Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I stand corrected...

Blog Entries
    I dealt wit a guy at work yesterday whose session on the computerprogram had timed out. He got really frustrated. I told him that it wasn't a big deal and that he only needed to open a new session (a one-click action). He practically yelled at me that it happened because he put the wrong number in the field. I stated calmly that the actual message said "Your session has timed out. Please restart." AAAAAAND he remained convinced that it was his bad typing.

There is no changing some people's beliefs. Good for you on staying patient.

Been there done that during my life as a volunteer. It is just amazing how cool you must have been through all of that. My husband calls them "self-proclaimed experts on anything you talk about". He used to just shake his head when I'd tell him about my days. It will all work out. Just give her an important job to do that doesn't involve quilting!!

She probably has similar discussions with her doctor and auto mechanic. Best of luck to her in life - she's going to need it.

Okay ladies and gents, since I was just chastised in a PM for my intolerance, let me straighten this out. I don't give a flip what someone calls the strip of material that is sewn between the 'parts' of a quilt. My point was that even though she wasn't sure what it was called, she was determined that it WASN'T sashing. I thought my point was apparent, but apparently it wasn't. (should I put a big smiley here or something?)

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalr
    Okay ladies and gents, since I was just chastised in a PM for my intolerance, let me straighten this out. I don't give a flip what someone calls the strip of material that is sewn between the 'parts' of a quilt. My point was that even though she wasn't sure what it was called, she was determined that it WASN'T sashing. I thought my point was apparent, but apparently it wasn't. (should I put a big smiley here or something?)
    Well, then I guess you need to forward that PM to me cuz I'm real intolerant of know-it-alls who know nothing! :wink: And BTW, I've always been taught it was sashing...called that in every quilting book I own!

Duct tape, duct tape, duct tape ! It even comes in olors now. LOL

I work with a lady like that, and to keep my blood pressure under control I have learned to just smile and let it go. It won't do any good to argue (like talking to a stump). Just tell yourself this is the only way she knows how to carry on a conversation.

Blog Entries
    Are you serious? Wow. I can't even think of anything (nice) to say about that.

Just say "OK" and Smile. My GD always used the word "Whatever" We even found a shirt with that on.

Think you handled it very well :P
    Now let it roll off your back & on to the floor!
    Have a Great Day! :) :P :)

OMG, I feel awful for you. I thought PM's were to help each other, ask questions for something that person wanted advice on. Or rather just a nice way of conversation between people. I too have received one and only one of those and could not believe it. Please let it go...obviously that person has problems that go way beyond your topic.

Your topic was fine and believe me we all know people like that and do our very best in trying to deal with them. Most if not all of us agree that you handled the matter the best way possible at the moment. Personally, I think you had a lot of patience with that woman and am always amazed these types of things seem to happen a lot within church groups trying to do good for others....now before I also get into trouble I'm not saying always but there are certainly more in those settings than I personally feel should ever be in that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Well, then I guess you need to forward that PM to me cuz I'm real intolerant of know-it-alls who know nothing! :wink: And BTW, I've always been taught it was sashing...called that in every quilting book I own!
    omg....I just love you

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Wow- someone sent you a PM because you posted about how you did NOT lose your cool when confronted with someone who was behaving in a very irritating manner? Really?

Well my take on this is that you did very well indeed. You are not denying your (totally understandable) feelings about this person's behaviour. You did not hurt her feelings by telling her that she was being a silly know-all, or even try to put her down with some sharp remark highlighting that you know more about quilting than she does. Instead you chose to stay cool on the outside and let out your feelings (and see the humour in the situation) with fellow quilters on an anonymous board. That sounds to me like a very healthy way to deal with it. Well done. I am firm believer in seeing the ridiculous in these situations!

Sounds like one of those "Do you have to be right? statements. In the scheme of things it just does matter. It wouldn't be worth the time to argue with her. I would just have said, I am sure you are rigt! And zipped away from her in a hurry and found someone else more agreeable in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    Wow- someone sent you a PM because you posted about how you did NOT lose your cool when confronted with someone who was behaving in a very irritating manner? Really?

Well my take on this is that you did very well indeed. You are not denying your (totally understandable) feelings about this person's behaviour. You did not hurt her feelings by telling her that she was being a silly know-all, or even try to put her down with some sharp remark highlighting that you know more about quilting than she does. Instead you chose to stay cool on the outside and let out your feelings (and see the humour in the situation) with fellow quilters on an anonymous board. That sounds to me like a very healthy way to deal with it. Well done. I am firm believer in seeing the ridiculous in these situations!
    Here, here...you handled the situation beautifully :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The lady must have been very old!
    Years ago you didn't hear the word sashing very often,
    only in regard to the wood pieces that divided the glass in windows.
    We used to say "division strips" or something like that.
    I think "sashing" is a much more usefull descriptive word.

Sashing is the word I have always heard.

Bless her pointy little head, sometimes the best thing to say is, "You may be right about that."

And remember, ordinary people like us are VERY annoying to those who know EVERYTHING.

You have great patience! I probably would have walked away and then she would have thought me rude. Some people just think they know everything.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like she is one that always has to be right about everything. Why then does she get off the subject lol I probably wouldnt or couldnt have been that nice lol I hope your group was able to come up with an idea for labeling!!!

rebeccalr

You were right in changing the subject, there is nothing worse than a "Right said Fred", believe me!

TreeFrog

Google sure understands what sashing is.

You handled it well, I agree there is ALWAYS one or two of the "ladies" (and I use that word loosely here) who know it all. Its useless to try to educate them. Just look heavenward and say a little prayer for patience and change the subject.

Blog Entries
    LOL!!! Gotta love it! God puts people (all kinds) in our way to sharpen us and help us improve our character. At times like these, we can't quite get the words out: Give thanks in all circumstances! :wink: :lol:

Never try to tell someone something they don't want to hear. I have had people tell me a 1930's quilt they had is at least 100 years old, because their GM made it.

Update...the fellow board member that PM'd me, misread the post. She has rePM'd me and apologized. I also apologized, because I was too hasty in my response to her.

That is one thing that anonymity on boards like this perpetuate...us not being kind to each other. I was civil to the woman at church b/c that was the right thing to do in the situation to keep the peace. I didn't 'have' to be on here.

Maybe I learned 2 lessons. Ignore those who know everything. DON'T reply everytime you want to.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast