Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I HATE patterns! (or maybe they just hate me....) >

I HATE patterns! (or maybe they just hate me....)

I HATE patterns! (or maybe they just hate me....)

Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by joeyoz
Their name may say Simplicity, but they lie. Thy LIE I tell you!!! Just like Quilt In A Day is a LIE LIE LIE!

Whew. I feel better.
Laughed out loud with this one, Joeyoz. Been there, done that.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I finally gave up on the Simplicity (NOT) pattern and got a McCall's. Problem there is no size measurements on the envelope. They are in the pattern book, which, we don't have at home. So frustrating. I don't have the energy to open the envelope yet. Will have to wait for a day with a good night's sleep, sunny weather, and a bit of chocolate :D
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM

This ALWAYS happens to me. This is one of the reasons, I don't sew clothing. But, were I doing the same pattern as you are working on, and became irate at the insturctions, I would get on computer to the company and let them know. Recently a friend of mine passed away from cancer and she would do this, but, she wrote letters, even before computers.
My mother was a superb seamstress, and as for me, I di not inherit her talent or patience. Good luck! :-)
Old 11-11-2009, 02:11 PM

I sewed clothing with patterns since 7th grade around 1964. I could always understand how to read them and almost never had a problem. I even made my own 5 pocket jeans. The patterns I get now are very hard to read and understand. I feel like they left a step out. I made a real nice lined jacket out of denium last year. The front lining piece was shorter then the back lining piece. I thought I used the wrong pattern piece but I did not. I still haven't finished it. Sooo you are not alone. I don't even try to make cloths anymore.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM

LOL...I collect clothing patterns so ya'll can just send them to me.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM

mandarin oranges! thats got to be it!!! the can!!!

I bought a simplicity curtain pattern and it was a complete WASTE of my one dollar!
I keep buying them tho :oops:

whats the pattern # I wouldnt mind taking a look, if I cant figure it out then it just cant be done 8)

got to be the oranges
Old 11-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Take a deep breath. I feel your pain. I'm a historical re-enactor, so none of the patterns are correct anyway. If this is your first project, go VERY slow. You will probably have to redo it. If you are making clothes, I highly recommend you buy cheep muslin fabric and make a test run first. Muslin goes for about a dollar a yard - cheaper if you use a coupon, so it's not a big investment if it doesn't work. If the pattern is skipping instructions (and they do) try to think about it like you would a puzzle and do the logical thing.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/charts/index.htm
Here is a measurement chart for McCall's patterns.

And remember: The instructions are more guidelines than actual rules. :)
Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 PM

I am too soon old and too late smart. :) Whenever
I buy a pattern, even if it is only a $1, I take it out of the packet and read it. If I think it isn't as simple as it says it is, don't buy it. Perhaps if we all made a concerted effot to let Simplicity know how we feel, think perhaps it would give them somethng to think about.

Also, Quilt In A Day is only that, if you have you fabrics all cut out and have read and studied the pattern. But, I do like her books, have a ton of them, but not any of the newer ones.

Clothing patterns are written for 6' tall women. HA My mother was a genius when it came to making clothing. She only used Vogue patterns. Mom was one classy lady!
Old 11-15-2009, 04:40 PM

I took a Singer sewing course after I left home and learned the basics, and learned even more by reading books and magazine articles on the subject, and also by listening to others who sewed. I agree that many of the earlier patterns were easier to follow, and also agree that reading the instruction over before cutting is probably the most important step before cutting the fabric. As far as ease of understanding, my mainstays are Simplicity and McCall's, with an occasional Butterick thrown in.

As far as the amount of fabric...I buy what is suggested on the fabric envelope, and usually have waaay too much, since I'm a shortie, but since I like cottons, and bright colors, hey, I get to add to my stash with the leftovers!

The important thing is, take your time, read the instructions, and don't be afraid to ask questions if there is something you don't understand.

BTW, my biggest pet peeve was putting is zippers until I spent one whole afternoon ripping out and putting in one zipper! (Never mind it ended up on the right side instead of the left...it was in and that sucker stayed in!)
I'm glad I don't have to put zippers in quilts...usually!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM

UPDATE!

I gave up on the pin cushion but I did make an apron for a friend using another Simplicity pattern. I am happy to report that it turned out GREAT! I even gathered it properly (I love youtube instructional videos). I'd post a picture but it's in the washer right now. I'm gonna starch and iron it before I give it to her.