Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If there are no "quilt police"... >

If there are no "quilt police"...

If there are no "quilt police"...

Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM

And then there are the people who quite honestly want to have their work critiqued by more experienced people. How many times have I read "Please be honest and tell me what you think" and all the posts are so sugary sweet and positive. Why bother?

When I post something I WANT to hear the good with the bad. How am I every going to grow as a quilter if I don't hear what I can improve on?

I spent almost a full decade of my teaching career following the philosophy of the time of having to report to parents "Negative things in a positive way" and it made me sick. Tell it like it is!!

And if you want us to be sugary sweet in our postings say it in your post... "PLEASE be kind..." As for me? I want honest helpful comments.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 AM

Generally, the comments here are helpful and not made with any negativity. I have learned a lot from this board; enough to tackle an advanced quilt I never would try before I started reading here. Will post as soon as I learn how.
A lot of times, the comments hit us the wrong way because we are tired, or have had a very bad day, or many other reasons. I enjoy this board very much.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 AM

I think ratherb was talking about when individuals buy antique quilts or blocks or things bought maybe at the thrift store and the individuals that purchase them will talk about how badly constructed or maybe even the colors. To me all quilts are beautiful. And as my grandmother got older her stitches were not quite the same, but still beautiful.

As someone else mentioned, people did not have all the toys we have now to make quilts.

I have never seen negative criticism of anyones personal work here on the board. I think we are all very supportive.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:09 AM

If you want a real "eye opener" about your work, submit a quilt to a juried show. The comments are not hurtful, but they certainly are honest!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I think ratherb was talking about when individuals buy antique quilts or blocks or things bought maybe at the thrift store and the individuals that purchase them will talk about, about how badly constructed or maybe even the colors. To me all quilts are beautiful. And as my grandmother got older her stitches were not quite the same, but still beautiful.

As someone else mentioned, people did not have all the toys we have now to make quilts.

I have never seen criticism of anyones personal work here on the board. I think we are all very supportive.
You hit the nail on the head! And I agree totally. This is a very supportive board and a wealth of knowledge and experience to the beginner and not-so-beginner alike! You guys have encouraged me to try things I never would have...like FMQ or OBW or creating my own applique patterns. I truely do value your opinions and still consider this board my "guild"
Thanks again everyone for your opinions!
:)
Old 05-22-2010, 02:10 PM

I am new to this board and have not posted any pictures of quilts I have made as of yet. (except for showing someone a QAYG quilt I did) I have read this board for over a year. I have never ever had such a wonderful place to go on the internet. When I get up in the morning the first thing I do is get my coffee and come here. And I come back during the day a few times. I can not believe this is the second time in as many days someone has brought up the quilt police. This is the most welcome and encouraging place for a quilter. I never see any off remarks to anyone. I am disabled and have a hard time doing quilts but I stick with it anyway. When I finish one that is at all worth showing I will definatly post it because I know everyone will be so kind. I just wish these topics would stop. Let's just have the nice kind board we have always had. Reading topics like this is not what I look for when I come here. I vote we have no more topics on quilt police. Please!
Old 05-22-2010, 02:19 PM

I thought I had posted on here but I guess I had posted elsewhere. As far as the quilt police go .... if I post "What do you think" and you tell me ... as long as you are polite about it I want the truth. If what I did has obvious errors and you can suggest a way for me to do better next time then by all means do so. I have only been quilting for just over 2 years and I still need all the help I can get. My three best blocks are a 4-patch, a 9-patch and a block turned on point and even thsoe don't always comeout perfect. Only one Person is perfect and sorry, that ain't anyone here on the board. Yes, there are people that are going to critisize no matter what, but there are also people that are going to love what we do no matter what. You just have to figure out what type of person you are and how you are going to take constructive criticisizm <spelling?>. If it is done politely I do very well.

Any one on the board got a degree in quilting AND in criminal justice? To me, that would be the only person "qualified" to be a quilt police. Now to go back and read the rest of what was written and hope like you know what that I didn't stick my foot in my mouth with this post but oh well .... we all live and learn.

ReRe
Old 05-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Banned

This is just my take on things..........

The quilt police are probably the ones with the latest greatest equipment to work with and a long arm quilter in their back pocket. They have been to every class there is to go to, own an entire library of all the quilting experts books and they think they are an expert because of it. That and they probably live miserable lives to top it all off.

I will admit I am my own worst critic when it comes to anything that I do. I see tons of "Boy what the heck was I thinking about" mistakes in my quilts and when some else looks at them they think they are just lovely and look wonderful. The whole time in the back of my head I am thinking they are either blind or just being nice.

However you do have to judge my quilts on a curve because.........

#1 I am a guy

#2 They were done on a machine that was out of date before the advent of electricity

#3 I have only been doing this for around two years

#4 I taught myself how to sew the same day I started quilting, come to think about it I just learned how to spell quilting a few days ago........

But I say send the "Quilt Police" on over here to my neck of the woods. Lets throw them in front of my 100 year old machine and all of the technology to go with it and see how perfect their quilt is then! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I bet it would take them half the day to figure out how to work the machine!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

#1 I am a guy

#2 They were done on a machine that was out of date before the advent of electricity

#4 I taught myself how to sew the same day I started quilting, come to think about it I just learned how to spell quilting a few days ago........

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
:thumbup: Your on a roll!! :thumbup:
Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by Lostn51

#1 I am a guy

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
:thumbup: Your on a roll!! :thumbup:
I was thinking more in the lines of a downward spiral! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy