Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm disappointed - anyone else? >

I'm disappointed - anyone else?

I'm disappointed - anyone else?

Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Susanna10 View Post
They should send an email to all their subscribers when they find errors.....
One would think that they would do something like that to alleviate the frustration to those using the patterns, that comes from trying to create a block with their instructions, when the pattern is not accurate as written. I do believe that they need to proof read their patterns and instructions a little better, before it goes to print. I have made only one of the quilts thus far, from the first volume. It also had mistakes, that I was not aware of until I went back to the internet and looked up the video. Couldn't figure out why the measurements were not the same as those in the magazine. I did eventually get the quilt finished and it did turn out fairly well.

Last edited by dee1245; 09-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I don't see where it's $1. On the website it is $5.99 per issue for a paper subscription and $4.99 per issue for digital. I wonder if some are mistakenly believing that it's $5.99 per year (6 issues per year). It is $34.95 per year for the paper subscription.

There is a link for errors for each issue. Not one for the current issue yet but it's probably coming as they find out about the mistakes.
Yes, that was my first thought on the cost of the subscription. I thought it was an introdutory price of $5.99 for the year. What a surprise to find out differently. On the errors for the latest issue, I am sure there will be corrections. One would have to go to the website to compare the video to the magazine to find the errors. I haven't found a pattern in the 4 volumes that I am dying to try at this time, but did watch one the Double Friendship Star (not sure if that's the correct name) that I am thinking of trying. It looks simple enough without the bias edges that most of her patterns have.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Okay, on the "Stain Glass" Quilt, when I got done, it didn't have enough blocks to make it the dimensions specified. So, I figured I had made a mistake in my layout of the blocks. Soooooo, I added additional strips and then the size was correct. It is done. This is the picture of it laying on the floor before I had it ready for the long arm quilter. I took it to the long arm quilter and she thought it was beautiful. I am in the process of sewing on the binding by hand. But, learning from all of you great quilters, I just punted. Will check for corrections in the future. I have marked the corrections in all the "Block" books that I have and just keep a quilting on! I will post a picture after I get it finished.
Attached Thumbnails stainglass_fixed_it.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by OldHairTwister View Post
I got an email with corrections for three issues. Filed them in the books. Hope they do better with future issues.

I haven't recieved any emails from them, but it would be nice.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
One would think that they would do something like that to alleviate the frustration to those using the patterns, that comes from trying to create a block with their instructions, when the pattern is not accurate as written. I do believe that they need to proof read their patterns and instructions a little better, before it goes to print. I have made only one of the quilts thus far, from the first volume. It also had mistakes, that I was not aware of until I went back to the internet and looked up the video. Couldn't figure out why the measurements were not the same as those in the magazine. I did eventually get the quilt finished and it did turn out fairly well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490836[/ATTACH] This is the quilt that I made, my first pieced quilt for a full size bed.
Attached Thumbnails petes-quilt.jpg  
Old 09-09-2014, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I am a little disappointed that there are so many corrections. I would think that these quilts would be tested to death before they would be put in the magazine. I am holding off on subscribing to see how it goes for awhile longer.
I am disappointed that the errors are continuing and that they are not being proactive in correcting errors for subscribers. They have our email addresses. They are quite capable of notifying us when they are charging our credit cards. It would be a simple matter to send a list of corrections to subscribers.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:46 AM

My advice would be to contact her website. I visited Hamilton this summer and met Jenny in her store. I have never found such a wonderful community. She took time and spoke with my sister and me. I cannot imagine you not getting a response from one of her staff. If you are struggling my guess is that others have also. They are very people oriented.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 AM

I have been making the corrections to my copy of the third Block magazine and I am really, really disappointed. Errors are not getting any better. They need to fire the proofreader! I expect better.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:39 AM

Anyone know if there are any corrections in the latest "late Summer vol. 1 Issue 4" issue?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I made that quilt from the video before the magazine came out and did not have any trouble. I have noticed that Jenny often seems to think there are 42 strips in a jelly roll when she is making a video. I have learned that I need to cut 2 additional strips from my backing or binding material to have enough to make the quilt like hers. I think Jump Rings was the last quilt with which I had that problem. I noticed when Block came out with the instructions for Jump Rings, they used a layer cake (42 pieces) rather than a jelly roll to make the quilt. I have made dozens of Jenny's quilts. I love them when I need to make a fast, easy quilt. I also like Block magazine although I have usually made the quilts I liked before the issue containing them came out. I'm just a big Jenny Doan fan.
Glad to hear someone mention their Block Magazine. I love it. Can't say that I have made anything with it yet but then I have been cleaning up on UFOs for the last 6 months. Almost there, 4 down and 2 to go!