Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If there are no "quilt police"... >

If there are no "quilt police"...

If there are no "quilt police"...

Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

I believe that we have a variety of members on this board with a variety of expectations and a great range of skill/ability. I would also like to think that most members (particularly those with more experience) give their advice with an intent to help the other members grow. The rules of the QB are pretty clear and posts that break the rules are addressed by the admins and the moderators. IMHO the only thing anyone can control is the response to his or her own topics.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ReRe
I thought I had posted on here but I guess I had posted elsewhere. As far as the quilt police go .... if I post "What do you think" and you tell me ... as long as you are polite about it I want the truth. If what I did has obvious errors and you can suggest a way for me to do better next time then by all means do so. I have only been quilting for just over 2 years and I still need all the help I can get. My three best blocks are a 4-patch, a 9-patch and a block turned on point and even thsoe don't always comeout perfect. Only one Person is perfect and sorry, that ain't anyone here on the board. Yes, there are people that are going to critisize no matter what, but there are also people that are going to love what we do no matter what. You just have to figure out what type of person you are and how you are going to take constructive criticisizm <spelling?>. If it is done politely I do very well.

Any one on the board got a degree in quilting AND in criminal justice? To me, that would be the only person "qualified" to be a quilt police. Now to go back and read the rest of what was written and hope like you know what that I didn't stick my foot in my mouth with this post but oh well .... we all live and learn.

ReRe
Amen!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I've read this post with a lot of interest, because obviously I'm one of the offenders. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-34459-1.htm

I think that any negative comments on the quality of construction in a quilt we've come across are meant in the same spirit that I made my comments - namely, that perfection is not a requirement for beauty, and that a quilt top doesn't have to be tossed aside just because it has some flaws.

(And no, I don't think this post was aimed at me.)
Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I just read your post - your comments didn't seem to be mean-spirited to me.

It seemed you were just reporting on the condition of what was brought in.

Sort of like a patient being admitted to the ER.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 AM

When I see pictures posted that have obvious mistakes, and I mean OBVIOUS like points way cut off, seams do not match at all, un-square, puckered and wavy, etc., I don't say anything for fear of offending someone. I would love to help but I don't know if they actually want help or if they are simply looking for encouragement.

I've watched people, in person even, do things in a way that is almost guaranteed to get bad results but I've kept my mouth shut. If they don't ask for help then butting in with my opinion is rude and definately a quilt police act. :-P
Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 AM

Things I have learned about posting things on this board and other post in general:

Being human we need to hear the tone of a voice to know for sure how that person is responding. lots of times we are not aware of how that person is feeling and you may take what is written wrong. When you read a post there is no emotions or feeling and person will fill in there own emotions depending how that person is feeling.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Wow. I read all the posts and I am thinking...it must be the weather.LOL. In all phases of life there are things we don't do as well as others and vice versus. We might load the dish washer differently than someone else. The dishes still get washed. SOme people mix their laundry when washing clothes, some still separate colors. My handwriting sucks, others have beautiful writing. I spell well, others don't. This is a wonderful board because we are all quilting friends and can be open to all the discussions and I hope we all try not to hurt feelings. Then there may be a day when you feel bad or have had a hard week, this is the place to vent and get our backs patted and people post to make us feel better...And my day gets brighter and what I was upset about seems so small considering the wonderful friendships I have formed on this board. We can vent. give hugs, and then still be friends. Thank you to all of this board for being here for me. I too get up in the morning and the first thing I want to do is come and read what everyone is doing. Hugs to everyone and happy quilting.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 AM

If it weren't for the friends I have made on this board then I honestly don't know what I'd do sometimes. I suffer from anxiety attacks and one of the first things I do EVERY day is come here and catch up on every body. I look for my friends and for those I'd like to call my friends. There are several of ya'll I can call on the phone if I need to talk to someone and several of ya'll call me when you need to do the talking. Ain't that the way life is supposed to be.
So I say this to the quilt police:

Bring it on. Hit me with your best shot and I can handle anything you throw my way 'cause I got friends and my friends have more power than you'll ever have.

ReRe
Old 05-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ReRe
So I say this to the quilt police:

Bring it on. Hit me with your best shot and I can handle anything you throw my way 'cause I got friends and my friends have more power than you'll ever have.

ReRe
:D :D :D :D :D :D I HAVE to ditto this! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-25-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I've read this post with a lot of interest, because obviously I'm one of the offenders. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-34459-1.htm
(And no, I don't think this post was aimed at me.)
Nope, no, no, no. dunster, I must disagree with your 'being one of the offenders'. Your post was as nice as a post can be. You saved the quilt and turned it into a work of art and wished the owner could see the beauty they put into their work. You were not: negative, hateful, mean, vindictive, snooty, curt, rude, and all those other things that are not good. You didn't berate the crafter. You evaluated and shared with us what repairs were necessary to frame the quilt into a work of art.
I am keeping you on my friend list. :lol: :lol: :lol: