Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate to pick colors >

I hate to pick colors

I hate to pick colors

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM

I'm with you - I can pick colours ok, but the prints throw me off. I'm trying to ignore the prints and focus on colour, but I still have a hard time. Like you, I often use a large print, and pair it with small prints, solids and marbles. I generally am not drawn to large prints, though. An idea for you could be to try buying different fabrics from the same line. They WILL match, because it's the same line of fabric, even though the prints might not look or feel cohesive to you.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 AM

I am not good at the color game. i tend to go overly matchy matchy.
I will admit I bug who ever is in range of me and ask. Does this look good together?
I ask the clerks, random customers, family members. Who ever, A lot of the time I get nods or people telling me what they think i want to hear, but often I get real lucky and strangers are brutally honest! I LOVE THAT!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 AM

I take my husband to pick out colors he is good at it and it works two fold, when he picks out fabric I get to spend more money as he i the one who loads up the shopping cart, it works for me!!!!

Happy Dance!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127519.gif  
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 AM

Thank you for building my confidence. I thought I was sick! I am trying to do the Star BOM and I am hating it because I can make the square, but can't pick the colors. I have four colors that I picked out for the first block. I hope I have enough to do the rest of the blocks, at least they will go together. All of your advice is fantastic!! I will definately keep trying. This color thing is not just quilts. I can't do wall paint or upholstery either. I was definately in the wrong line when they passed out this skill, but I'll keep trying. I didn't know about the little dots in the selvage. I'll start looking for them.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 AM

I'll pick for you :) :) I absolutely love chosing fabrics, I love mixing colors, patterns, etc. I hardly own a solid!! Most of my quilt friends are surprised when my choices actually look good together, they usually think I've lost my mind with my choices, then they say I never would have thought to use those together.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl
I'll pick for you :) :) I absolutely love chosing fabrics, I love mixing colors, patterns, etc. I hardly own a solid!! Most of my quilt friends are surprised when my choices actually look good together, they usually think I've lost my mind with my choices, then they say I never would have thought to use those together.
Wow!! I would love to have this talent!! I might let you do it!! :D
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

When I started quilting I had absolutely no color sense and putting fabrics together was frightening. I bought Color From the Heart by Gai Perry - http://www.amazon.com/Color-Heart-Se...7963965&sr=8-1

This book has several exercises that help you learn to put fabrics together. I highly recommend it. Now selecting fabrics is fun for me. Sometimes I do it from my stash and don't even start a quilt - just enjoy playing with the fabrics.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Thank you so much!! I'll definately be getting this book!
Originally Posted by dunster
When I started quilting I had absolutely no color sense and putting fabrics together was frightening. I bought Color From the Heart by Gai Perry - http://www.amazon.com/Color-Heart-Se...7963965&sr=8-1

This book has several exercises that help you learn to put fabrics together. I highly recommend it. Now selecting fabrics is fun for me. Sometimes I do it from my stash and don't even start a quilt - just enjoy playing with the fabrics.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:32 AM

My quilt buddy has a wonderful eye for color. I rely on her to tell me what looks good together!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bamagal
Originally Posted by Terryl
Wow!! I would love to have this talent!! I might let you do it!! :D
It will be my pleasure anytime. I should mention that as a hair stylist/salon owner color is my speciality.