Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you please, info. about your machine :) >

If you please, info. about your machine :)

If you please, info. about your machine :)

Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Last September I bought a Brother PC420PRW(Project Runway).

I love it because:
1. Easy peasy machine threading
2. Easy peasy automatic needle threader that works EVERY time.
3. Easy peasy bobbin winding
4. Easy peasy bobbin placement with a see through window to keep a watch on how much is left in the bobbin.
5. Needle up/down feature
6. Automatic thread cutter with the puch of a button.
7. Knee lifter (OH IS THIS EVER HANDY)
8. The machine is so quiet and just purrs
9. Many, many built in decorative stitches and (small) monograms that (now that I have them) actually use.
10. VERY easy to follow instruction manual.
11. Came with a walking foot at no extra charge and all the other feet needed, including a quarter inch and a free motion foot.
12. Built in handle and not too heavy if you want to take it with you to class.
13. Heavy enough to have "grit".
14. Can disconnect the foot pedal and use on/off sewing with the push of a button. (this is really good for FMQ because...........
15. Speed control that goes really really slow or way fast.
16. Came with a top cover that the handle fits through.

Things I don't like:
1. The light is not good at all. It does NOT light up the needle area well at all. I now have a telescoping "office" lamp and it's sort of a pain, but I'm used to it now.

I paid $479 on Amazon.com

Highly recommend this machine.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM

It is great that all of the Bernina owners love and are so devoted to their "one and only". But I had to laugh LOL when I watched the video of the big tada intro of the big 830 here in the U.S. when they rolled the drums literally that they have now a built in walking foot??? I mean it was a BIG honkin' deal, and I thought WHAT? Pfaff has had one since the 1970s, when the Pfaff 1222 models came out with IDT. I noticed there were other features they were tada-ing about that were already on the Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5 and BTW IDT comes on all the Pfaffs; Bernina just on top of the line so I've heard.

Also I heard from two different dealers that the Bernina's are not as user friendly as the Pfaff and the Brother. One of the sales ladies works in a store that sells only Brother and Bernina and she bought herself the Brother Quattro. But again, hats off to the Bernina fans that love and can use their machines just fine.

But I have to say that if you find your "true love" machine than go for it, no matter what the make. As quilters and sewers our machine is our vehicle, whether a Cadillac or VW, and we go for what gets the job done at the price we can pay.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 PM

Purchasing a new machine needs to be a serious search. Quality of all the brands has gone down greatly in newer machines as the manufacturing and parts are not of the standard they used to be. When you look at a new machine, by all means take a look at the inside- they don't want you to look at it then don't buy from them. Also find out who can service it, what will it cost and what are they most commonly in the shop for. Many of your good old fashioned repair shops are being squeezed out by manufactures not willing to deal with them unless they sign up and deal their product. Find out who are your service options in your area and what the quality of their work is. We took a Pfaff we had bought for our daughter to the only Pfaff shop left in our town and the same one that had serviced mine 6 years ago. Turned out they had changed hands and the standards as well as quality were aweful. After the fact, and a long drawn out battle we found sewer after sewer who had simular stories and not one of them had felt they had the right to do anything about the shop. We have made it a point to inform anyone we meet who sews to let them know not to take their machine there as well as refer business to other shops with people we personally do business with and trust. We refurbish vintage machines and deal with shops for parts and or referals at times and we know who to trust. Also check the warranty on the machines- what exactly they cover, who can service, if it has to be sent to the manufacturer who pays for that, how long will it take and what gaurentees do you have of new parts as well as work being done that actually needs to be. One true mark of a good service person is one who will tell you up front if they can't fix it they don't charge other then a small inspection fee and they may refer you to someone else if they think that will help. You have to look beyond the bells and whistles. I personally have a Pfaff 1475 and am so blessed with it but if I abuse it, it will be in the hundreds and the closest person to work on a computerized Pfaff is 100 miles away I baby it more then ever and do my heavier work on a Pfaff 130 or Necchi BU or a Green machine Husqvarna/Viking.
Unlike most people I have a huge inventory to play with so having a machine down is not much of a problem especially since we service our inventory but for someone else having a machine down is a major issue so think before you buy on how often it'll be out for service and how much it'll cost.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM

My newer Singer just jammed up during my afternoon quilting session and has to go back to my repairman. Thank goodness for my little 1950's FW 221!! She never fails me!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM

