Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I HATE patterns! (or maybe they just hate me....)

I know what you mean on some of those patterns. I purchased Kwik Sew patterns since they are much better in the explanation department but the drawback on those are they are a little pricey. I rather spend the money on the patterns and know that I am going to finish the project. Good luck on making the apron. :-)

[
    I have a similar story, but in reverse. I don't have too much difficulty in reading and following clothing pattern directions. But in 1975 (fall), I took a HS sewing class. It was a two-hour block and very helpful. I wanted to learn to sew my own clothes because I was always hard to fit (large swayback to contend with, very curvy/hourglass shape, and short). Up to this point, my Grandmother had sewn most of my clothes. Teacher had a MASTERS DEGREE in Home Ec. :roll:

Don't let the problems with patterns get you down. We are a helpful board and we are here to help you be successful!

Glad I'm here, that's for sure! :wink: [/quote]

Too bad she was just a home ec teacher and not a real seamstress. Any real seamstress knows patterns are just the beginning. The whole point to custom made clothing is being able to adjust them for a perfect fit. If you're not going to adjust your patterns for a perfect fit you might as well buy pre-made clothing off the rack.

I think it's a huge disservice to teach sewing without also teaching how to alter the patterns to fit perfectly.

I can't believe this! I could have written the same post. I just became a grandmother and purchased a beautiful drees pattern rom the "sew easy" Simplicity line. I must have read the directions 20 times and could not get the facing and button plaque in the back to meet up with the skirt etc.

It was so frustrating. Then I tried a simpl little hat with an all around brim. First of all the sizes were s-m-l-xl with no inch dimension so who could tell what size head it fit? Dummies!

I never buy Vogue patterns and haven't for years just because their directions were way over my head. I have been quilting andf making clothes for 35 years.

This is the 21st century. You would think that directions would be easy to do. We should forward this blog to all of the pattern-making companies. I think a prerequisite to printing and selling a pattern would be for the Chairman of the Board to have to make it first!

Okay, I'm with you on this, clothing patterns are difficult to read sometimes. I had a home ec teacher in high school that said, if you want to do something (that the pattern doesn't specify) and you're not sure if it'll work, just ask yourself "why won't it work" and if you can't come up with anything, try it. Its actually worked for me for several things, and sometimes in quilting too. tee hee
    Good Luck!!!

Their name may say Simplicity, but they lie. Thy LIE I tell you!!! Just like Quilt In A Day is a LIE LIE LIE!

Whew. I feel better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyoz
    Their name may say Simplicity, but they lie. Thy LIE I tell you!!! Just like Quilt In A Day is a LIE LIE LIE!

Whew. I feel better.
    Laughed out loud with this one, Joeyoz. Been there, done that.

I finally gave up on the Simplicity (NOT) pattern and got a McCall's. Problem there is no size measurements on the envelope. They are in the pattern book, which, we don't have at home. So frustrating. I don't have the energy to open the envelope yet. Will have to wait for a day with a good night's sleep, sunny weather, and a bit of chocolate :D

This ALWAYS happens to me. This is one of the reasons, I don't sew clothing. But, were I doing the same pattern as you are working on, and became irate at the insturctions, I would get on computer to the company and let them know. Recently a friend of mine passed away from cancer and she would do this, but, she wrote letters, even before computers.
    My mother was a superb seamstress, and as for me, I di not inherit her talent or patience. Good luck! :-)

I sewed clothing with patterns since 7th grade around 1964. I could always understand how to read them and almost never had a problem. I even made my own 5 pocket jeans. The patterns I get now are very hard to read and understand. I feel like they left a step out. I made a real nice lined jacket out of denium last year. The front lining piece was shorter then the back lining piece. I thought I used the wrong pattern piece but I did not. I still haven't finished it. Sooo you are not alone. I don't even try to make cloths anymore.

LOL...I collect clothing patterns so ya'll can just send them to me.

mandarin oranges! thats got to be it!!! the can!!!

I bought a simplicity curtain pattern and it was a complete WASTE of my one dollar!
    I keep buying them tho :oops:

whats the pattern # I wouldnt mind taking a look, if I cant figure it out then it just cant be done 8)

got to be the oranges

Take a deep breath. I feel your pain. I'm a historical re-enactor, so none of the patterns are correct anyway. If this is your first project, go VERY slow. You will probably have to redo it. If you are making clothes, I highly recommend you buy cheep muslin fabric and make a test run first. Muslin goes for about a dollar a yard - cheaper if you use a coupon, so it's not a big investment if it doesn't work. If the pattern is skipping instructions (and they do) try to think about it like you would a puzzle and do the logical thing.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/charts/index.htm
    Here is a measurement chart for McCall's patterns.

And remember: The instructions are more guidelines than actual rules. :)

I am too soon old and too late smart. :) Whenever
    I buy a pattern, even if it is only a $1, I take it out of the packet and read it. If I think it isn't as simple as it says it is, don't buy it. Perhaps if we all made a concerted effot to let Simplicity know how we feel, think perhaps it would give them somethng to think about.

