Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't believe I did something so crazy.

Blog Entries

I can't believe I did something so crazy.

I have a Janome MC10000 for 10 years, and I never attempted to learn embroidery. I decided that I am going to practice and make my own quilt labels. The mega and giga hoop boxes were on top shelf of my stash closet and every time I needed my sewing box, (they were on top), they would fall on my head. Been that way for a year or two. Finally Earlier this spring, In keeping with organizing my stash closet, I had decided that the hoops were not going to be used for years, so I put them away somewhere (walk in attic - next project). At the same time, I was making up a big pile of stuff for Teen Challenge thrift store, and I guess you can figure out what happened. They are no where to be found. I have torn apart every drawer - bin , closet, even looked under the sinks and finally figured out today that I donated them!!!!! I am going there first thing tomorrow and ask if they remember them. Maybe they are still in the back, or maybe they haven't been sold. I just priced them on ebay and choked!!! As my 10 year old grandson would say, it is a bad charma experience!!!!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

That sounds like something I did yesterday. Had trash in the back of the car. I also had a
    return to make at walmarts. Yup I threw the return bag in the back of the car and it was
    the first thing I threw away at the dump. Saved me a trip to walmarts but out $25. It must
    be something in the air.
    Denise finally in Manchester NH

Blog Entries
    that's why i hesitate to move something that's been in the same place for years, even if that is the wrong place. hope you find them soon!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Ooooo...that sucks. I am so sorry. Whenever I finally decide that I am never going to use that (skein of thread, piece of wood, plant pot, length of pipe) and throw it out, I find that I need it within two weeks. Never fails.

Alison

Power Poster
    Geez Louise that is painful! I hope you are lucky and they are still there even if you have to buy them back.

I think my hidden object is worse yet. The only thing I do know is that I didn't throw it away or remove it from the 2 nd floor of my house. The object is the hard plastic cover to my sewing machine!

Oh .. I feel your pain..having donated a bag of my very best clothing to goodwill , as the bag of good will was in the same kind of bag as my dry cleaning! I do hope you can recover your hoops.

OMG, I am sooo sorry for you. I hope you get them back!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I had a bag of really nice clothing for my friend and another big bag of clothes for Goodwill. DH gave it all to Goodwill. Never told my friend about it ! Here's hoping the thrift store has them still.

Blog Entries
    I hope you can recover your hoops. I lost a small one (of course put it in a safe place last year). Haven't found it and refuse to pay another $50 to get a new one and that was for a 2" hoop. Good Luck!!!
    Helen T.

A couple of my friends were admiring my Bow Tuck Purse, so I said I would make them one. When I got home, I couldn't find the pattern. I started cleaning and straightening my cupboards that line the walls in my sewing room. Found the pattern in the second to last cupboard. At least my room is tidy now, and I donated over 50 books to the library and opened up a couple of shelves on my bookcase. Haven't started the purses yet. I think we all do this at one time or another.
    Sue

I just decide something would be easier to find somewhere else. Of course, I can remember where it use to be but, never where I put it. You would think I would learn, not me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has accidentally donated. Good JUJU is all I keep thinking. Good luck and I hope you find them!
    *Rachel*

Sorry for your "loss".........If you find them or get them back......find a nice space on the wall of your stash closet and put towel hooks up and hang your hoops on them.....that way they will be out of your way and won't fall on your head from the top shelf any longer. You will need hooks with deep curves in them so the hoops will stay on them. For the large hoops you may need two hooks to hang them on ( to kind of balance them and keep them from falling off because of their size). Hope you recover your hoops!!

I'm always moving stuff to a better place and not finding them later when i need them. I really hope that you get your hoops back. Once you start embroidering, you will love it. I have the 9000 and the 11000. I bought a pegboard square from Walmart and some longs hooks that work with them. Put it on the wall by my machine, wound selvage strips around the hook(to pad the hook for the hoops) and hung up the hoops and templates. It works very well -out of the way and i can still find them. Did the same thing for my rulers and templates that had hanging holes. Good luck.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    This reminds me of the time my mom made a snowsuit for my nephew out of my husband's navy uniform (a decent wool). She put it in a plastic garbage bag, and you guessed it! My brother put it out with the trash! Anyway, may your good karma return and may those embordery hoops be at the donation site waiting for you!

You will find them the last place you look....bad pun. Good luck. I know how frustrating that is. I do it too often

Quote Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
    Ooooo...that sucks. I am so sorry. Whenever I finally decide that I am never going to use that (skein of thread, piece of wood, plant pot, length of pipe) and throw it out, I find that I need it within two weeks. Never fails.

Alison
    oooh, true. My DH is a saver, and when we got married I sold my house. I was going to throw out some 6' or 8' wood fencing - junky looking stockade fencing which had been in the back yard. well, he made me keep it and what do you know, the woman in the apartment house behind ours got a dreadful yapper pit bull she kept on a stake in the yard, so we stockaded our back yard with the old fence. we could hear the dog but at least didn't have to look at it.

I had to write him a note promising never to throw out anything again, and he still keeps it in his wallet. LOL of course we have thrown lots of stuff out, but my rule for quilting is that if it doesn't take up a lot of room, put it in a bod or the bottom drawer, because in years to come I may figure out what to do with it. Like a stash!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    Oh man! I can feel for you!! Yrs ago my daughters prized doll was thrown in trash by accident! Yrs later i
    Found one on eBay!!

Oh no!!!! I hope you get them back!!!

How awful!!! Hope you get them back. Like many others here, we have done something like that. Put our Goodwill stuff in a black garbage bag -- unfortunately they went out with the Christmas wappings.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Reading all the stories of loss I'm glad I don't put any sewing, quilting, knitting or any craft projects into garbage bags. It happened to one of my daughters - her father threw out all her good jumpers. We were in the middle of moving so it was a genuine mistake. I keep most clear plastic bags that are in good condition. Bags that bed sheets comes in are good but ones that have snaps are best. If something is too big for these I use a pillow case. I also have some draw string bags made from what we call calico but Americans call muslin. I made these for friends to carry their overcoats in on an overseas holiday and found they can hold quite a few yards of fabric.
    To the lady who lost the hoops, I feel your pain because I know how expensive they are - not that I've ever lost a hoop but I did have to replace the grid guide for my B hoop and that was expensive.

Besides Ebay, you can Google the machine make, etc - and there are lots of places online that also sell the hoops and some at really good prices. I got an "accessory" sized hoop from an online vendor for $20 less than the machine site was selling it for and had free shipping.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Your not alone

Came across your blog and I want you to know that you are not alone. I found myself turning around and forgetting what I was doing. Now all I did was turn around 180 degrees. I am with the lady that can't move anything from the original place I put something or I will forget the new place I put that something.
    To much going on in our lives, busy, busy lives.

Awe, hopefully they'll still have em!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast