Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just can't make myself do it >

I just can't make myself do it

I just can't make myself do it

Old 05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

So so sorry, It's always hard on us when our children are hurting.

Put the quilt away for now. You'll know what to do with it sometime in the future.

Ninnie
Old 05-05-2009, 02:05 PM

I'm sorry you're going thru a tough time. Go ahead and put your project aside. You may feel like picking it up again someday.

About 10 years ago, I was working on a very detailed counted cross stitch picture of an old world Santa. My sister died a couple of days before Christmas and I totally lost interest in my project. Every time I looked at it, it reminded me of her. I did eventually finish it, but it was 3-4 years later.

If you still have the urge to quilt, make something special for yourself.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Been there, done that! Put the quilt away and pull it out in a few years when your son's life takes an upturn. Then give it to charity.

Or, give it away to someone else who wants it now, who doesn't have an emotional attachment to it.

Things will get better. Chin up!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by okie3
Do I just put the quilt up for awhile and see how things go.
YES! At least that is what I would do. Quilting and giving quilts as gifts is supposed to be joyful, or therapeutic, not stressful and potentially resentful.

I wish the answer to the rest of the problem was as easy. I'm sorry for everyone involved in the situation. It's sad when families break up - no matter what the reason.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM

I agree with everyone,put it away and come back to it someday. We are kinda going thru the same thing with my Grandson. He is iraq right now just found out he will be there for 1 year. Has a son 7 now his wife wants to call it quits while he is over there where he needs to be careful and not have this on him. Maybe your sons wife will see the light and not do anything stupid and they will be able to get things straight. I hope and pray this will happen. but until you find out put it away.
Thoughts and prayers are with you.
BillsBonBon
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Thanks to all of you for the support and advice. I've spent the whole day today working on my youngest grandsons quilt. Can't belive how much of it I've got done today. I also need to figure out 2 baby quilts. One for my nephew and his wife and one for one of the guys and his wife that works for my hubby. I'm sorry to hear about the others that are having the same problem as my youngest son. They have been married 12 years--he was an officer in the Army when she married him she knew what she was getting into. She had to go through training for officers wives. Right now he is on his way to Ft. Levenworth for the next 3 months for school. He will only be 6 hours from us so we have already made plans to see him over Memorial weekend. We have not seen any of them in 4 years. It's so heartbreaking cause I'm wondering if I'll ever see his 2 sons again.
Thanks for letting me vent. I really can't do it any where else as my son wants it kept quiet for now. He has to do something soon. I don't want him going back overseas again with this hanging over his head.
You all are so great.
Connie
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 AM

I am sorry your son is going through this. I am sure everyone does not mean to place all the blame on the DIL. Having been through a messy divorce its never only one sided.

I say take a day or two and get your mind heart and spirit settled then work on the quilt with lots of prayers while working. I would even tell her your working on her quilt and praying for the two of them.
What better way to show unconditional love. How could she not make sure her children see their grandmother who showed such love during a very bad time? You never know this could be a cry for help from her......
Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 AM

Gee I am so sorry for you and your son....I guess I am different than than everyone else...I would work on the quilt as fast as I could with prayers in tow.....I hear it is so hard to be married to a military man they almost have to have a split personality....one so tough and mean and the one with a loving family....it is so hard to adapt....I have had a Nephew and a Nephew in law......and one marrige gone and one is always working on there relationship.....so I will pray to that all turns out for the best and please finish your quilt with prays in tow....my 2 cents....good luck
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Talk about Deja Vu. I have a double wedding ring I started 5 years ago for soon to be ex daughter in law. I didn't like the colors she wanted so it wasn't easy to work on & then the on going divorce that has taken 6 years to finally get over & done with. My ds kept going back but has finally had enough of her garbage. Also made a beautiful double Irish chain that I was going to give her some years ago but haven't quilted. Had a change of heart. Don't know what she would have done with it & I put way tooooooooo much time & effort into it (king size). So I would hold on to it wait see. I pray for you & I know the pain & troubles you are feeling. It hurts when our babies get hurt & we can't do anything about it because they are grown.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 PM

I feel so bad for you and your son. I know how it hurts. My son went through a divorce, also. I agree with the others--to just put it away for now. It will come to you later what you want to do with it. My prayers for you and yours.