Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I hate to pick colors >

I hate to pick colors

I hate to pick colors

Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 AM

I love picking colors, and I usually bring me daughter who has always been great at it. I usually use lots of colors, if you use enough they will go together lol. Choose a color you like then grab bolts that you think will go together and put them on a table, usually the ones that dont go will jump out at you. Good luck
Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bamagal
I love to piece. I love to quilt. I love to pick blocks!! I hate to pick colors. I can't look at fabric and mix up colors and prints. So my quilts tend to be two colors. White and either a print or a solid. I can mix a solid and a print, if I have a solid color that is also in the print. Then I guess I have three fabrics. I can't seem get the concept of color ranges. I don't know how to mix two prints. I can pick fabrics I like, but I can't mix them up. I've tried light, medium, dark, but then is one a solid, one a small print and one a big print. Do you see the problem?
I'm with you. They call me "Two Color Quilter" in guild. I started taking a friend that has an art degree when I want to buy fabric or pic out of my stash. If she picks it out I can do at least 5 colors in 1 quilt.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 AM

Try some kits that are all made for you and you will get it soon enough.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 AM

I have the same exact issue...colors and prints. When I see quilts on here I say oh wow I love the colors. I got in the wrong line when that part was being given away also. ha ha ha
Old 02-18-2011, 05:11 AM

It does take some talent and fearlessness. Look at a color wheel and you would be surprised by what colors are opposite each other. The ladies who work at the LQS are very helpful, too.
Sue
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM

The people at my LQS are really good at helping,but I also like kits, and precuts - I have gotten some BOM's but tend to get tired waitiing and lose interest.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 AM

I was like SuzyQ, I had garment sewed for years and there you didn't mix stipes, plaid flowers etc and usually only worked with maybe two colors. It has taken a coupel of years, but I am finally expanding my color choice for quilts. Working on one now with 4 colors, a long way from where I was and I love the combo.
One thing I know I did for a long time was to look TOO CLOSE for a match. You need to do as someone else here suggested and put the fabrics on a table and step back several feet. Best to turn and walk away, then turn back and look (not stare) and the odd ball that don't belong will jump out. It seems the longer you look the harder it is to be satisfied.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bamagal
I love to piece. I love to quilt. I love to pick blocks!! I hate to pick colors. I can't look at fabric and mix up colors and prints. So my quilts tend to be two colors. White and either a print or a solid. I can mix a solid and a print, if I have a solid color that is also in the print. Then I guess I have three fabrics. I can't seem get the concept of color ranges. I don't know how to mix two prints. I can pick fabrics I like, but I can't mix them up. I've tried light, medium, dark, but then is one a solid, one a small print and one a big print. Do you see the problem?

I love picking colors. There are many books out there that will help you learn the values of color and show you how to use the color wheel. There is an item called the Ruby Beholder that you look through to help you see how your fabrics work together.

Don't give up....it is so rewarding to learn the process!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 AM

Go go your LQS and ask for help. I used to work at a quilt shop (they are now out of business) and it was fun for us when someone came in and wanted help selecting colors for their quilt(s.) You'll get ideas that you may not think of otherwise (and you won't like some suggestions, that's OK.) This will help open your mind to new possibilities. There were ladies who were quilting buddies that came in to pick fabric for each other's quilts and they had different tastes & styles!

Line up the bolts you have in mind and back away at least 5 feet, this will help you to better see how the fabric looks together.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 AM

You should have no problem doing the scrappy things then. In them, anything goes. If you want to make somethingelse that requires fabric choices such as the log cabin, then bring it here. We'll help you decide.