Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If there are no "quilt police"... >

If there are no "quilt police"...

If there are no "quilt police"...

Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Candace,

I think RatherB has the right to express her opinion. She did not single anyone out and I don't think it was necessary to respond harshly. Just my opinion....
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM

If she has a right to express her opinion. SO DO I.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 PM

I think when they say that it is a very nice way of saying "I had to fix so many problems that I nearly puked" but I pulled the hat trick out of my.......

If you have ever fixed somebody's quagmire and made it look decent, then you understand their comment which is simply stating that it took three times as much time and effort as the project looks like it should have.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

I will send a PM to someone if they have ASKED for comments and I think I can offer a suggestion that is MEANT to be helpful - and it could be interpreted as being critical.

There is tremendous variation in the workmanship of the old quilts. Some are very close to "perfect" - others look like they are done by a five year old just learning to sew and are still learning how to cut properly - although I suspect that many five-year-olds way back when were fairly good little stitchers - just look at some of the samplers that were made.

If an item looks like it was made for "utility" - well, that's what it is.

If someone is making an effort to repair/rescue an old quilt that is "so-so" - I think that person is respecting the quilt and maker, too.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM

I just try to think that everyone is being positive and not critical, that perhaps it just didn't come through right when typed and I hope that everyone will give me the same consideration. Thank you for your post, it will help us all make sure that we think our posts through a bit more. Personally I would never mean to offend. I might have though, when I posted pictures of some very damaged quilts earlier today.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 PM

You know I really do wish I had kept the very first shirt that I made for my hubby. Just so I could compare the quality of my work then to the shirts I make for him now.

Equipment does indeed make an immense difference in the finished product. As does experience. You can't get experience without practice. Opinions of experienced quilters can be a valued resource in the learning aspect, that is if one wants to excel and improve upon their abilities. I think it is fantastic to have such a wonderful group of quilters here than are so willing to help one another. Not all of us have the opportunity to take classes or meet with others who quilt to learn from.

I am not aware of anyone here than has ever intentionally been negative toward anyone's work. Perhaps I missed something. Tossing ideas out there that might enhance the next quilt project, does not necessarily indicate negativity toward any one project.

I tend to be somewhat of a perfectionist, but my hubby is far more so than I. If what I have made was done to the best of my ability, then I'm happy. I know that I will do better each time. I don't always appreciate hubby pointing things out to me that he would have or would do differently.
I have started listening to him though, if nothing else just so he feels a part of what I am doing. In doing so, I've found that sometimes the end result was better for having listened to him. We just think differently and that's okay. Sharing ideas is what it's all about right?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM

directed to nobody in particular: lol! don't kid yourself. There are always quilt police ;-)

Who cares?! I don't. Be happy, and sew to your heart's content.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 AM

Quilt police are like telemarketers and door to door salesmen - you can choose to engage with them - or hang up on them, or don't answer the door!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Banned

the so called "quilt police" get a bad rap. I observe that anyone who expresses a contrary or critical opinion are called "quilt police" Let me say it this way. Someone asked for advice about a situation that didn't work for them - points not matching, seams not meeting, puckering and bowing in the center of blocks, etc etc etc. Very little information is given about the situation on which an informed opinion or advice can be given. So we all fish around trying to get the specific info to give an informed answer. During this fishing spectulations are voiced and then finally someone says, perhaps in a kind way, "either your cutting or piecing was not correct". I inwardly resent being called the "quilt police" if I am giving my best guess about what caused the ultimate problem. Guess the alternate is to just keep quiet and allow the one posting to continue to do bad work (is this again the quilt police talking - to use the words "bad work"). I have learned in my own work that those things necessary to less frustrating quilting and more satisfying results is to:
Read the directions carefully.
Search for basic instructions, if you don't know how,
Develop good practices to cut and piece accurately.
Measure during the process to assure accuracy of finished product.
.....and when asking questions to give all the pertinent information. A statement like "my walking foot doesn't work, what am I doing wrong" just doesn't give sufficient information to suggest correction.
Now I am stepping off my soap box.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:02 AM

:) I am in a much better mood today and just want to thank everyone for thier opinions. I am really glad that this board is made up of so many different people, thought processes and personalities. I did say that what wasn't attractive to one persons eye might be beautiful to anothers, that goes for opinions too. Everyone is entitled to thier opinion and I am glad that they choose to share and that we are all receptive to what one another has to say. My post might not have agreed with everyone, and thier comments might have done the same, but in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? It still serves to help us get to know one another and respect each other as individuals. No, I wasn't singling anyone out. It was a general cranky post. But, at the same time, I needed to say my piece and now I feel better. I hope that this can serve as a little "board therapy" for others as well.
So, with a big smile, I shake my head and say
HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY EVERYONE! The sun is shining, the birds are singing and it's beautiful!
LOL
Thanks everyone for being you! *grins and begins her day*