Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need motivation... please help... >

I need motivation... please help...

I need motivation... please help...

Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
I play with my stash, look at my pattern's and pictures in my mag's, that usually gets me started.
Same for me!!! Those slumps can creep upon us unawares. Don't be too hard on yourself..... we have all been there. You have made the first step just by acknowledging it.... You will find your way back. {hugs}
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM

I get like that with just about everything...lol. Several people have said what I think helps...do something small that you can accomplish quickly. I'm very impatient and want to see the finished result yesterday.

I bought this new Horizon last Thursday and didn't even practice sewing on it till Saturday afternoon. Today I started a small wallhanging that I should be able to finish really soon. My instruction class is 1/27 at the dealer and then right after that my whole sewing room needs to be rearranged...must buy tables etc. I'm using the machine downstairs on my dining room table and won't bring it up till everything is just the way I want it. Then I think I'll feel like really diving in on the 3 projects that I have planned.

Oh...looking at fabric sites and going through my magazines and books really gets me inspired too...like others have said. And just reading and looking at the pictures on this site helps too.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Quilting is a creative process and if you're not feeling it, you just have to back off from it for awhile. I once had almost a ten year hiatus. I'm never feeling it right after the holidays. Too burned out from making gifts and usually just putz in the sewing room for six weeks or so in the winter. For whatever reason, by early Spring, that's when I'm ready to sew like crazy. Start by planning a few projects in your mind, or look through books and magazines. As some of the others have mentioned, that kitchen timer each day for even a few minutes does seem to help. You'll get there!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 AM

I feel like I'm in the same boat as quiltingfan. I just can't seem to get the quilting steam going. I look at patterns, fabric, etc. but just can't seem to decide on what to do. I finally decided to start on something small and quick - maybe that will get me going again.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 AM

Sometimes we just need a break to get our energy back and refocus...don't beat yourself up...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
Ok here is what I would do. Start small. Organize the 3 projects you just talked about. Have one ready for cutting on the cutting table. Get the seasonal runner setup by the machine. Put all the current fabric together for your sons quilt. Each day work on one project for 15 mins. You can spend 45 mins a day 15 mins on each project. You will be amazed at how much you will get done. I think maybe a new house and a clean room maybe stopping you as well. If you keep it small the mess will stay small and easy to clean up. Relax put a favorite movie or music on and enjoy your new space. Luann
Luann, I think you hit the nail on the head. I need you to come and get me organized. I like your idea of setting up the three projects, ready to go. Yes it is hard to walk into a neat space and decide what to do. These last few "football" weekends were really great for my motivation. When the game started, I headed for the sewing room and found a project to work on. My biggest accomplishment was to tackle an applique BOM for the next guild meeting. By Sunday evening, it was finished. Yea!!! Good luck, Neighbor. Let us know what you chose to do. We're cheering you on!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:59 AM

I once hit a 3-year slump. You could just be overwhelmed by the move and the unpacking and the unfinished projects looming. One thing that has helped me out of a slump is sitting down and organizing my fabrics by color, organizing my magazines by date and reading every one of them (this could take days!), and completely cleaning the sewing room so that it is ready for a fresh start. Good luck - and congratulations on the move!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 AM

First you moved and its right after the holidays both are exhausting . Then there is the slow down for winter time. We all feel it, we just don't pay attention.
When I have a slow down , I either take a break and don't even think about sewing or doing any thing like it. I clean things,(in other rooms) and read for a few days. Then I watch maybe a video on youtube or The Quilt Show that kicks in my "want to" normally. And gets me thinking creatively again.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Maybe your space is not inspiring you. Kind of a fengshui (sp) thing. I have trouble working in a room until I arrange it so I am comfortable. I can't do anything facing a wall. Try sitting in your sewing chair and just moving it around the room until you find the spot that feels right.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 AM

I have the opposite problem. I am ready, willing to quilt, but my Babylock is in the hospital. TWO WEEKS! Don't know if I can stand it. No wonder I wait till the very last minute before I take it in. Grrrrr............lol.
Judy