Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If there are no "quilt police"... >

If there are no "quilt police"...

If there are no "quilt police"...

Old 05-21-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
No, this is not what I meant. This board is fantastic for encouraging people in thier talents. I have asked advice myself and eagerly await what people have to say.
What I mean is when someone is commenting on a piece they have inherited, or have worked on from someone else, etc. Sometimes they will make a comment about the original crafters work. THAT is what bothers me. When someone ASKS for critism or opinions, that is fine. As I said, I have done that, and I have offered my opinions too. It is when the individual crafter is not present or has not posted thier own work, someone else posts it and critisizes, that's when it bothers me.
Otherwise, everyone is fantabulous and I love this board!
I actually caught myself doing just this a month or so ago. I bought a couple vintage quilts and that night was commenting to my husband about the quality of work in one. I made a negative comment but then had to stop and think and realize that if I were to try and construct this quilt in the same fashion the original quilter did (all by hand), my finished product would not be as nice. So I stuck my foot in my mouth and silently told the quilter I was sorry.

We all have our moments but I try and go by the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." :)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I made a negative comment but then had to stop and think and realize that if I were to try and construct this quilt in the same fashion the original quilter did (all by hand), my finished product would not be as nice. So I stuck my foot in my mouth and silently told the quilter I was sorry.

We all have our moments but I try and go by the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." :)

That was sweet of you to apologize :) I bet SHE heard!
Old sayings are still pertinent today aren't they!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 AM

I'm thinking when they say something like that they aren't criticizing the work - merely stating a fact and letting us know what they had to work with.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Pam

Originally Posted by raptureready
I just try to think that everyone is being positive and not critical, that perhaps it just didn't come through right when typed and I hope that everyone will give me the same consideration. Thank you for your post, it will help us all make sure that we think our posts through a bit more. Personally I would never mean to offend. I might have though, when I posted pictures of some very damaged quilts earlier today.
I commented on the photos you posted and there was nothing negative that I remember. Have fun with those oldies, but goodies!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM

I really don't think I have every seen a negative comment on someones quilt???? I do know I skim alot of posts but why would anyone do that????
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 AM

Do you remember the song that Dolly Partin sang many years ago about the coat of many colors?

Here are the words to it and I hope we can learn something from this song.

Back through the years
I go wonderin once again
Back to the seasons of my youth
I recall a box of rags that someone gave us
And how my momma put the rags to use
There were rags of many colors
Every piece was small
And I didn't have a coat
And it was way down in the fall
Momma sewed the rags together
Sewin every piece with love
She made my coat of many colors
That I was so proud of
As she sewed, she told a story
From the bible, she had read
About a coat of many colors
Joseph wore and then she said
Perhaps this coat will bring you
Good luck and happiness
And I just couldnt wait to wear it
And momma blessed it with a kiss
Chorus:

My coat of many colors
That my momma made for me
Made only from rags
But I wore it so proudly
Although we had no money
I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me

So with patches on my britches
Holes in both my shoes
I hurried off to school
Just to find the others laughing
And making fun of me
My momma made for me

And oh I couldnt understand it
For I felt I was rich
And I told them of the love
My momma sewed in every stitch
And I told em all the story
Momma told me while she sewed
And how my coat of many colors
Was worth more than all their clothes

But they didn't understand it
And I tried to make them see
That one is only poor
Only if they choose to be
Now I know we had no money
But I was rich as I could be
My momma made for me
Made just for me
Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 AM

I love the quiltingboard. There are thousands of us with knowledge and skills shared daily. I have learned so much and look forward to continue learning from all of you.
I think this is a good post and an opportunity to remind us THE WHOLE WORLD is reading what we write.
When I write something 'you' can't see me or hear me.
It is left up to me to say what I want you to know in a way that you know I am laughing at your funny joke, admiring your work or wishing I had been sitting by the person who made that quilt 80 years ago so I could have watched and learned.
I might not always do a good job of that but with each post I make, I do try to.

I have been shocked and embarrassed (for all of us) at some of the bickering I have read in some of the posts. We are not children and should respect each other. I might not agree with something but I shouldn't feel free to slam the writer. Who am I to do that and what gives me the right?

Respectfully, with warm regards,
Dorothy
Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I have posted a lot on this board, and have never received what I thought was a negative comment. And when I ask for help, it is always there, and always constructive and encouraging. And when I answer a post , i try to do the same things. Just haven't read a lot of negatives on here.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
the so called "quilt police" get a bad rap. I observe that anyone who expresses a contrary or critical opinion are called "quilt police" Let me say it this way. Someone asked for advice about a situation that didn't work for them - points not matching, seams not meeting, puckering and bowing in the center of blocks, etc etc etc. Very little information is given about the situation on which an informed opinion or advice can be given. So we all fish around trying to get the specific info to give an informed answer. During this fishing spectulations are voiced and then finally someone says, perhaps in a kind way, "either your cutting or piecing was not correct". I inwardly resent being called the "quilt police" if I am giving my best guess about what caused the ultimate problem. Guess the alternate is to just keep quiet and allow the one posting to continue to do bad work (is this again the quilt police talking - to use the words "bad work"). I have learned in my own work that those things necessary to less frustrating quilting and more satisfying results is to:
Read the directions carefully.
Search for basic instructions, if you don't know how,
Develop good practices to cut and piece accurately.
Measure during the process to assure accuracy of finished product.
.....and when asking questions to give all the pertinent information. A statement like "my walking foot doesn't work, what am I doing wrong" just doesn't give sufficient information to suggest correction.
Now I am stepping off my soap box.
I guess, I don't try to take the negative, but the constructive out of other's posts. I KNOW that I need improvement, so anything that I can learn from all the others on this board, I appreciate. I try and remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would like to say I haven't taken any posts as an attack on my work, and hope that I haven't said anything that can be construed as an attack on anyone's work.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM

many times i think that the critical comments on peoples work are more helpful than hurtful. mostly because one can't improve with flattery. I also don't think that people are making comments to be mean but helpful.
From personal experience, my mom is very emotional since hitting menopause, I have to keep reminding her that she needs to check her hormone levels and if they are right and she still feels the comments made by people are horrible, I tell her to talk to them on the side and fix the situation. I have to remind my self of this. Since having kids, my emotions are all messed up. my hubby can very nicely say that he didn't like dinner and I sometimes take it as I am a horrible wife, why can't I learn to cook, clean and take care of the children. But I then realize that he is not being me about me but just that his pallet is not like mine. The same can be said about our quilting. I just finished quilting together a quilt and I am about to go and rip it all apart because I know that if anyone ever saw it they would slap me silly. I will make a post of it before I do the ripping so that everyone can tell me what I did wrong.
And we must remember that if we take offense at something said then we must remember that we are giving offense also. hope this all makes since to everyone.