Also, Quilt In A Day is only that, if you have you fabrics all cut out and have read and studied the pattern. But, I do like her books, have a ton of them, but not any of the newer ones.

Clothing patterns are written for 6' tall women. HA My mother was a genius when it came to making clothing. She only used Vogue patterns. Mom was one classy lady!

I took a Singer sewing course after I left home and learned the basics, and learned even more by reading books and magazine articles on the subject, and also by listening to others who sewed. I agree that many of the earlier patterns were easier to follow, and also agree that reading the instruction over before cutting is probably the most important step before cutting the fabric. As far as ease of understanding, my mainstays are Simplicity and McCall's, with an occasional Butterick thrown in.

As far as the amount of fabric...I buy what is suggested on the fabric envelope, and usually have waaay too much, since I'm a shortie, but since I like cottons, and bright colors, hey, I get to add to my stash with the leftovers!

The important thing is, take your time, read the instructions, and don't be afraid to ask questions if there is something you don't understand.

BTW, my biggest pet peeve was putting is zippers until I spent one whole afternoon ripping out and putting in one zipper! (Never mind it ended up on the right side instead of the left...it was in and that sucker stayed in!)
    I'm glad I don't have to put zippers in quilts...usually!

UPDATE!

I gave up on the pin cushion but I did make an apron for a friend using another Simplicity pattern. I am happy to report that it turned out GREAT! I even gathered it properly (I love youtube instructional videos). I'd post a picture but it's in the washer right now. I'm gonna starch and iron it before I give it to her.

I have always had trouble with patters of any kind. Thats why I like scrap quilts.
    Judy in Ohio

jojo47 and Tx_CUTIE; There aretutorials on zippers. I always had a problem with them and sleeves. Just enter zipper tutorials and you should find one. Also there are many FREE pin cushion patterns. Just do the same, as with zippers.

ALSO WHO HAD THE QUILT FROM LAST NEWSLETTER THAT WAS PRETTY SQS. BOARDERED IN WHITE AND WHITE BACKGROUND? i WAS GOING TO LET YOU KNOW WHERE ISAW THIS QUILT FOR SALE ON eBAY. iS IS CALLED KUAI, and you will find it on there. May not have spelled it correctly. Seller is wildorchid, and it in on a bed in the picture. Yours is just as nice.

Helen
    SNOW ANYONE? Beautiful outside my picture windows.

Auntiehenno: My experience with the zipper was years ago, and I had spent probably 1/2 hour or more ripping out and putting in (my mom had alway put them in for me before that, but this was the day I decided I'd better learn to do it myself). After about 1/2 hour (or more) of listening to me cuss and swear at this stupid zipper, Mom came and watched me, then told me "Oh, blow it out your a** and come have a cup of coffee!" She accomplished two things...she made me laugh and I took a much-needed break. After that, the zipper went in like a charm. Like I said, it ended up on the right side of the garment instead of the left, but it was in, it stayed in, and after that experience, yes, I could put zippers in with the best of them. Thanks for the info on the tute, though. I always enjoy seeing them, and maybe learning something new. BTW, I still laugh at myself over that zipper, and I wore that pair of shorts for a long time!

Enjoyed reading about your zipper and your mother. No one will know the difference anyway! :D

I had to laugh at some of the comments about sewing patterns here on this thead. I feel you pain girls ... really! I have been sewing garments many years and some of these patterns are very confusing as to just exactly they are saying to do and how to do it. I often just read the pattern and change it up to how I like it. LOL!

The best thing I ever bought for my fashion sewing was a dress form. There are no surprises after it is made. You make any changes to the pattern before you begin and know if will fit afterwords.

I totally agree with you about simplicity patterns. They are not my favorite company at ALL! And often times they look so homemade, why bother? I did read that they had up-dated thier patterns because they were in trouble with sales.

McCall's is my favorite with butterick coming in a close second. Vogue is very nice, but gee how come they are so expensive?

Vogue's pricing is the main reason why I have so few of them.

Interesting discussion!

I sew clothes, still. Learned when I was in third grade, in self-defense :lol: By then there were five kids, and Mom could not keep making clothes for all of us!

I have found lately that I get the pattern, check measurements on the pattern piece itself to make changes before I cut. Then, if I do not understand the directions, I think back to past experiences for some other way to do it. :? Usually works better than being frustrated.

Glad the apron turned out better than the pincushion :D

Don't dispair about the pattern instructions...I have a BS in Apparel Design and have trouble understand most of the pattern instructions. If you need help, post your questions and one of us can help you.

Power Poster
    I was SO dumb when I was younger -

I thought if I kept buying different patterns, I would find one that would fit me as is -

HA!

Once in a rare while I did find something store-bought that worked -

That is why I so like making non-clothing items - they end up the size they are and are usually useful.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...fidence+dvd.do

This video will show you how to adapt any pattern to your measurements. I saw this episode on her tv series and it facinated me. I definitely will get the video now that I know where I can.

I'm sure it will help anyone struggling with patterns.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast