Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5
Results 101 to 120 of 120

Thread: I stand corrected...

  1. #101
    Super Member Lucy90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,914
    You handled it ok. I know a few people like that & sometimes I can tolerate it & sometimes no.

  2. #102
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,294
    You are the soul of discretion. :) Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks?

  3. #103
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    western NC
    Posts
    175
    Please have sympathy for me. I have a brother who knows everything about everything and does not hesitate to explain anything to you in great detail. When I "butt in" to tell him I've known that since I was ten years old he scolds me tells me to let him finish. ARRRRGH He once went into interminable detail explaining to me that when buying shoes I should remember that the number refers to the length and the letter refers to the width. We are both in our 70s and it never occured to him that I might have figured that our several years ago. Lord, give me patience.

  4. #104
    Senior Member olebat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    809
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Sashing is also called lattice...that may have been what she was thinking of.
    There are times when I slip into old, or seldom used expressions. I used the term lattice at guild just last week, and no one knew what I meant. I repeated it a couple of times before I could even think of sashing. Then, of course every one knew. Remember cloth stores, or piece goods - how about yard goods? Now they are all fabric stores. Times change, but my grey matter doesn't keep up.

  5. #105
    Super Member annette1952's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Harrison, MI
    Posts
    8,444
    I think you have alot more patience than I do! LOL

  6. #106
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,620
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    If she was thinking satin, she must have been thinking of a sash on a fancy dress or something. Totally different. lol

    On another note, when I put in the word sashing, my spell check says it's not a word.
    How can it not be a word..... "muffin top" is now a word :-D :-D :-D :-D

  7. #107
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,548
    Quote Originally Posted by kit'smamma
    Please have sympathy for me. I have a brother who knows everything about everything and does not hesitate to explain anything to you in great detail. When I "butt in" to tell him I've known that since I was ten years old he scolds me tells me to let him finish. ARRRRGH He once went into interminable detail explaining to me that when buying shoes I should remember that the number refers to the length and the letter refers to the width. We are both in our 70s and it never occured to him that I might have figured that our several years ago. Lord, give me patience.
    This is when losing one's hearing can be a blessing... Or just let your thoughts wander and think about something more important. That's my little "mental rebellion" to having to listen to idiots.

  8. #108
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,548
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Sashing is also called lattice...that may have been what she was thinking of.
    There are times when I slip into old, or seldom used expressions. I used the term lattice at guild just last week, and no one knew what I meant. I repeated it a couple of times before I could even think of sashing. Then, of course every one knew. Remember cloth stores, or piece goods - how about yard goods? Now they are all fabric stores. Times change, but my grey matter doesn't keep up.
    No kidding... I keep embarrassing myself by refering to my IPod as my "Walkman". 80's much? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

  9. #109
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,620
    Thanks for starting the topic.... and the amusing stories from others.
    Duck tape :)
    Also liked the "can we call it this today?"

    You handled both situations well, Happy Quilting !!

  10. #110
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    176
    I like it when it happens to other people and not me.. Sorry

  11. #111
    Super Member bjnicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    1
    My dear late MIL always told me I'd get my reward in heaven in cases like this!

  12. #112
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    jamestown, new york
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    If she was thinking satin, she must have been thinking of a sash on a fancy dress or something. Totally different. lol

    On another note, when I put in the word sashing, my spell check says it's not a word.
    So now it's not only the framing for a square but also now not a word? Oh no, what will we call it and how will we spell it. The agony, the agony. lol. heheheheheh. :) :)

  13. #113
    Senior Member kapatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    820
    Blog Entries
    1
    :lol:

    Oh, well. She'll find out one day.

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb44662
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    for a minute there I had to look at your location- I thought it was my sister. She doesn't quilt- but she knows it all!

    Sounds like you handled it just fine!
    There must be one in every family, because I have a sister like that too. Just can't live up to her standards or perfections, so she disclaimed me as her sister. Doesn't want me in her life at all. So sad!!!!
    oh oh....we don't have the same sister do we????? :shock: :shock:

  15. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Central Texas
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by cnolan
    I am so sorry you had to go through that!! It brings to mind a conversation I had a few years ago, though. Hubby and I were moving across the state (Idaho). We had just been to the new city (Pocatello) and picked out the new house. I had taken photos of the area from the back porch of the new house, and some of the pictures showed the mountains across the valley from our house (the house itself was also up a mountain a ways.)

