Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advise! I'm scared of my new long arm! >

I need advise! I'm scared of my new long arm!

I need advise! I'm scared of my new long arm!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 AM

Love the idea of the mirrors. I am always checking by getting into a contortion with my flashlight.

I also go to thrift stores for sheets. Can't beat the prices in my area. Also they almost give away the old stained yucky blankets, so I can practice different weights of batting. Some people now want polar fleece inside etc. (Whatever, they are paying.)

Also remember that there are NO QUILT POLICE! People are not going to be nearly as critical as you. Watching videos and seeing how other award winners get away with 'mistakes' is an eyeopener. What you want is a pleasing product!

There is an awesome free resource with 365 quilt designs here;http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I can only echo what others have said. I got my LA last July. I draw designs alot. I find drawing a design over and over again until it becomes as second nature as signing your name has helped me the most.

I think you also need to pinpoint exactly what it is you are afraid of. Are you afraid of ruining a quilt top? Then practice on inexpensive muslin as some have suggested. Do you find the muslin and practice batting too expensive and still afraid to practice? Go to your local thrift shop, salvation army store, goodwill and yard sales to find cheap practice pieces of fabric, linens etc and buy cheap blankets for batting, etc.

The only way you will cease to be afraid of your LA is to use it and practice as often as you can or are willing to. Additionally, you can not compare your results to someone who has been LAing for a really long time or has a computer guided setup. That will only discourage you and reinforce the fear. So load up some practice pieces on that baby and quilt the bejeepers out of it. Keep the result as a pet blanket or donate to your local animal shelter. Keep at it and have fun.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 AM

Those long arm! They are so big, we think they are like the gentle giants on the playground! I have had my gently used Gammill for almost 2 yrs. I am JUST comfortable with it. Here are a few things that have helped me.

-Don't forget to breathe...and take that death grip off the handles!
-Search out the users group for your machine (they are usually on Yahoo or Google groups) that way you will have someone that speaks your "Bailey language". Those quilters are INVALUABLE! They will even be cheerleaders when you need them.

Two longarm sites that I love

www.mqresource.com (stands for machine quilters resource). I have taken 2 online classes there. It is a subscription site, but, I can get opinions, design help and more cheerleading when ever I need it. I go their daily to see what other quilters are doing. And when I started, the video tutorials were WONDERFUL. I could go look at them again and again.

www.longarmuniversity.com Another great site. I have not taken any classes there yet, but an online buddy has and was very happy with them.

-remember you had to crawl before you walked. Don't be too critical of yourself! I could not do a pantograph to save my LIFE for about a year. (they looked ok to my friend, so she let me do her charity quilts). Do what you like and feel comfortable with. When you are ready, try something new...on a charity quilt, really BUSY fabric hides alot, or like others have suggested, my fav DOG BEDS.

and my fav advice that I use EVERY TIME I quilt? A white board. You can practice to your hearts content till you like what you see. Use a low odor marker (ask me how I know!) and don't put your elbow down. You are teaching your arm the muscle memory for the designs you want to learn.

-have FUN. I know of a couple of ladies who either bought frames and never set them up or purchased a long arm and never use it. Keep plugging! If you want more help/cheerleading/etc. feel free to PM me!

(sorry this is so long! I just remember feeling...WHAT HAVE I DONE?...you are not alone! lolol)

Beth in AZ
gammill Classic plus 'Lucy"
www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I know how you feel, I just got my LA about 6 weeks ago. I've only done a couple of practice pieces and a few charity quilts. I learned on the practice piece how to take stitches out. As soon as i realized that i could 'erase', I became much more relaxed. I have a large whiteboard that I use. I lay the WB on a table and draw standing up, holding the pen perpendicular to the board. Sort of mimics the motion of how you would LA. I love the clear vinyl suggestion. I'm going to try that. The other thing I did was piece the worlds ugliest quilt from sheets,D9P & pin wheels. I had done some plain muslins but wanted to practice on something with blocks, not only for the patterns, but to figure out how to deal with seams. I have also read where if you do a practice piece, just put a new piece of fabric (sheet, muslin etc) on top and re-quilt the same piece. I'm a pretty good crafts person, but have no artisitic ability and I'm seeing a bit of improvement, so I'm hopeful! Keep at it!!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 AM

PPP and MORE practice!!!
I bought sheets at the local thrift shop, bought cheap low-loft batting and did 10 "quilts" before I felt brave enough to work on a quilt. I would draw out blocks, triangles, etc to get used to quilting inside the lines. I then had a friend that was sweet enough to bind those "quilts" and she gave them to the local humane society.

Hang in there -- you'll improve!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 AM

WOW I am so impressed with all the advice you have received. What a nice group! I learned a few things too.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 AM

There are long arm quilting shows QNNTV.com. I think it is $25 per year to watch all you want. I also hear a tip of buying the cheap, cheater panels, because then you can practice fitting designs in spaces etc without being worried that you are messing up a nice quilt.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM

I don't have a long arm, but my sister does....(see AudreyB above). I recall she got frustrated when she was first figuring it out, but she practiced and practiced, and she did conquer it. You can too. Just jump in there. You can do this!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Doodle! sit for hours and just doodle without lifting your pencil. it takes several times (about 14) for your brain to learn a pattern. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck. Remember you are bigger and smarter than it is. Have you named her?!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Practice, practice, practice and then practice in between the quilts you are doing.

Just sandwich two pieces of fabric as in a quilt and start longarming. First get the feel of the machine and then practice the 'art' work.

You can use the same 'sandwich' over and over again - just change the color thread you are using and quilt over and over on the same piece until it is really used up. You don't need to have a usable quilt when you are done with your practice piece, just a better feel for longarming the designs you want.

Don't give up. We are here for you. We've been there.
I've had mine since November and love it. I have a computer system with mine, but find I do a lot of free motion work!