Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I stand corrected...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Sashing is also called lattice...that may have been what she was thinking of.
    this is what my long time quilter calls it too..Lattice, which i thought was for my climbing flowers! lol

Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S D G
    Ya' no, duct tape works wonders for people like this.lol
    You crack me up!!!! But so true!!!

Next time tell her "Webster says: "framing" that is what you do. Then if she still doesn't understand, tell her it's in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Did you ever pray for patience? BIG mistake!:>)
    Yep, someone told me this years ago - if you pray for patience, GOD gives you something to be patient about... LOL :lol:

you did great in dealing with this know it all lady, ohh wait, she did not know it all coz she did not know the "CORRECT" name of the thing she was arguing about!!! go figure!! patience is a virtue!!! and you have alot of virtue!! take care....gina

B J
    I have a Sampler Quilt book that calls it Lattice but that is the one and only time I have seen it or heard of sashing being called Lattice. Maybe that is what she was refering too.

Zoe
    What would the world be without the quilt police, ever ready to criticize rather than to educate or to help? As I've written before, our quilt group had one of these know-it-alls, an elderly woman who, in fact, was a wonderful quilter at one time. As she aged, her skills began to fade, but you could almost guarantee that she would blurt out some hurtful comment whenever one of us would show our quilts such as: "someone needs to teach this lady that babies do not like bold colors". The lady displaying the quilt (happened to be me) bit her tongue but oh how I wanted to say back: now you've insulted two of us. I made the quilt but the colors were chosen by the lady who wanted me to make the quilt.

Another time one of our elderly quilters displayed her quilt with such pride until that is our police lady said in a loud voice "one of your squares is in backwards". I was helping hold the quilt and I reached over to give this lady a hug to comfort her. Thankfully, she said "Oh, I don't pay any attention to that old crone"!

Whatcha' gonna do? Here's what, let the criticisms roll off your back, smile sweetly, and give thanks that you only have to deal with this curmudgeon for a few hours. Pity her poor family. :roll:

Blog Entries
    Some people don't know when to keep their mouths shut!!

Sorry, I am really chuckling over this one! Every group has at least one--please, Lord, let it not be me! I just started quilting with the church ladies on Mondays. I have to pray to hold my tongue each week, not to swear or get involved in any negative banter! Needless to say, I don't run into such issues when I play cards with the guys at the VFW on Thursdays!

Banned
    I loved the story. I could just picture the conversation. Thanks for sharing it. Made my day.

Reminds me of something I used to say to my son when he was little and would argue with me like this....

Obviously it is more important that I be wrong than you know the right answer.

Well at least I just learned what sashing means!(I think) :lol:

Some people may not be right but they are never wrong, and we all know a few of those, don't we? At least the work of your hands will help somebody. piecefully, the old one

Regarding the individual (bless her heart) who felt it necessary to chastise you for intolerance, I ask why? You gave the woman more patience than anyone I know could have given to no avail. There is no one so stubborn as the truly stupid. And how stupid of her to argue with you when she clearly did not have all the facts at her command--and what is really amazing, is that this did not bother her at all---she still knew you were wrong!! Never mind the rudeness of correcting the teacher. Perhaps your church's womens group could have a study on submission. But I am following a bunny trail, back to the tolerance. Tolerance in the guise of political correctness has gotten many in the world to a very bad place, where wrong is right, depending on who is doing the wrong, and the technique of denigrating one who disagrees with you is a common operating procedure. All done, not to protect (you fill in the blank), but to secure power. Intolerance is a good thing--

OMG>>>OMG and you said she is not a quilter?????wow some people have nerves but i have learned to breathe deeeeeeeeply in such situations and in my mind "God save them from their ignorance". Just take it easy and move on.

yes, i noticed a person seems to get alot of practice with praying that one. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rainybug
    Just gotta luv the Quilt police!
    Don't neither! There, that's my intolerance showing...

Just an idea, what if you just say to that non-quilter expert person, "OK you may be right, but in this class that is what we will be calling it. When you go home you can call it anything you want!"

Blog Entries
    silence is golden, duct tape silver.

I think we've all encountered people like the one you had that conversation with. I give you so much credit for keeping calm!

RML
    Now that you say that I have a sister like that too -
    You are sooo funny

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalr
    My women's group at church is making a quilt to silent auction for one of our missions. We met this morning to sew together some of the blocks. Let me just say that leading a women's group has greatly increased my patience levels, thank God!! A few of us were discussing where/how to label the quilt. Here is the conversation with a person that doesn't quilt:

Me: We could put the person's name in the sashing under their block.
    Lady: In the what?
    Me: In the sashing.
    Lady: What is that?
    Me: The material you use to frame the block.
    Lady: That isn't what it is called.
    Me: Yes, it is.
    Lady: No it isn't. I have never heard it called that.
    Me: Well, the frame you put around the block is called sashing.
    Lady: No, it isn't. We just had a quilt made by an Amish woman and she didn't call it that.
    Me: What did she call it?
    Lady: I don't know, but it wasn't that.
    Me: Well, lots of people call things by different names, rails or 'blocking the square', but it is also called sashing.
    Lady: No, it really isn't. Maybe borders or something.
    Me: Borders go around the outside of the quilt, not the individual squares.
    Lady: I can't remember for sure, but sashing makes me think of satin or something like that.

I just had to change the conversation, because I was really getting aggravated. She just had the most matter-of-fact tone and aire. I am not an expert quilter, but have it called sashing, from other quilters, quilt patterns, and the quitingboard.com! Some people's children!!
    I love it! My Dad always would tell us to go to the dictionary! Well, my dictionary has been my friend for a long time. I found "sash" with the meaning "a frame for holding the glass
    pane of a window or door.." But I did not find sashing...that didn't stop me! I went further!! Searched the web for quilting terms and low & behold!!! There it was!!! Sashing!!!! "Sashing The fabric that separates the Blocks, framing them and making the quilt larger."

Here's the link to give to your group for your next session!! I just LOVE it!!

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra.../glossary.html

In the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 10ed. the word "sash" is framework for panes of glass. I guess we
    Quilters borrowed the word. Put it in your dictionary the next
    time you use the computer. Happy Quilting!

Was a minister's wife for 43 years until DH passed away. I know from experience that the church is full of sinners that need forgiveness. Some for big sins and some for their know-it-all attitude. It is the wise woman who tries to enlighten them, but when they resist just walks away letting them continue to be wrong. The people who matter (those who love to quilt) know what it is called. You did a great job of handling her and the situation. Plus the example you set for the other ladies in the group (who are more than likely tired of her attitude also.) Another star on your crown in Heaven!

BTW my dear grandmother, who taught me to quilt, always called it sashing. She learned from her mother. Grandma was born in 1882 so the use of sashing for quilting has been around for more years than this wannabe. So there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S D G
    Ya' no, duct tape works wonders for people like this.lol
    yep and I sure would have used it here! LOL

Are sashing and lattice the same thing? Just wondering if there's a difference in case I bump into this woman.

Bless you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast