully nobody knows what they are for and haven't bought them yet. I just cleaned my sewing room and misplaced so many items. I can't find my good iron. It's been on top of my high dresser for ever and I went to get it a couple of days ago, and it's gone. No idea where I would have put it. And that's just one of many, many things I put some place else. I am never going to rearrange my sewing room. Now I have to go buy some more of the same items and after I do, I will find them. Dang!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Oh...that hurts! I hate it when I move something to a "better" place and can't find it but I'm sure this hurt much worse.

Blog Entries
    I have had my janome 1001 for about the same as you and like you never learned to embroidery with it. I just went for my first lesson the other day and left something at the shop. When I called they didnt know what I was talking about. I was lucky. A few days later they found what I had left there. All I could think was " boy that was an expensive lesson" Hope yours ends as well as mine.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Years and years ago when I was a rather poor Navy wife a distant relative gave my small boys some really nice clothes. We were moving, and I bagged them in a garbage-type bag to pack in the car. Of course my older (5-yr-old) son decided to help by putting the bag in the dumpster. . .the truck had come and gone when I discovered this.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    Ooooo...that sucks. I am so sorry. Whenever I finally decide that I am never going to use that (skein of thread, piece of wood, plant pot, length of pipe) and throw it out, I find that I need it within two weeks. Never fails.

Alison
    amen!
    must be something about not having it that makes your sub-conscious mind come up with ideas!
    I like to be organized, but I don't do the "if you haven't used it in six months - thing"
    It will come back to bite my hiny
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

[QUOTE=alisonquilts;5172494]Ooooo...that sucks. I am so sorry. Whenever I finally decide that I am never going to use that (skein of thread, piece of wood, plant pot, length of pipe) and throw it out, I find that I need it within two weeks. Never fails.
    Works with clothing too....I had a bad full of clothes to drop off at goodwill...got all dressed up for work and said "now where is that blazer?" Thankfully the bag was still by the front door....as soon as I decide to donate it, I want to wear it!

I bought some wooden magazine racks at goodwill and they work really well to stand my hoops in. You can get the size you need, and also depending on size of rack, can keep current printed materials etc in it. Doesnt take up a lot of room.
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

Wow, thanks everyone for the awesome "oops" stories. Hopefully your "bad" made someone else's day! The next time you find something wonderful at Goodwill that you can't believe someone gave away, maybe they didn't!
    Hugs and I hope you find your hoops!
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like something I could manage to let happen. So sorry that you can't locate your hoops. Maybe, just maybe they will turn up.
    Abiding in the Vine

Good to know I am not the only one that hides things from myself.

Blog Entries
    I have something I call a purgatory box in the attic. I put such items in there and if I later need them, I know where to find them. I use a plastic tub from WalMart. This is because I have thrown out stuff only to need it later.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    All the stories about our mishaps in life brought lots of smiles. The other night, I said a prayer to St. Anthony and to whomever would listen to me to help me with the misplaced hoops. They were not at the thrift store, a painful lesson I thought. Then the other day, I decided that I have to try the Accuquilt Go again, I am one who didn't like it the first couple of times I tried it. Well, I moved a couple of bins of stash in the back bedroom closet to get at the Go, and removed the dies from top of the Go and my eye caught a white crushed box under the machine. YES!!!!
    That is where I put the hoops, with the other "things" I would never use!!! Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Never got to try the Accuquilt, husband and I decided to clean out that closet from the "old" work suits that he had, 8 suits that he "outgrew" since retiring are being donated (I am not putting them into black garbage bags - everyone stories have educated me). No suits left, and a wedding in October, so, when Jos. Banks has the next sale we have to get a "wedding" and a "funeral" suit. I found a "new" silk top and jacket that I can wear (it fits)to the wedding behind his suits. Thanks for giving me emotional support - our lives are so busy.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I hate it when things like that happen. I am 'reorganizing' my sewing room and doing a 'great' job. I have a place for my favorite "to do soon" patterns so I can just go there when I am ready. I told my sister in law that i had the perfect pattern for her project and I knew where it was...in my 'favorites' bin because I am so organized now. Well, NOT. Can't find it anywhere. I knew where it was before I organized.

I am always afraid to give things away, for fear of things just like you mentioned. I do remember a story from my childhood. My mother had to cook for so many as we were ranchers and had hired men. One day she told me to throw the pan of scraps out to the chickens. So I did....I actually threw out the stew instead of the scraps. My mom was so nice about it but it still haunts me.

I just gave a very nice ski jacket away...fortunately checked the pockets first. I found $10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast