Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips! >

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

I'm getting a "small" sewing room - need some tips!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm
As with any small space, I say "go vertical" Try to use as much vertical space for storage, etc., as you can. If you can make a surface serve multiple purposes easily, go for it. I have seen pics of people's fabrics wrapped around foam core and stored upright like mini fabric bolts and I think that is a brilliant idea.

Good luck, have fun, and be sure to post photos when it is done! Lucky!
I agree and I have a large sewing room- I still went vertical !!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 AM

Sounds like a great space. Have fun decorating and getting it set up.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 AM

I love the overhead cabinets...nice concept. Perhaps your is a little larger. My sewing/office space is 8 x 10 ft and I don't like a full ironing board standing around. So my dear husband is now working on the TV tray mini ironing board, as a second alternative. By the way has any one else built one of those mini ironing boards? My husband said the wood is so hard that he will have to use an electric stapler, any one else found that? Happy for your "new" workspace.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:31 AM

I went to the fabric store (Hancocks or Joanns) and they gave me their old bolts that they were going to throw away. I cut them in half and put my larger sizes of fabric around them. Works perfect on shelves or book cases and keeps them very organized. Looks like bolts of material at the fabric store. Once the fabric is gone off of the bolt most of the stores get the number off of the end and than just throw them away. No cost to you and works great.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 AM

Don't know how handy you or hubby are, but my hubby made some great things for my tiny area (about 6X8). See here for the cutting/pressing table and the step to allow FMQ. I also have baskets and shelving.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115294-1.htm
Old 11-01-2011, 05:46 AM

hang as much as you can on the walls, between the windows and on the doors! Keeping stuff off the floor enables you to have more floor space for your cutting tables, sewing tables and fur-ever friends.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Luscious Marilyn
By the way has any one else built one of those mini ironing boards? My husband said the wood is so hard that he will have to use an electric stapler, any one else found that?
I don't have a manual one and my electric made short work of it as long as I didn't have it at an angle. I was amazed at that they were made of hardwood.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Lucky you!! Your very own room... Enjoy.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 AM

Another thought. (they don't come easy to me. LOL) Have your handy dear hubby make a chest to hang on the wall. The front would drop down (supported by two or 3 telescoping or folding legs). There would be pegboard at the back of it. He could make it any size allowed by your wall and you would have a cutting table and hanging storage that folds out of the way when not in use.

Of course mine is always in use for something or other!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:51 AM

congrtulations on the now room. JUST make it for you, the way you like it. at may take you a couple of try's to get ti right for you but that is half the fun. CONGs again. and enjoy.