Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me. >

I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 AM

If I am making a quilt for someone and have to take out stitching - and it happens often - I just visualize that the bad things in their live is leaving and the good will come when I put the stitches back in. Just a thought. I also have a real problem with binding and have one on my sewing machine right now that has some I have to take out. Just know it will be worth the effort when you finally get it all done.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM

I do mine the same way Tartan. I think I'll take a look at tutorial,thanks

Marie
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
Beaniekins and I agree. It's a painful mistake you won't likely make again. Binding isn't my favorite either.
hmmm... i enjoy the binding part of quilts. i challenge myself to make "perfect" mitered corners. i have gotten good with practice. hang in there, we all have learning moments in our quilt projects.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM

O.K., I will make you a deal......I was working with my container of seed beads last night and guess where all my beads are today?? You got it....on the floor....I mean everywhere on the floor.....what a mess!! So here is the deal....you come over to my house and pick up all the seed beads and separate them and I will rip out and re-do your binding
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 AM

I feel your pain, so sorry you have a rough time with the binding part of quilting. I enjoy the handwork, and knowing it will soon will be finished. I hope you can get through it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 AM

Making a quilt is learning one step at a time. It seems every step, when new, is a frightening experience. You will be fine, you will get better, like learning to walk, drive a car etc. Good luck, just enjoy the finished quilt when done. I'm learning how to do quilting and applique. I took all of my quilting out of a wall hanging I just did, and have taken 4 blocks of applique out and redid everything. We all go through this "experience when learning" Again, Good Luck"

Last edited by jmabby; 02-14-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Did I understand this correctly? You sewed the foled edge of the binding strip to the raw edge of the quilt? Just had the binding turned backwards than what you wanted?
If I am not mistaken, you should have enough binding to still fold over to the back, fold under the raw edges, and sew. If you do double bindings, the fold was the center that usually goes to the backside for stitching. It may not be as big of an edge, and you may need to trim the quilt edge down to like 1/8 inch, but give this a try before you rip out everything. At least I would try. "Jack" may be my 11th finger, but I try to let him rest as much as possible.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Yes, these dumb things happen to all of us, don't be discouraged. Just last week I sewed the folded edge of the binding on the edge on my quilt after 50+ yrs. of quiltmaking! Inattention and a big hurry to finish were the culprits, I guess. Pick it out and resew, and resolve not to make the same mistake for at least another 50 yrs. You can do it. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Don't feel bad, I think everybody has done this. Bindings take a while to get use to, I now do them w/o any trepidation, and I've made over 500 quilts and wall hangings. They do become 2nd nature, but, like everything else, it takes practice. Keep your chin up, and keep trying, it honestly does get easier.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM

I don't mind doing binding at all but I am still trying to get the "join the ends with a diagional seam" thing right. I do the stitch to the front and hand sew the back. Takes longer but I like the look better , I just can't seem to get the machine stitched one right.
Just take a deep breath , grab a seam ripper , a glass of wine, and sit down in front of the tv or in my case the computer watch a movie and rip away. :-)