Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I stand corrected...

Sashing is what we call it. The woman said that sashing made her think of satin? Maybe she's thinking of a stin sash for Miss America. LOL

Yes, bless you. You learned two important lessons with the posting. Patience IS a virtue and you handled yourself fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    for a minute there I had to look at your location- I thought it was my sister. She doesn't quilt- but she knows it all!

Sounds like you handled it just fine!
    There must be one in every family, because I have a sister like that too. Just can't live up to her standards or perfections, so she disclaimed me as her sister. Doesn't want me in her life at all. So sad!!!!

Blog Entries
    LOL ......I've sat on many such conversation at work.
    I Think you have 20 women in a group and you'll get 20 different ideas for 1 thing...
    Hang in there....

Quote Originally Posted by S D G
    Ya' no, duct tape works wonders for people like this.lol
    OMG, I needed some the other night. At our women's meeting we were discussing the quilt I'm working on--queen snowball pattern. One gal doesn't hear well. She knows she doesn't hear well. Anyway we offer first, second and third place prizes for our raffle. I told them we had a personal sized patriotic quilt for one of the other prizes and a food basket for the third prize. (most members don't quilt). Anyway, said hard of hearing woman cut loose on me for cheating those who spend good money buying tickets because I was not offerning a "standard" sized quilt. I asked her what size she wanted the quilt to be and she kept yelling that it needed to be standard sized. I told her she was going to have to tell me what standard size was. she didn't know but not making a quilt big enough for a double bed was just out of the question and how dare I rob people of their ticket money. Now, bear mind that all this was becasue she had not heard the whole conversation.

God's gonna get her one of these days!

Quote Originally Posted by GGrammie
    LOL ......I've sat on many such conversation at work.
    I Think you have 20 women in a group and you'll get 20 different ideas for 1 thing...
    Hang in there....
    My theory is if you have 20 people, you have at least 21 opinions! If not more! tee hee

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    Sashing is what we call it. The woman said that sashing made her think of satin? Maybe she's thinking of a stin sash for Miss America. LOL
    LOL, shows how worldly I am. I thought "blanket binding". Yep, I bet she did meant the queeny sash

Quote Originally Posted by OHSue
    Reminds me of something I used to say to my son when he was little and would argue with me like this....

Obviously it is more important that I be wrong than you know the right answer.
    ..............grannie makiing note.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    silence is golden, duct tape silver.

I think we've all encountered people like the one you had that conversation with. I give you so much credit for keeping calm!
    ...............grannie making more notes..................

Geez what a know it all. Even though she didn't know the answer she was sure you a quilter were wrong. Honestly it takes all kind to make a world.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Sashing is also called lattice...that may have been what she was thinking of.
    My guess is that "thinking" was her problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalr
    Okay ladies and gents, since I was just chastised in a PM for my intolerance, let me straighten this out. I don't give a flip what someone calls the strip of material that is sewn between the 'parts' of a quilt. My point was that even though she wasn't sure what it was called, she was determined that it WASN'T sashing. I thought my point was apparent, but apparently it wasn't. (should I put a big smiley here or something?)
    ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I got your point. Been there--done that!

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    The lady must have been very old!
    Years ago you didn't hear the word sashing very often,
    only in regard to the wood pieces that divided the glass in windows.
    We used to say "division strips" or something like that.
    I think "sashing" is a much more usefull descriptive word.
    As I read it, she was quoting an Amish quilter she had talked to. Not all patterns employe sashing. Whatever her conversation with the Amish quilter was about, may very well have involved a different pattern. Still, why would a non-quilter argue with a quilter? duct tape sounds good!

Congratulations on your restraint, some people have to be right even when they're wrong.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry you had to go through that!! It brings to mind a conversation I had a few years ago, though. Hubby and I were moving across the state (Idaho). We had just been to the new city (Pocatello) and picked out the new house. I had taken photos of the area from the back porch of the new house, and some of the pictures showed the mountains across the valley from our house (the house itself was also up a mountain a ways.)

Anyway... I had made a scrapbook page with the photos and was sharing it with some ladies I had been acquainted with. The scrapbook page was titled "our new house". Here is the conversation (or as close as I can remember it).

woman: "I thought you said your new house is in Pocatello."

me: "It is in Pocatello. Why?"

woman: "There are no mountains in Pocatello. If your new house is in Pocatello, these pictures could not be from your new house."

me: "I admit that there are no mountains actually IN Pocatello, since the city is mostly in a valley between several mountains. Our new house is up the side of one of the mountains, so it is kind of in the outskirts of Pocatello."

woman: "No. There are no mountains anywhere near Pocatello. Why don't you just show us pictures of your REAL new house? Is it really that bad?"

me: "I am sorry to disagree with you, but these really are pictures from our new house, and there really are mountains around Pocatello. Perhaps you can come visit us once we are moved in so you can see for yourself."

other woman: "It has been a long time since I have been to Pocatello, but I am pretty sure Christie is correct."

first woman: "Well... those must be NEW Mountains then!"

Can you imagine how hard it was for me (and most of the rest of the group, I am sure!) to not laugh at this?!? "NEW MOUNTAINS"?!?! REALLY!?!? Some people!!! LOL!!!!!

I'm not arguing with anyone, but I was taught that the "sashing" was the inside narrow border and/or spaces between blocks. People use sashing to frame a fussy-cut to separate it from the crowd of other fussy-cut pieces. The entire quilt is then framed with shashing before the final border is applied.

I send you my blessings! Seems there is always one in the group. I went through this several years ago.

It must have been a very trying experience, but look at the great story you got out of it! And I've enjoyed reading everyone else's stories, as well... Good for some laughs! Let me guess that this lady is getting up in years? Lots of older people blurt out any kind of hurtful, opinionated thing, thinking they can say anything because of their age. Let's all try to remember that, because it's where every one of us is heading, should we last that long.

And just out of curiosity, why was she there for the meeting, if she wasn't a quilter? Just nosy?

Reminds me of a gal at my church, where I taught various quilt classes for years. "Jane" (not her name), was not a quilter, but always knew better or more than me. And she knew that she had more fabric than I did (she had a closet with fabric on the shelves - I have a room + full of fabrics). And then she bought in a quilt top that she got for free and wanted all of us to help her hand quilt it.... for free. I was VERY happy when she stopped coming. (we never did help her finish that quilt - can you imagine what THAT would have been like?)

Yes, gotta love the church groups. And did I mention I'm a church secretary? We always say that the people drive us crazy, the job doesn't pay well, but the retirement benefits are "heavenly". LOL

My husband and I work with a lot of machines and with each machine the names for stitches vary by manufacturer(if they name them at all)- you wouldn't believe the down right threats we have received from total strangers who claim we are misrepresenting a stitch or what a machine is capable of because they never did that- usually followed up with' I should know because...' For every name there is for something, there are at least two more- not to mention if you travel around the country or to another country. Next time tell her 'the space below the thingy' and see if she can argue that- look in the thesaurus and find a few more words so you can just keep rambling- be sure to look up a few in French or Russian to really keep her off balance.

Quote Originally Posted by writerwomen
    be sure to look up a few in French or Russian to really keep her off balance.
    BWAHAHAHAHA!
    This is SO what I should do for the next time I am in this sort of situation

you have patience, because that conversation lasted a lot longer than it would have if it was me talking to her !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by penski
    you have patience, because that conversation lasted a lot longer than it would have if it was me talking to her !!!!
    Ditto!

That's hilarious!!! You held up well!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast