Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I had such hope for Wal Marts Fabric Dept.

The last three times I have been at our local store, the fabric dept. looks like a tornado had blown through it. Fabric on bolts just hanging on floor, bolts half hanging out of the racks, stacked on top of the other bolts of fabric on racks. It is almost impossible to look at the fabric through the mess. Zippers, buttons and other notitons just thrown on bottom shelf and not hanging on their pegs. Today I waited 10 mins at the garden center check out waiting for someone to answer a page for a fabric/crafts associate for a price check. Finally she rang the item in as the price I thought it was.
    I guess the newness has warn off. Oh well. Do you think it is time for another email to corrprate?

I think Walmart is a "get what you pay for" store... if not in quality in service... :-/

I really think it depends on the individual Walmarts...the one here in my town is first-rate AWFUL...they just got a fabric dept., no one to help you with anything, etc. There's another Walmart 4 miles from here, people there couldn't be more helpful and friendly...however, no fabric dept. as yet. The third Walmart is about 10 miles from me...great service, great fabric dept....to me, it is worth going the 10 miles...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by valsma
    The last three times I have been at our local store, the fabric dept. looks like a tornado had blown through it. Fabric on bolts just hanging on floor, bolts half hanging out of the racks, stacked on top of the other bolts of fabric on racks. It is almost impossible to look at the fabric through the mess. Zippers, buttons and other notitons just thrown on bottom shelf and not hanging on their pegs. Today I waited 10 mins at the garden center check out waiting for someone to answer a page for a fabric/crafts associate for a price check. Finally she rang the item in as the price I thought it was.
    I guess the newness has warn off. Oh well. Do you think it is time for another email to corrprate?
    That sounds more like a ineffective management problem. It is those type of stores That give the rest a bad name.
    Yes ,I do think it is time to call corporate, but don't just complain about the fabric dept.,tell them about the overall problems of this store. Corporate will take care of it.

Love the fabric department in our WalMart. There is one clerk which I just adore. She will always go out of her way to assist you and never a frown to be seen!

dd
    I usually don't have a problem in our store but today I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to come to cut fabric. I walked over to the beads, didn't have what I wanted. Still no one to cut. Walked over to motor oil got 2 containers of oil and saw a man stacking shelves. I asked if he could call someone again to cut fabric. He replied, I can cut. He knew I wasn't happy when he said that. Then he only rang in 6 pieces out of the 7 pieces of fabric I had cut. I didn't need another headache when I got to the checkout and it wasn't right. They didn't bother to count there, this time anyway. Usually don't have any problems. Guess everyone is on vacation.

Actually now that I think about it, the entire store looks as if a tornado has blown through it. Shoes, infants clothing, clothing in general.
    I get some people are just rude when they look at things and don't even attempt to put thing back in their proper place when they look at it. There should be however, someone in the store attempting to make shelves look sorta neat.
    They were doing very good for the last few months of keeping the fabric neat, an associate with-in ear shot of the bell, which I have noticed is missing from the counter. Guess they only care long enough to get corprate off their backs.

Blog Entries
    Our Walmart looks just like yours. What a mess. I used to be so nice. Now it has more fabrics and a lot less space. The precuts are in the party area. I haven't purchased anything lately, so I don't know if they have anyone cutting or not. I do know that the line to check out is always too long. I usually check myself out.

The one wal-mart near me is always messy & the clothes to me are very cheap in the last year & a half & not a big selection to pick from anymore.

Blog Entries
    if the craft/fabric dept manager doesn't like the hassle of the fabric that dept will never be very well stocked or handled right so they can show corp, see the fabric dept is not profitable. Many of the craft dept managers do not want fabric in their dept. at all and just have the bare minimum. I wish you could see the Walmart in one store close to me that the fabric dept manager is a quilter! Fantastic, couldn't ask for better from Walmart. David's Textile fabrics, quilt of the month, real pattern file cabinets with stools!, the same big thread cases, trims cabinet displays, great notions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradosky
    Love the fabric department in our WalMart. There is one clerk which I just adore. She will always go out of her way to assist you and never a frown to be seen!
    yep love the ladies in our walmart fabric dept.

I must be lucky! Once they started adding more (we never lost ours)fabrics, there is one regular gal there that is a peach. She always asks me what I'm working on now. On the rare occasion she is not working, it is a sad story (help wise).

Blog Entries
    I wish ours would get fabric dept. back !! :-(

We have a new Walmart here, they put in a fabric dept., lots of precuts, but some bolted fabric too and I needed fabric cut. Had to get on the wall phone, and call twice, before someone came to cut. It was a floor manager and when he tried to set up for cutting he discovered there were no keys so he had to go get them, then he discovered nothing was set up and ready to cut, or price, so had to wait for him to do that. I was wondering if I was the first person to have anything cut! He did a good job but I could tell he was completely out of his element and nervous. Then he had a devil of a time pinning the price tags to the fabric. I didn't have the heart to tell him that they were labels and all you had to do was peel off the backs and stick them on the fabric!

I have had the same problem. I look at it everytime I go. I stand and wait and no one is in the area. I ended up leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by valsma

Power Poster
    You would think that Walmart could hire a few more people to stock and straighten the shelves. In this economy lots of store have the bare minimum in staff but people are also slobs nowadays. If an item falls off a hanger, I pick it up and hang it back up. If I look through a stack of items, I straighten the stack after I'm done. Common courtesy seems to have gone the way of manners and politeness.

Jim
    Our Walmart fabric is fantastic...there is always someone on duty between 8AM and 10PM...sometimes they are elsewhere in the dept just not at the tables but, they are stocked very well and have great selections

Blog Entries
    Our Walmart fabric dept. is very well taken care of. The lady is especially nice (I always go very early in the morning to stay away from the crowds) and helpful. Actually, the dept. looks immaculate. And she never asks me what I am making. If she isn't there, you ring a bell and someone comes immediately. I think only she and one gal in the pharmacy are very friendly and helpful. Other employees walk by you and ignore you or look a little mean. I don't buy much fabric at Walmart, but when I do I am thankful I can get through the dept. without it ruining my day. Everything is always in its place.

So sorry to hear about what happened to you. The same thing happened to me at the Walmart near us. I waited 15 minutes for someone to come up and cut some fabric for me when they finally got there I told her I waited to long didn't want it anymore and left. Heard the woman say How rude. I turned around and told her No I wasn't rude you were for having me wait for 15 minutes. I won't be coming back here again. Needless to say I was not happy. I went to the manager, and complained. I haven't gone back since. They really need to do something it is getting rediculous. :( :)

SMR
    I agree that service and quality in the fabric area depends on the department manager. Our Walmart never lost its fabric but we lost our deptment manager when they moved her to meat deptment. Curent manager also has garden shop and doesm't think there should be fabric. There is one clerk who is really good but they won't let her order even notions , so its not unusual for basics like white thread to be out of stock. They are supposed to expand our fabric deptment and we all hope the the old manager returns from meats.

Blog Entries
    We have two Walmarts about 40 minutes away. One has pre-cut fabric and the other has bolts. There is ONE person who works in the fabric department. Needless to say, sometimes she goes home! Sometimes she is pleasant, sometimes she is not. When no one is there I've seen many people give up and leave. Not me. I know where they keep the stickers and scissors. I cut my own and mark the yardage and price. They took away all the deep sale priced fabric and jammed it intro drawers. No one knows it's there and most of it has no price. Last time I went there the department was a disaster. I'd contact corporate but don't have the email.

Blog Entries
    A little over an hour away is a WM which never lost their department. I don't go on a whim because of the distance. There are 3 stores in my county alone, and another one on the other side of town, but different county, all without fabric. So, when I happen to be in the area of the distant store, I stock up with kid friendly fabric for student use. I have found some better quality fabrics for myself too. There are several people who are trained in the department, though their primary jobs may be someplace else. Never have I had a problem, the department is usually neat and clean. (When not, it is because the stocking carts are in the way - they are situated near the loading dock doors.)

One day, my GF & I ran in to get a deli sandwich and decided, While we're here . . . Well we both had our carts stacked with bolts. GF will get a few yards, I often get the entire bolt. The weather was turning bad, flakes were falling. (Something to get excited over in this part of Georgia.) Employees were at shift change and wanted to hurry on home. They had 3 people cutting for us, a 4th joined for a few minutes but got called back to her department. Two of the gals stayed to cut, even though they don't get paid anything over their time, to be certain that every bit of our fabric was measured and ticketed, and that the one associate didn't get "stuck" with our two bulging buggies. Everyone was jovial, and we had a good time. All of the clerks remember us, and we always get good service.

I have a suggestion that worked for me. A couple of years ago there were many negative remarks about a certain chain store on this forum. I always got good service from them and got to know one of the sales person via phone somewhat well. When I placed my next order I casually mentioned the negative remarks from the site and suggested she read them. She told management about it and they did. several weeks later I read on this site how much improvement was made in their service. Ikinda like to think my "mentioning " of it helped. Maybe that's what you should do with Walmart too. It might work.

The Walmarts in Canada have stopped selling fabric by the meter, i miss that!

Sounds like the Walmart I use to go to. Never anyone there to cut fabric. Waiting and waiting. one time I waited 30 minutes and walked out. I cannot stand that long. I always left the bolts on the table with a note that this was a lost sale because of no service. The one here doesn't have fabric. I haven't been in it though in over a month. No need.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast