Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ideas for "man colors"

cjc
    I just finished piecing a top with Kansas Trouble by Moda. (15 different fabrics plus background) Although there are a few small florals in it because of the deep blues, reds and browns it definitely has a masculine feel to it. I told my husband it was for him. (yeah right!)

How about creams for the background combined with greens & browns like the pic on my avi? This is in the process of being made for the wall of my dad & step-mom's newly redecorated bathroom which is centered around pine cones.

It's not as one-sided manly as using blues, and I've used fabrics with specks of golds which dress it up and make it less harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i'd stay away from anything floral - actually i'd stay away from all novelty prints but thats just me - i see them as feminine regardless of the design.

if you have to use a pattern i'd go for a paisley. all colors are good except the pastels. red is a nice color thats pleasing to both men and women.

i'd opt for solids, blenders, tone on tone, etc - these fabrics are gender neutral - batiks would be nice.

then for a pattern i'd do a D9P - its a lovely geometric design, is to put together, and is gender neutral.
    Men do flowers ... a few, the more deep the color, (although my man does love yellow roses ) Some of the best gardeners in the world are men, and if you think about it, most of the handwork we do today, thinking it is "women's work" ... was actually an industry done by MEN ...
    The paisley is excellent. DD showed me the most favorite shirt of her husband, and I noticed a couple of things ... the paisley, and the light colored cream/background was MINIMAL.
    The D9P -- excellent choice .... men like straight forward, easily comprehended angles ... it is just the way their brain works. There are exceptions (paisley, yellow roses, male gardeners), of course, but for most men, they worry about something that looks fragile, or too easily dirtied ("all that white scares me to DEATH!") ...
    I love the log cabin, the D9P, even four patches and stars ... and, then, you will be surprised how much detail your friend's husband will see in your quilting ... they pay attention to some pretty amazing things.

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    How about a mountain scene or a pictoral quilt with dark reds, greens, dark blues and browns. My 2 cents.

I just made a 16" mariner's compass with a cream background and Moda marbles in purples, teals and green (but you could substitute a yellow or red). I hung it on my design wall so I could live with it for a while before quilting it, and my husband really liked it. If you paper-piece, take a look at Carol Doak's Mariner's Compass book. It has 24 different blocks. You could choose one for your center medallion and make some of the others to place around it.

Depending on what their decor is, red, white and black always makes a striking quilt.

Navy blue, burgundy & tan is another option. If they hadn't eliminated white - black, red & white makes for an interesting combo - you could substitute light gray for the white.
    Betty

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    When I was in NY I purchased Hoffman's Jelly Roll called Bali Pop in their pistashio (Ok, so I can't spell, LOL) line. It is 40 colors in greens, browns and blues, from lights to darks. I am making that for my DH, he loves the colors. But he also will wear a pink shirt so I don't know what to tell you, LOL.

How about brown, black and beige with a hint of burgundy? Those could be very manly colors and they are very rich looking together.

Ask for paint chips. You want to match their bedroom first.

I made our quilt for the bedroom from purples, greys, greens and creams ... thankfully my hubby likes purple ... but I think that with a more simple graphic pattern (squares & rectangles) it becomes less gender specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriane
    I've found that most of my male friends, including my husband, are drawn to the darker (blues, browns, greens) batiks (ones with no specific design, like butterflies or anything). My husband is a color theorist (don't ask) so he pulled together some great batiks for me to use on his snuggle quilt.
    I know you said not to ask....but I've got to ask...what the heck is a color theorist???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2