Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your expert opinion please :) >

I need your expert opinion please :)

I need your expert opinion please :)

Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 AM

Oh definitely spray it!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 AM

My DDIL and I spray baste. We just spray basted a throw-size quilt. Her method is better than mine.
1. With batting down (we lay a king-size sheet over carpet) and backing on top, fold top back and spray halfway; press backing down and smooth completely; fold other half back and repeat.
2. Turn the batting and backing over with backing on top.
3. Lay quilt top down on top of backing; fold halfway back and spray; smooth top down; fold other half over and spray batting; lay top down and smooth flat.
4. We folded the back and batting over at the edges so that the edges were not sticky.

We have been using this method (have used Wal Mart brand Spray; Joanne spray; and I use 505.
No shifting or puckering. I have done an over-size twin on my domestic machine with no problems.

With spray, you may lift the fabric and reset if necessary and it will stick back down with no problem. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 AM

I glue basted the last baby quilt I made with Elmer's school glue. Easiest I ever did. All I did was drizzle a ver thin row of glue every 3-4 inches from top to bottom and let it dry overnight then quilted it the next day. When done I washed it out. Worked wonderfully on the small project.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I pin 99% of my quilts with basting safety pins and the Kwik clip tool, and it really saves my fingers. I did find that the curved safety pins work better than the regular ones, but the Kwik clip tool is an absolutely necessity if you want to save your fingers. I have a friend who uses the basting spray, but I've only used it on a couple of small quilts or if I'm making bags and the fusible fleece doesn't want to stay fused.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by littlebitoheaven View Post
1. With batting down (we lay a king-size sheet over carpet) and backing on top, fold top back and spray halfway; press backing down and smooth completely; fold other half back and repeat.
2. Turn the batting and backing over with backing on top.
3. Lay quilt top down on top of backing; fold halfway back and spray; smooth top down; fold other half over and spray batting; lay top down and smooth flat.
4. We folded the back and batting over at the edges so that the edges were not sticky.
I think you will have your top glued to the back doing it like this. In number 2, I think you meant: Turn the batting and backing over with the BATTING on top. Then in number 3 you will lay your quilt top onto your BATTING.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by maviskw; 08-22-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM

I've used spray basting on lap sized or smaller. I've used bent safety pins mostly. Tried Pinmoors, but found they fell off a larger quilt while maneuvering it thru my machine and ended up getting stabbed lots of times. I use the Kwik Klip for fastening and unfastening my safety pins. You'll get very sore fingers otherwise. I have not tried hand basting yet, tho it might prove to be a good method depending on how I'm quilting. Sharon Schambers has videos showing her method.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 AM

I use safety pins. I always make sure that the quilt sandwich is right before I start pinning. My first quilt was a Queen and when I got to the edges, the backing was too small. So I had to unpin about a million pins. Then I bought new backing and when I got to the edges, I found out the batting was incorrectly put on. So I unpinned again. I have read on the board about using Elmer's School Glue on even Queen size quilts and I think I will try it on some lap size first and then go on to the larger quilts. I have tried the iron on batting and that was a waste of time, I never could get it to stay. Try various ways and find out what you like.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I spray baste all mine after I learned about 505 basting spray. Will never pin again.
Ditto. It washes out.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 AM

I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert, but I'll gladly share my experiences. The first quilt I use the bent safety pins and quickly realized that I didn't like that at all. Then I tried the Pin Moor dealy bobs that go on the straight pins, better but still a pain. Then I used Sullivan's Spray basting and it all came together. Now I spray baste everything, with my husband's help to make sure I don't get a fold or wrinkle. I tried to spray baste a baby quilt by myself and that was not a pleasant experience. It takes two people to get a nice smooth quilt sandwich. I'm a spray basting fan all the way.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 AM

Since you already have straight pins in place, get the foam ear plugs and put them on all the remaining pins - end of problem. They are widely available at pharmacies, sold in a plastic jar. This is the brand I use: http://www.amazon.com/Flents-Quiet-T...time+ear+plugs They have gone up in price since I got mine, but keep in mind that unlike the basting spray, you reuse these. I haven't had any wear out yet. There are similar things sold specifically for basting quilts, but I don't remember what they're called.

I have used several methods. I like spray baste, but it's costly and I have to do it outdoors because I'm sensitive to the product in the air. Our climate and the lack of a large table outdoors makes that method less satisfying for large quilts. Also, it doesn't seem environmentally friendly. I hate working with the safety pins - bother my wrist. I've found the use of long straight pins stuck into ear plugs to be a comfortable alternative.