Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm disappointed - anyone else? >

I'm disappointed - anyone else?

I'm disappointed - anyone else?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I have been making the corrections to my copy of the third Block magazine and I am really, really disappointed. Errors are not getting any better. They need to fire the proofreader! I expect better.
A proofreader only makes sure the sentences make sense and the grammar is correct. We need people making each quilt according to the directions. They will be able to find the mistakes in measurements and stuff.
I know the computer sometimes does strange things, like putting the caption for a picture under the wrong picture. And after you correct something, the old stuff is still there, too. Hope things get better.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM

I really like Jenny's videos and her patterns - but don't subscribe to Block. I've only made one of her quilts so far, from the Quilting Quickly mag - sounds like they need to SLOW DOWN some and test patterns more ... may be in too much a rush with all they have their hands in now ??

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-09-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

What's the problem with those that make the pattern report any mistakes to Missouri Star? I always go to the website of any magazine or book or designer before making a pattern to check for corrections. With Jenny's patterns it's easy enough to watch the video and listen to her telling the measurements for the block.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:36 PM

Because when you pay for a pattern or magazine you shouldn't have to hunt to find out if there are mistakes. They have everyone's email that has subscribed. They should be notifying people. Or better yet, like others have mentioned, use pattern testers before releasing any. It's not fair to the first few that try a pattern to have to be unpaid guinea pigs and be the ones to discover and report errors.

No matter how easy it is to find out about the errors, the bottom line is that there shouldn't be so many in the first place. On a free publication, sure. When you pay for it, absolutely not.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Because when you pay for a pattern or magazine you shouldn't have to hunt to find out if there are mistakes. They have everyone's email that has subscribed. They should be notifying people. Or better yet, like others have mentioned, use pattern testers before releasing any. It's not fair to the first few that try a pattern to have to be unpaid guinea pigs and be the ones to discover and report errors.

I agree wholeheartedly! It would be different if the patterns were free.

No matter how easy it is to find out about the errors, the bottom line is that there shouldn't be so many in the first place. On a free publication, sure. When you pay for it, absolutely not.
I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 PM

I am going to a Jenny Doane trunk show next week... I am excited and I am also hoping there will be some MSQC people there selling things and I can ask them
Old 09-09-2014, 05:28 PM

I agree 100%. I would sure hate to have to check a blog or website to see if there are any errors before ordering/purchasing/cutting fabric. You assume the pattern is correct. And what if I didn't find the correct spot for the "correction" before cutting. Makes for frustration. I think they should be able to send either an email or snail mail to notify us. And please cut down on the amount of errors!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:33 PM

To err is human, to forgive, divine.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 PM

I am sure they will fix the problems with time. I love the magazine. No ads, easy to read, easy to follow. Keep going Jenny. Wish I lived close enough to go to a trunk show. She probably could use a couple more pattern testers but as they say don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
I really feel dumb, and am sometimes with technology (lol - I call it mentalpause) but how do you print the corrections and from which screen? I don't get much when I try to just print the screen. Is it easier if you go directly to her site? And when you get into her site what do you look for. I have had problems just getting in it. Thank you ladies who are so cool with all this technical stuff!!!!
I have found that often I cannot print from an e-mail or a post. I highlight what I want by dragging a clicked mouse over it until it turns blue. You can control how much turns blue most of the time. Press Control and C. That copies it. Then I minimize that screen and bring up my word documents. When a new page is up, I press Control and V. That pastes it. It will come up on the screen. Then I can press Control and P and the print window comes up. I usually have to click on "selection" instead of "all" to print what I want. If I don't, it prints 15 pages. LOL
Now let's see if you can print this out so you have the directions handy? ? ? ?
Good luck.