Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need motivation... please help... >

I need motivation... please help...

I need motivation... please help...

Old 01-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts34 View Post
I participated in the 12 Days of Christmas mini quilt at http://temeculaquiltco.blogspot.com/ and it was so much fun. I am also making a baby quilt out of recycled blue jeans that I am taking as a shower gift on January 14. Both of these are small projects and completing something is important. Make some strip potholders and give to family or friends. Many of us start projects and then don't finish them. I have seen many quilters posting that they are finishing UFOs and trying to use up their stash.
My husband actually asked me for a pot holder for his cast iron pot. What do you use in the middle of it? I think I need to reserch it and it would probably be a good thing to make quick. I love the rush of a completed project. That might be the thing to do.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
A second thought. Don't shoot me!!! But maybe lack of motivation and enthusiasm is because other things are more interesting and should be enjoyed instead. If you're sick of it, do something else! Life is short!
In fear of backlash, but meaning well,
Sue
No backlash allowed. this would be something that I would say too. But I really want to start quilting again... sigh...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I had surgery in October and was really looking forward to getting back to my quilting (curently working on a wilderness quilt for DIL) and when I felt well enough I went into my sewing room and started to work on it. But everything I did came out wrong and I spent more time ripping out then I did actually sewing. It was very discouraging and I haven't felt any inclination to spend time in my sewing room since then. I have 8 blocks of a 12 block quilt top together. Just need to get motivated again. There are a lot of projects that I would like to start but I feel guilty about starting anything else until I get this one finished. I know my DIL is anxious to get it.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Don't worry losing your Mojo is normal. It happens to all of us. Just take time out to enjoy your new house and soon, when you are ready the sewing motivation will return.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM

I just did a major clean up of my sewing space. I put all my UFO's in one place. I put them in order so I just go to the drawer and pull the first one out. I have finished three projects so far. I refuse to start anymore projects until I complete all the ones begging to be completed.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Something that really gets me moving is when I quilt with a friend. Just don't talk tooooo much.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:10 PM

Its January. Make a snow man out of marshmallows have a hot chocolate and cut out a pot holder or 2 or 12. Sew another day. You will be ahead no matter what.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM

I sometimes find when motivation is lacking, that calling a friend and sewing together helps me. We have a meeting room at our local library and they let us sew there, free of charge. Just visiting with someone makes the time go fast, and seeing some one else's projects usually sets my mind in action. The tea/coffee/chocolate idea sounds like a good one to me, also.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM

I am in a slump and have been since January 1, but feeling stirrings of ready to start. Hope your quilting high returns soon.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
We all get in a quilting slump once in a while. I think you are just tired from the packing... and the moving... and the unpacking...now I'm tired just thinking about it. Grab a stack of quilt magazines, put your feet up and enjoy a nice hot cup of tea/coffee/chocolate. Maybe go in and get your new sewing spot set up and looking nice. Fondle your fabric for a bit, that always cheers me up. Hopefully you'll soon be ready to get started again.
I'm with you!