My Viking 500 (circa 1994) is sick right now and I'll get it fixed again. I love the machine. I did buy a Brother Quilter Machine to take its place from Walmart for $200. It does everything the Viking did, has the flat face up bobbin, auto thread, needle down, speed control, sews when I step on the pedal and is so nice. I'm in love! I've had brother's before (have a 1200 short arm for quilting and had another small machine that I sold.) Guess I like the Brother because it didn't cost so much and it is a great machine. Has 71 stitches plus letters - can't beat that with a regular machine! Oh, it came with the walking foot and the quilting foot as well as other feet. Has the neatest 1/4" quilting foot. It is designed for quilting, so I think I did really well. Comes with a 25 year limited warranty. My Viking didn't because I technically bought a second hand machine - it was used for a week and returned to an upgrade model. I think I'll be sewing a bunch again!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 PM

My work horse is my 25 year old basic simplicity.
Recently bought a Bernina 180 and love it... but haven't used it enough to really critique.
Have an old singer treadle and a featherweight I just bought... but really don't know enough to comment.
Good luck!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM

One thing I would consider before making an investment in a new machine is the location of the dealer, the expertise of the staff, and the availability of service and repair. My dealer is close by, and it is nice to be able drop the machine off when I need to get it checked. They have a certified technician on site. The dealer also offered hands-on classes to help get the most from my machine. There are a lot of good sewing machines out there. Have fun finding your favorite! Take lots of test drives.

BTW: I have a Bernina 1530 that I have had for over 16 years. I still love the machine and have not been tempted to trade it in on a newer model. (The prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine.)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maggiesmom
I have 2 brother machines which I absolutely love. I also have an older Janome machine that is a workhorse but is pretty much a basic machine. There are several Brother machines that are reasonably priced and also Janome's. If there is a Brother dealer near you they often have very good bargains on used machines. You could pick up a good machine for $500 to $600 new and used even better. I have never had maintenance problems with my machines.

I have no experience with a Pfaff; but I agree that Berninas are way over priced.
I also have 2 Brother machines-
I have the basic, not computerized, 10 years old, never in the shop, works as well as when new. ($150.00)

I just last year bought my Brother NZ-650 quilting machine. What is does- 429 stitches, 10 spot stitch saver memory, 3 Alphabets, Wide table. sideways feed, 10 buttonholes, custom stitch function, automatic tension, up to a 5mm stitch, Knee lift, thread cutters(2), push button needle treading, walking foot, quilting foot, FMQ foot, and 5 other feet (I haven't used them yet) and speed control.
What I don't like- blue and white instead of Pink :mrgreen: And it's not built in (yet).
Cost- $1,000
Would I buy it again? YES
Would I recommend it? YES
:thumbup:
Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM

I currently have a babylock Ellisimo which does sew, quilt and embroider. Unfortunately for me, I am about to sell it due to financial straits. Paid $7500.

2. I love everything about this machine and it breaks my heart to let it go. It has auto tension that is amazing when doing FMQ. It has 10 inch throat space. Embroidery features are beyond description.

3. There is nothing I don't like.

(If anyone knows of someone interested, PM me. Asking $6300.)

I have Brother Quatro 6000, which is like the Babylock Elisamo - twins I think... If you can afford it, it is a wonderful machine. Like the above machine it quilts, embroiders, sews, has a catalogue of great features. When I bought mine in Nov. the sales person said the learning curve was easier than the Janome, which they also sold. I also paid abt 7000 for it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM

Hi Vintage Bicycle, I work in a Sewing Machine Sales/Quilt Shop. The Quilters ALL love the Pfaff Expression 4.0. Too many features to list them all. They sell in our store for $2,200 Canadian. Some of the features are, Automatic Pressure Foot lift, 2 free motion modes, Large throat space 10 - 12 ", Dual lights, thread snips, Tie-off, Electronic thread tension, 9 mm stitches, tons of fancy stitches. The Janome machines are popular with the ladies that do fashion, home decor, upholstery, denim etc. The Pfaff Expressions 2.0 and 3.0 are being discontinued, and replaced with a machine that has a smaller throat space, not too sure how well those models are going to sell with the quilters. Check out your local supplier and find out about warranty and have some demos done on different machines. The shop that I work in warranties the new machines that it sells for " 3 Years" That is hard to beat, but I tell you, quilters are very happy. Our city has no dealer for brother or Husquarvarna, (spelling ???) and the local seller, Walmart, leaves the buyer on his own to get any kind of service after 90 days. Buyers are left with huge shipping bills, to get their machines repaired and are also left to pay shipping to have the machine returned to them. Make sure your local repair/ warranty shop takes care of all makes and models. I notice that many of the machines are in the shop lots, they have thrown out of timing in their machines. If your machine is not under warranty, it is a $75 dollar touch. Don't know if the newer models with lots of plastic parts are easier to throw the timing out or if the old machines were just built to last. All I know is that I have a 35 year old Kenmore that has never had the timing thrown out !!!!!! and has only been in the shop once in 35 years. It is just a workhorse, and quilts beautifully. Hope this has been helpful. Auntie B in Saskatchewan.