Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I didn't realize I was not totally protecting my machine >

I didn't realize I was not totally protecting my machine

I didn't realize I was not totally protecting my machine

Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Wow, I did not know this. I only unplug things when we go out of town. Guess I had better change my habits!! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 AM

If you "turn off" your surge protector, I think you are leaving your electronics unprotected from a power surge that could come from a storm or other electrical surge. Here in Southeastern PA we are having power outages due to the extrmely high temperatures & transformers exploding.

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I unplug at the wall or shut the surge protector off. My boys are all computer geeks and warned me of this. All my equipment is connected to surge protectors. I spent too much money on it to lose it. I accidently left my food processor plugged in and didn't discover that it was dead till many weeks after the storm killed it. That's what I get for not using it often.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 AM

Most sewing machines cost more than a new computer. Never though about plug not touching machine. Learn something new from this group daily. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 AM
JJs
Banned

A surge protector is basically for LITTLE variations of electrical power in a normal, everyday situation.
We use an UPS for all the computers/electronics associated with them - monitors, modem, printers (not laser printers). An UPS keeps the computer on long enough for you to shut down in the case of power failure. We live out in the country with an REMC and prone to electric just going off and back on for no apparent reason - so UPS are good.
Might not be a bad idea for an expensive sewing/embroidery machine also.

We ALWAYS unplug tvs, dish, the UPS, etc during a storm. A surge protector or even an UPS can NOT handle the major surges caused by a lightning strike.

It says right in the phone book not to talk on the phone during a storm. But one thing that had not occurred to me before - to also unplug the DSL modem from the phone line- the guy from our ISP told me that the other day.

Better safe than sorry... I know quite a few people whose tvs etc got fried because "it was plugged into a surge protector"...and some people you can't convince until their stuff is ruined and then you bite your tongue instead of saying "I told you so"
Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 AM

On TVs and cable internet connections, don't forget to disconnect the cable connection as well as the TV and computer. Lightening surges through cable lines as well as phone and power lines.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I always unplug from the wall during storms...all my stuff...computer and sewing machine. I unplug the phone cord going into the surge protector too. We lost a refrigerator, telephone, tv reciever...all through the phone line during a storm. We learned an expensive lesson.

It can happen....and it CAN happen to you!

Thanks for the tip...I hadn't thought of that part!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I unplug at the wall or shut the surge protector off. My boys are all computer geeks and warned me of this. All my equipment is connected to surge protectors. I spent too much money on it to lose it. I accidently left my food processor plugged in and didn't discover that it was dead till many weeks after the storm killed it. That's what I get for not using it often.
A good UPS is worth it's very heavy weight in gold . . .but please . . .never, ever simply turn off your surge protector under the assumption you're covered. You're actually turning off whatever little protection you may have had. Unplug the surge protector from the wall during storms.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:15 AM

Good point. Thanks..
Old 07-30-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I thought thats why we use Power Surge protectors
so we don't have to unplug the sewing machines, computers, TV's? :shock:
Surge protectors only work to some degree. The power in lightening is awesome.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM

I unplug mine from the surge protector. Although I use "surge protectors" or what's sold as surge protectors, they are actually just power strips and won't protect from a large surge. (learned that the hard way but luckily it was at work not at home)