Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your expert opinion please :) >

I need your expert opinion please :)

I need your expert opinion please :)

Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 AM

I usually pin baste (with safety pins - straight or bent - whichever is handy). If it's a king-sized quilt I'll likely thread baste so as to not add all the weight of the pins. I hand quilt so don't have issues with dealing with removing the pins during machine quilting.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I use straight pins to baste big quilts. I use Pinmoors with the pins and never get stuck. I have tried all the make do items to use but nothing works better for me then the actual Pinmoor. The fine pins slip right in and stay until I take them out. I now use a Pinmoor with every straight pin I use. I use long fine pins for basting. If you have to push the pin through the layers the pin is too dull. I have started using Elmer's washable school glue. It's fast and easy for a bigger quilt. The basting spray is too messy for me.
What is a Pinmoor? And I bought some washable Elmer's glue but I'm not how to use that so on the shelf it sits.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I'm another Elmer's School Glue convert. I used to use the pins and it took forever, to get the layers perfectly smooth. With the School Glue, sandwiching the quilt has turned into an actual pleasure! I always wash my quilts, before gifting them, and the Elmer's School Glue washes out completely. I also use it, for binding.

I use the Warm & Natural/White cotton batting; not sure if it'd work well with poly batting.
i use W&N cotton batting as well. It makes the baby quilts so soft. I think I may need a tutorial on the Elmer's glue before I'm brave enough to give it a whirl. I'm going to look on you tube.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have used almost all of the possible methods to baste, and spray basting with 505 won for me hands down! That is what I would recommend to a newbie. It is worth every penny. (1) It is fast. (2) It is easy. (3) If you make a mistake, it is easy to re-position. (4) It holds all layers in continuous contact with each other -- unlike pins, which make contact only every 4 inches or so -- and this pretty much ensures the layers won't shift on you while machine quilting. (5) It is removed in the first wash, which again saves time.

When I pin-basted with safety pins (small brass pins are the best; brass won't rust if your quilt happens to stay pinned for a decade or so in the forgotten UFO pile), a pin I didn't see got caught on my very expensive Bernina walking foot and ruined the spring in it. That's when I decided to finally try spray basting.

If you decide to spray baste, definitely read some of the old threads about it. Using a good technique and using the best basting spray you can find (for me that is 505 for a variety of reasons) makes the process almost magical. Without good technique, you learn everything the hard way (as in ending up with batting fluff stuck all over you ).

Edit: Elmer's school glue basting is newer than spray basting. If I couldn't spray baste, I would definitely try the Elmer's glue basting method.
all excellent advice. Btw, thanks for making me chuckle. I loved the humor in 'stayed pinned for a decade or so in the forgotten UFO pile)!!!! That made me laugh out loud and today that's a good thing because the morning was not the best so thanks for helping the smile to return to my face!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 AM

I spray baste all the time. Hate to use pins of any kind because i am always pokeing myself either putting them in for taking them out. I mostly make baby quilts when i quilt and stuff. I do wash the quilts a couple of times before giving it to the mom however just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM

I have done both spray baste and safety pinning. I find spray basting works like a miracle... no matter how much I twist and bunch and flop the quilts around. I also find the smell of some overwhelming...and while I do like 505 I find it sort of expensive. The quilt I am working on now I am pinning with brass safety pins.. but not really sure how far apart to place the pins. I am really curious about the Elmer's school glue technique. Can someone explain that technique to me? Or point me to a thread that does explain it? Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Hey, Lovequilting22, I just realized you are pregnant. If using basting spray, you really want good ventilation -- even more so in pregnancy. So, if at all possible, you want to use it outside in the open air. This applies even to the basting sprays that do not smell so bad (such as 505).
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

meyert, here's a link to a tutorial on basting with Elmer's glue:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t208057.html
Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM

I've been spray basting with Sullivan's spray, it's stinky, so it's better done outside or somewhere with good ventilation.

I've been meaning to try glue basting, but haven't yet. I used to pin baste with safety pins, but I had problems with pleats (folds) appearing on the back side. I don't get that with spray basting.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
You need to use bent safety pins designed especially for basting quilts or just tack all over in 4 inch squares.

For a baby I would not use glue. Straight pins are not for basting.
I use the safety pins too, they work great!!