Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe I did something so crazy. >

I can't believe I did something so crazy.

I can't believe I did something so crazy.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Years and years ago when I was a rather poor Navy wife a distant relative gave my small boys some really nice clothes. We were moving, and I bagged them in a garbage-type bag to pack in the car. Of course my older (5-yr-old) son decided to help by putting the bag in the dumpster. . .the truck had come and gone when I discovered this.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
Ooooo...that sucks. I am so sorry. Whenever I finally decide that I am never going to use that (skein of thread, piece of wood, plant pot, length of pipe) and throw it out, I find that I need it within two weeks. Never fails.

Alison
amen!
must be something about not having it that makes your sub-conscious mind come up with ideas!
I like to be organized, but I don't do the "if you haven't used it in six months - thing"
It will come back to bite my hiny
Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=alisonquilts;5172494]Ooooo...that sucks. I am so sorry. Whenever I finally decide that I am never going to use that (skein of thread, piece of wood, plant pot, length of pipe) and throw it out, I find that I need it within two weeks. Never fails.
Works with clothing too....I had a bad full of clothes to drop off at goodwill...got all dressed up for work and said "now where is that blazer?" Thankfully the bag was still by the front door....as soon as I decide to donate it, I want to wear it!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 PM

I bought some wooden magazine racks at goodwill and they work really well to stand my hoops in. You can get the size you need, and also depending on size of rack, can keep current printed materials etc in it. Doesnt take up a lot of room.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the awesome "oops" stories. Hopefully your "bad" made someone else's day! The next time you find something wonderful at Goodwill that you can't believe someone gave away, maybe they didn't!
Hugs and I hope you find your hoops!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 PM

Sounds like something I could manage to let happen. So sorry that you can't locate your hoops. Maybe, just maybe they will turn up.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Good to know I am not the only one that hides things from myself.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM

I have something I call a purgatory box in the attic. I put such items in there and if I later need them, I know where to find them. I use a plastic tub from WalMart. This is because I have thrown out stuff only to need it later.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 AM

All the stories about our mishaps in life brought lots of smiles. The other night, I said a prayer to St. Anthony and to whomever would listen to me to help me with the misplaced hoops. They were not at the thrift store, a painful lesson I thought. Then the other day, I decided that I have to try the Accuquilt Go again, I am one who didn't like it the first couple of times I tried it. Well, I moved a couple of bins of stash in the back bedroom closet to get at the Go, and removed the dies from top of the Go and my eye caught a white crushed box under the machine. YES!!!!
That is where I put the hoops, with the other "things" I would never use!!! Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Never got to try the Accuquilt, husband and I decided to clean out that closet from the "old" work suits that he had, 8 suits that he "outgrew" since retiring are being donated (I am not putting them into black garbage bags - everyone stories have educated me). No suits left, and a wedding in October, so, when Jos. Banks has the next sale we have to get a "wedding" and a "funeral" suit. I found a "new" silk top and jacket that I can wear (it fits)to the wedding behind his suits. Thanks for giving me emotional support - our lives are so busy.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM

I hate it when things like that happen. I am 'reorganizing' my sewing room and doing a 'great' job. I have a place for my favorite "to do soon" patterns so I can just go there when I am ready. I told my sister in law that i had the perfect pattern for her project and I knew where it was...in my 'favorites' bin because I am so organized now. Well, NOT. Can't find it anywhere. I knew where it was before I organized.

I am always afraid to give things away, for fear of things just like you mentioned. I do remember a story from my childhood. My mother had to cook for so many as we were ranchers and had hired men. One day she told me to throw the pan of scraps out to the chickens. So I did....I actually threw out the stew instead of the scraps. My mom was so nice about it but it still haunts me.

I just gave a very nice ski jacket away...fortunately checked the pockets first. I found $10.