Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need some help!!!

My best investment was my chair with wheels. I can roll anywhere I want to go.

Blog Entries
    make your sewing area so your sewing machine along the wall, to the right iron station and to the left cutting station

also a chair on rulers is nice

have fun getting your room organized

I would swap the ironing table and cutting table. And if you have a chair with wheels you can "roll" over to the ironing table and back again smoothly. It may be because I'm right handed, but I find it easier to move to the left to do my ironing while sitting at my sewing table. BTW, a "messy" sewing area shows that you are an active quilter and making beautiful works of art! Good luck.

Organization, organization, organization.
    Remove the clutter. Unclutter one section at a time so you do not feel overwhelmed. The room will have a better "feel" to it. Its good exercise to move from station to station. :) They say to never sit more than 15 minutes at the sewing machine anyway. Pressing and trimming are necessary aspects of quilting.
    I love the color of the walls!

I also have a 9'x9' sewing room. However I only keep one machine out at a time and try to clean up at the end of each sewing day. Believe me it helps with the clutter. I do have two large closets that take up one wall though. This upsets me. Can't have everything. I find that getting up to press is good exercise at my age. LOL!. I may try the snack table trick though. My dream is to have a larger area so I can have my long arm in the same room.

Linda

I was so shocked to see your comment. Do you remember coming to see me in Plymouth.

Linda

Blog Entries
    I have small folding table I purchased from WalMart for $15. it is height adjustable, which I setup next to my sewing chair and I lay my folding ironing board on top of it still folded (the waffle type shelf lining or rug lining keeps it from sliding). Other than that I finger press the seams as I sew, when I have several seams complete I press them all at once.

I certainly don't want to get too much exercise by getting up and down too frequently.

This comment was for Crafty Bear from Quilter41.

Linda

Paint the room a light nuetral color. Taupe is great. (It helps to bring out the natural color and highlights of the fabric. Especially if you put up a design wall to place squares.

The window....put a "window seat book case" under it. Then, position your sewing table in front of it coming out lengthwise (you'll be facing the right-hand wall when looking at pic.) This gives you the natural light when sewing and gives you space to extend your sewing area to the right of you machine when machine quilting. You can position your cutting board/ironing service (whatever kind) directly behing you against that wall. You can then just turn around while sewing and do you what you gotta do. Hang your other necessary supplies (thread, etc.) on the wall above this.

Place book selves (?) on their side for fabric stash, etc. on the right hand wall. Having them low provides you with the large wall area above them.

Just some thoughts. Hope this helps. Would love to have this space.

Last....."Have fun with it!!"

hA, MINE IS TWICE AS SMALL! IRON BOARD IN ONE RM AND MACHINE IN CORNER SPACE WITH COMPUTER ALONG SIDE IT...NO ELBOW ROOM! ONE DAY....WILL GET THAT ROOM CLEARED OUT FOR SEWING. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    Do you have an office chair that is on wheels? I LOVE mine and just kick myself back from the sewing machine and there is the ironing board.

I store my fabric on shelves so I can see what I have. For me out of sight out of mind. You could say I am just plain out of mind. lol
    I have a wheeled chair too. I scoot back and forth between my sewing desks. I bought a small "countertop" ironing board at Wally World, and put that next to my machine. Mini or regular iron works with it. Or mini iron on a teflon pressing pad- done that too.

Looks JUST like mine! Only I don't have any space under any thing. All of my space is used up. I have a table top ironing board on a storage barrel just behind my sewing machine, so I can just turn around and press. I pin my blocks together at my cutting table. (about 2 feet from my sewing machine table) and take them to the machine. My cutting was made by my DH for my height so I could cut easier, so it is higher than any other table in the room. It may be cluttered but I don't have any probs, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    You have a lot of under utilized storage space. Change the tables out for dressers if you don't sit at them and that'll help your storage issues some.
    You probably wouldn't need to buy dressers, but could get some of those plastic drawers to put under your table and store some of your fabrics. You could probably set two sets side by side.

Thank sure makes me feel better!! Mine gets a little out of hand sometimes, too!

I like what ScissorQueen suggests. Also go verticle. Go to Lowes and see what they have in kitchen cabinents for storage. Use the door to hang rulers and other tools.
    I see that you use the treddle machine, but how often? Could you move it to an unused spot in you dining room and give it multipurpose use? Move everything out and do your redesign. I use a table top iron board right now as it is easier to take down and put away.

I agree with the one who said, move your sewing machine by the ironing table. I have a L shape machine cabinet. so I have a small ironing pad there. I used my full size irn as I have not had good luck with the others. For storage under your tables, you could build shelves under so they would be open or you can buy those plastic sets of drawers that roll
    Happy Quilting

Omnigrid makes an 8-1/2 x 11 travel folder, inside it has an ironing surface and on the opposite side a cutting mat. It is perfect for sitting right next to the machine. Walmart and Target sell little travel irons, about 6" tall and foldable. They work perfect on this little surface.

My comment is that it is very good for you to have to move and get up to iron in between sewing. It moves all the joints again and acts like a mini exercise so I would say don't worry too much and look at it as preventing any repetitive strain injuries. I like all the other suggestions for storage and sorting etc.

A lot of my thoughts have already been mentioned. With small spaces, it is important to go up - at least one wall could have a shelf 18" down from the ceiling to hold things you rarely use. If they are in clear plastic boxes, it could be a pretty design element.

Don't forget to check out IKEA for furniture/shelving

ginnie6, Try chain sewing...Sew several squares without cutting threads. Decide how many blocks you are making. Sew half of them and then press those. Turn the blocks and sew the second row together. Press those blocks. It will save time, etc.
    Eiltcoq.

If at all possible, place the sewing machines on the same table, with some space to work on the right (or left, if you are left handed) for your blocks. Make your space to the right to be a combination cutting-ironing station so that you only have to swivel around to press, or to cut. I did not notice your chair, but if you can get a swivel office chair so that you do not have to move, it will work better. Place your threads near the sewing area (on the wall just in front of the machines, if you can. The more you can place everything you need for each job(cutting, sewing, etc.) the better off you will be.

Guys, what is IKEA furniture and shelving, please? My sewing space is 10'X11' and I am trying to redesign for easier access. Thanks

I used to use a travel iron with my padded cutting board (sr. moment -- forgot what it's called). But to help with circulation and for exercise, I set up the ironing board and iron in the utility room which is on the opposite end of the house. I now sew a few seams, then walk to the ironing board to do my pressing. It works for me and helps with the old circulation. The only problem I have now is that dadgummit iron has an automatic shut off. I need to go back to the travel iron.

I am quite new here. Will someone tell me how to view these pictures, please

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast