Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me. >

I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by margoee View Post
O.K., I will make you a deal......I was working with my container of seed beads last night and guess where all my beads are today?? You got it....on the floor....I mean everywhere on the floor.....what a mess!! So here is the deal....you come over to my house and pick up all the seed beads and separate them and I will rip out and re-do your binding

Are my ears deceiving me or did you just get a talking to? tee hee

Can you use a cleaned out portable vacuum and then sift the contents thru a sieve with big holes?
Or just pitch and go to town?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 PM

My friends think I'm crazy, but I love to do the binding on quilts. I live in Milan, near Cedar Point and wish I was closer so I could do them for you - even the ripping part. Heck, I'm going to be in Middletown all next week and I'm taking my machine.......food for thought. :-)
Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM

I really enjoy binding! I machine the top and hand sew (the folded edge of the binding to) the back of the quilt. I suppose I'd be cranky too if I had done what you did. Chuck this up to your big oops! I bet you'll never do that again. I usually cut, iron, roll up my binding material (and store it in a baggy) when I'm finished cutting all my material before I even start sewing the top of the quilt.

However, recently I used left over backing material from when I rented the LA at a LQS. I felt strange coming home from quilting and NOT having my binding ready to go. Very little waste this way. I'll have to wait and see which is my preferred method for the next quilt.

I love hand sewing on the binding while watching tv. It's a relaxing way to finish a quilt. I'm kept warm at the same time. Something that will warm someone else's heart and body is keeping me warm at the very end of the project!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:09 PM

Congsratulations, you just graduated from beginner to experienced quilter!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

It depends on how wide your binding is. If it is wide enough, you could tuck the raw side under and sew it down on the back side. If you were to do that, I would recommend a stitch that goes through both layers of binding. (Knowing me, I would rip it out and start over.)

I've made mistakes that left me shaking my head too - don't feel bad.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:03 PM

I was thinking about this recently. The "I hate the binding" part of quilting. Wondered if it is just the word? Being bound is not a good thing. "the ties that bind". "All bound up in a bad idea". etc. The binding is just more sewing. It is probably even easier than piecing, just sew straight lines for the most part -- no points to match. The miter corner isn't even horrid.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post
I did that once before too. It was very frustrating since it was a large quilt. The positive side of it is that I never, ever made that particular mistake again!
I agree 100%.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:43 PM

I have a pal who "loves" to do binding. She finds it relaxing. I have watched her bind and asked many questions. I have asked about techniques, thread and needles....I would suggest you find someone with whom you feel comfortable and who likes to do binding and take a few lessons.....it will get better. I swore I would never do binding by hand, and now I am doing it.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Don't feel too badly, Ive been sewing for over 50 years, and the other day I not only sewed on both armhole facings of a shirt on the wrong side, I clipped the curves and double stitched them both. I have learned to laugh at myself, but I wont repeat what I called myself. I just got over it and ripped it all out and re did it all. It looks great now and I'm very pleased with the results. Will I ever do anything that dumb again?......probably so, but I hope not soon!! Hang in there. Remember, Babe Ruth also held the record for most strike outs!!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Has she got room for both of us? And enough coffee (and Girl Scout Cookies) for both of us?
Hahaha! I don't drink coffee, but I do have a supply for guests! I am just waiting for those sweet little Girl Scouts to wrestle the $ out of my hands on the way into the store! I love Thin Mints much much more than binding!