    Anyway... I had made a scrapbook page with the photos and was sharing it with some ladies I had been acquainted with. The scrapbook page was titled "our new house". Here is the conversation (or as close as I can remember it).

    woman: "I thought you said your new house is in Pocatello."

    me: "It is in Pocatello. Why?"

    woman: "There are no mountains in Pocatello. If your new house is in Pocatello, these pictures could not be from your new house."

    me: "I admit that there are no mountains actually IN Pocatello, since the city is mostly in a valley between several mountains. Our new house is up the side of one of the mountains, so it is kind of in the outskirts of Pocatello."

    woman: "No. There are no mountains anywhere near Pocatello. Why don't you just show us pictures of your REAL new house? Is it really that bad?"

    me: "I am sorry to disagree with you, but these really are pictures from our new house, and there really are mountains around Pocatello. Perhaps you can come visit us once we are moved in so you can see for yourself."

    other woman: "It has been a long time since I have been to Pocatello, but I am pretty sure Christie is correct."

    first woman: "Well... those must be NEW Mountains then!"

    Can you imagine how hard it was for me (and most of the rest of the group, I am sure!) to not laugh at this?!? "NEW MOUNTAINS"?!?! REALLY!?!? Some people!!! LOL!!!!!
    Yea...I remember quite clearly....when I lived in Montpelier Id, we came over Fish Creek Pass (7200 ft), down, down, down into Lava Hot Springs, and before you could shake your little tail, you were in Pocatello. I mean sure seemed like mountains to me...but then I was born and raised in the flat corn fields of Iowa, so what flat lander could tell the difference between old and "new" mountains??? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

    Honestly, sometimes people say the stupidest things!!!!

    My own experience with this came from a Doctor one night in the hospital.....I was a midwife for many, many years, and one night one of my ladies had to head to the hospital to have her baby (I only did homebirths). This doctor and I (after the baby was born) got into a "heated discussion" about whether there is one bag surrounding the baby...or two. (There are two...the inner bag is called the amnion, and the outer bag is called the chorion. You can separate them)...he swore up one side and down the other that I was just a stupid midwife that didn't know anything...you should have seen the look on his face when I grabbed a pair of gloves and promptly separated the bags before his eyes!!! Priceless :lol: :lol:

  16. #116
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,548
    Quote Originally Posted by kaykwilts
    My own experience with this came from a Doctor one night in the hospital.....I was a midwife for many, many years, and one night one of my ladies had to head to the hospital to have her baby (I only did homebirths). This doctor and I (after the baby was born) got into a "heated discussion" about whether there is one bag surrounding the baby...or two. (There are two...the inner bag is called the amnion, and the outer bag is called the chorion. You can separate them)...he swore up one side and down the other that I was just a stupid midwife that didn't know anything...you should have seen the look on his face when I grabbed a pair of gloves and promptly separated the bags before his eyes!!! Priceless :lol: :lol:
    Now that's just scary! :-(

  17. #117
    Junior Member cnolan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FROM: Idaho. IN: Georgia
    Posts
    275
    Blog Entries
    1
    I guess that is just one more example of why they call what the doctors do "Practice"! LOL!!! (and YES, it is scary, too!)

  18. #118
    Junior Member rebeccalr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Watertown, TN
    Posts
    229
    [quote=kaykwilts]
    Quote Originally Posted by cnolan
    My own experience with this came from a Doctor one night in the hospital.....I was a midwife for many, many years, and one night one of my ladies had to head to the hospital to have her baby (I only did homebirths). This doctor and I (after the baby was born) got into a "heated discussion" about whether there is one bag surrounding the baby...or two. (There are two...the inner bag is called the amnion, and the outer bag is called the chorion. You can separate them)...he swore up one side and down the other that I was just a stupid midwife that didn't know anything...you should have seen the look on his face when I grabbed a pair of gloves and promptly separated the bags before his eyes!!! Priceless :lol: :lol:
    Stories like that are EXACTLY why I birthed my 3 with a midwife.

  19. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    715
    On the topic of whether words are words- my grandmother as child was often called out for the fact what she said or wrote was not a real word. She proudly defended herself and would prove that it was because it was in the dictionary. She opened her dictionary and showed them right there- there in the margin hand written with definition and all was the word. She really was ahaed of her time, seems that's the way most words get put into the dictionary.

  20. #120
    Super Member mountain deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Petersburg, WV
    Posts
    1,555
    I am biting my tongue not to say what is on every one's minds. Boy is it hurting. ROTFL!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.