Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips! >

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 AM

Hi Kerry, congradulations. I also have a small sewingroom, afterthought space above garage. I used an old teachers desk with drawers and filing drawer for cutting table in center of room and have my sewing machines along the wall. Have a built-in bookcase and shelves for material. But the best thing is my peg board for all my cotskeys? I don't have enough wall space unfortunately, so put a flannel sheet up over bookcase for design wall, small, but it works. Have fun!
Originally Posted by KerryK
I am sooooo very excited. DH just asked me this morning if I would like to convert our small back porch into a sewing room!!! How fast can I say yes! It is enclosed on three sides, so it will just involve adding a wall of windows and a door on the one open 12' side, like a sunroom. It's already wired with a ceiling fixture and two outlets! It's only 8' x 12', but I am thrilled beyond measure! I'd love to have your suggestions as to how I can best maximize this small space! (Did I say I am excited???) :D :D :D :D :D
Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 AM

wow, congrats! planning it is only the start of the fun!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:00 AM

There was a thread, 1-2 days ago on sewing rooms, and in one picture, it showed a dresser, with a space on top, then some type of risers, then the ironing table on top. Awsome idea! I am going to try to do the same thing. My plan is that my large cutting board will be under the sewing table, to even utilize it more. Just remove the sewing table, and I would have my cutting table. Lots of uses for the small space. Storage, cutting, ironing, all on the same floor space. Currently looking for dresser with/ or on which I can put casters, so that I can make it mobile, thus opening the possibility of being able to utilize all sides when I want.

Have fun planning!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:51 AM

i have a room just about that size and use it for sewing/computer/tv room.

hubby built floor to ceiling shelves on two of the walls which hold an enormous amount of storage boxes.

I have a corner desk which holds Tv and computer and has two small bookcases on each side for printer and books (or wahtever!!)

he also built me a table 20"x42" with 2- 26" drop leaves. (opened-72"x42)
To be truthful, I don't open it to it's entirety too often, hard to maneuver around it....but it is helpful when pinning a large item.

I have one closet in the room which stores fabric.

Works for me.....
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 AM

I purchased a small rectangular table from walmart many years ago for my girls to have in their room for putting on makeup. Well they are gone now. Son cut plywood to fit and I covered it with batting and that sliver ironing board fabric from joann (you can use plain muslin). Stapled it to the wood and layed it on top of that table.
I am right hande so I sit at my sewing machine and only have to swivel my chair to iron as it is set up like and L shape. I sew in a small bedroom. When I want to iron a curve like in a shirt I slide the corner of that wood board away from the tabletop and viola an ironing corner.
I store my fabric in an old dresser, all the fabric folded and put in sideways so I can thumb through and find what I'm looking for.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 AM

Congrats! You will really enjoy your new space, however you set it up!
In reply to Gladys, yes sunlight does fade. I learned that the hard way, when I left my award winning quilt (one and only) on the wall and my neighbour decided to open the blinds full tilt when we were away.
Barb
Old 11-01-2011, 05:08 AM

I have a very small 8x9 sewing room/office and I store my stencils and rulers and anythig that can hang from a clip on wire hangers on my curtain rods above each window for more space. I also have an L-shaped desk with a hutch on one side and use the half without the hutch for my sewing table and am currently have my husband use the wood from the slide out keyboard drawer into a place to drop the machine down to hide the machine when not in use. I also had an old door with the handle removed and a thin sheet of plywood onto converted into my cutting table. My husband modified the height to about 39" in the front to 44" in the back so it does not hurt my back for long hours of cutting and having the table raised in the back I can easily see the measurment with no light glares, etc. He also built shelves under this table and make great places to store totes/boxes to get out of the way. On the backs of doors I have my ironing board which folds down and can be height adjusted and on the other a cork board for more storage. I also have as many bookshelves I can get in there and above them I installed see through closet type shelves so I have more storage but with it being so high I can still see what is up there!! I hope some of these ideas help.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Very nice!! :)
Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 AM

great news, enjoy the process.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 AM

What GREAT deal to have a room designated just for you and your quilting! I hope you take pictures. Would love to see it when you have everything in place.