Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If someone were to paint us a picture >

If someone were to paint us a picture

If someone were to paint us a picture

Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
I agree with you. It seems, however, that today's society with gift registrations at every store (weddings, etc.) is dictating that THEY decide everything and that the gift giver better adhere. Too many do not understand the creative process.
That is SO true. I don't know about y'all, but my parents taught me to be grateful & thankful when I got a gift... no matter what it was. People have just gotten so self-centered & it makes me so mad. How about GRATITUDE, people? Beggers can't be choosers & all that. Grrrrrrr! Sorry! I went off on a little rant there.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM

In the past year I gave a picture to 3 of my children. One got a full figure portrait in pastels.One asked for a large graphic. One wanted a landscape in the style of an artist that he could not afford to purchase. None were anything close to what I was doing at the time and all were a bit of a stretch compositionally. However all are hanging in their homes and all the kids are happy. Art is very personal whether it is paintings or quilts. Not everyone likes Picasso or Wyeth and not everyone likes every quilt they see. I think it shows more consideration to ask about personal taste before selecting fabric. Their heart's desire may not be what you expect.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 AM

If you don't want to ask before hand what kind of quilt someone might want, no problem. You do it how you want to.

And, there's nothing wrong with asking an intended recipient what colors, theme, etc., quilt they might want. You would know then that that person would like it. But if you do ask, then follow through and MAKE THAT QUILT. Why would you ask if you wouldn't plan to make what the person wanted? Just because YOU don't like certain colors is no reason not to make a special quilt for someone you care about. You'll only have that quilt in your possession for a little while, so what's the big deal?

I've made several quilts on which I really hated the colors. They went to friends or relatives who received them with great appreciation and I know they are more likely to be used since they match the person's decor or style. And I'm just as proud of those as any others I've made as they turned out to be beautiful quilts, even if the colors weren't my favorites. Quilts are fun to create, but I get the most satisfaction from knowing my gift will be cherished.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
That is SO true. I don't know about y'all, but my parents taught me to be grateful & thankful when I got a gift... no matter what it was. People have just gotten so self-centered & it makes me so mad. How about GRATITUDE, people? Beggers can't be choosers & all that. Grrrrrrr! Sorry! I went off on a little rant there.
Amen, to that! It seems as if there's a major "entitlement" virus, going around. Too many people "expect" gifts, rather than appreciate them. :-(
Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Yeah but you also have to look at it this way, the person can either really love and enjoy your gift(ie time well spent) or hate the color design, etc shove it in a closet and never use it(time and money wasted). Some people are picky, but if I am gonna make something that time consuming and precious I would like to know it will be cherished
I agree 100% with Dolphyngyrl. If I want the person to use and like the quilt I made for them, I will either ask what colors they want/like or I will be sneaky and observant in the colors they use for their decor. IMHO color is a very personal choice and we react to color subliminally as well as consciously. I love quilts and I know how much work goes into one, but if I were gifted a quilt in colors I can't stand I know I would not use it. Some people love orange and purple together, me, not so much. Some love brights, some want subdued country colors like kansas troubles. A floral print may not be a suitable choice for a manly type man. Even going all neutral colors (beiges, browns, taupes) which I personally love, could be an epic fail for someone who loves color. So I think asking for color preferences is a wise choice if you want your quilt to be used and not end up as a dog bed or resting spot for greasy engine parts.

Edited to add, art (paintings etc) is also very personal. So if you expect it to be displayed and hung in the person's home, you better know the recipients tastes. I would never presume to paint a picture of a cat and gift it to someone who didn't like cats. Or paint a picture in all red hues for someone who had their house decorated in all creams and tans and browns.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 06-07-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Well - if I commissioned someone to paint a picture for me - and I asked for tan and black German shepherds and the painter delivered white poodles - I would not be happy!