Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advise! I'm scared of my new long arm! >

I need advise! I'm scared of my new long arm!

I need advise! I'm scared of my new long arm!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Practice, Practice,

also one of the ladies from our quilt guild goes to some Longarm classes and she loves it

maybe you can create a thread to find out who has the same type of longarm that you have so they can help you
That is a great idea! :idea: :thumbup:
Old 05-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

Practice!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 AM

Practice, practice, practice! And if you think about it, practice goes with a lot of things.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 AM

I bought my HQ used---need I say more?????lol

I quilt only free from the front of the machine. I tried pantos and HATED them. The boards are way too pricey for me.

I got lots of charity tops from my guild and just keep at it. I am amazed at how good I am now. I have had the machine for 2 years and LOVE it.

I practice a new all over pattern and then get really good at it. I have 3 different ones that I now do.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:04 AM

Load the cheap muslin and practice! You can easily see the results and not be distracted by the fabric. You'll probably develop a pattern you really like and make it yours.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 AM

Some shops sell muslin with washable pre-printing that has a whole cloth pattern, and some have various sample patterns on them. They're to practice FMQ (or long arm I suppose). I think they run about $30. Why not try one of those.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

when i purchased my long-arm i spent at least the first year working on practice quilts- just 2 pieces of solid fabric with a batt inbetween so i could see what was happening...i did quilt some real quilts, but i kept practice quilts going pretty much continuously that first year- now 10 years later i still load up a practice piece every now and then when there is a gap in quilts to be quilted.... it takes practice- lots of it--and i really recommend classes on your machine if you can find some---could you possibly get classes from where you purchased the set up??? i'd be checking-
some issues customer service can help you with over the phone- but there is nothing like hands on real instruction
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 AM

I understand where you are coming from. I've had my machine for over five years and am doing just ok. People have told me to practice, practice, and practice but I keep practicing the wrong way and have done so for years. I won't quilt for anyone else because I have never gotten better. Finally, this Saturday I found someone who will give longarm lessons on her machine at her house and I can't wait! So don't give up, there are sources out there.
youtube has some great ideas as well
Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it's a silly post at all!! I don't have a LA but I'm intimidated by my Bernina for quilting. Hope you get the help you need so you can enjoy your wonderful gift. :)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:46 AM

Don't give up. I also have Bailey and love it. Keep practicing. Wonderful Yahoo Bailey group which is awesome for information and troubleshooting.