Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: I'm only admitting this because.....

Power Poster
    Thanks for the great tip, Katie. I'm sure we will all check our feed dogs the next time something isn't working right on our machines! It was very kind of you to share your story!
    Happy to hear your machine is purring now! You'll be amazed at your results! Happy quilting!

it is amazing how a little thing like lint can mess your machine up so fast......My brother sew machine done same thing about 2 years ago and I cleaned it over and over,a friend of mine use to work at a factory on machines. Came by and sure enough that is what it was.now if I get one skipped stitch it all gets cleaned..........saves me $$$$$

Thanks for sharing something that we all tend to overlook. I just started a new project and before I did I cleaned out everything, new needle and lint removed. I keep a can of air right by my machine and am amazed at how much fuzz it gets off the feed dogs, needle plate and the shank. It is like bottled water, that I said I'd never buy; but a blast of air keeps my baby purring along.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee
    Thanks for sharing something that we all tend to overlook. I just started a new project and before I did I cleaned out everything, new needle and lint removed. I keep a can of air right by my machine and am amazed at how much fuzz it gets off the feed dogs, needle plate and the shank. It is like bottled water, that I said I'd never buy; but a blast of air keeps my baby purring along.
    I had thought using air for cleaning was not a good thing?

Because it could force lint, etc. deeper into the workings?

I just had the sewing machines at the shop I managed cleaned for the first time in a year and a half....pins, dust, and a few unidentifiable objects came FLYING out. I went home and literally unscrewed EVERYTHING on my machine, dusted and oiled. :) Great post...three years ago I didn't even know that sewing machines needed oil or dusting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
    One of the questions I always ask my students is "Have you cleaned your machine?" Some of the ladies are more timid about their machines so I do the deep cleaning. Once I show them were all the dust bunnies can live they do a better job cleaning.
    A clean machine is a happy machine. :?
    I used to teach machine applique and machine quilting classes and part of the class was spent talking about machine maintenance. I never made anyone tell me when was the last time they cleaned their machine well, but many told me anyway...and yes, some the answer was never but will from now on...it can make such a difference on the performance of your machine.

Thank-you for starting this thread...seems that a lot of people are being educated on cleaning their machine!

I cleaned my feed-dogs after reading this. I was given my new-to-me machine by my MIL last month who faithfully oils them and replaces needles frequently.... but had a felt-pad of lint jammed in those puppies!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee
    I had thought using air for cleaning was not a good thing?

Because it could force lint, etc. deeper into the workings?

A point worth considering; however, so far it has proven to be a benefit and the stuff that comes out can't be good for the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaYitu
    How did you clean your feed dogs? I am having troble with my machine--its a Bernette and only 4 years old. It is like something is binding. I have cleaned the bobbin area, etc. We are living on a small income (S.S.) and I have hesitated in taking it in, because of the expense. Got any suggestions????
    Just take the plate off that is under your needle where the feed dogs are. The tiny areas between those little feet are where it builds up. Mine were like felt pads also. It was so bad, the poor things were not hardly moving. I'm on SS as well, and I just didn't really want to spend as much as I paid for the machine, just to have it cleaned. Or have to buy a new one. I'd rather use every cent I have to buy fabric. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
    I cleaned my feed-dogs after reading this. I was given my new-to-me machine by my MIL last month who faithfully oils them and replaces needles frequently.... but had a felt-pad of lint jammed in those puppies!
    I had a felt pad built up that when I looked in there at first, I thought it was supposed to be that way. Wrong! I will now clean completely after every project I do, so my little girl loves me forever.

Blog Entries
    Good for you well done i will go now and check mine :)Thank you for sharing and you are not an idiot you are a Mechanic :)Women have so many talents!!

I save all my selvage ends and use them for scrapes. Comes in handy in chain piecing.

All of us are in there together! There's a lot of room for learning!

....and now you 'appreciate' the need to clean them all the time. Been there, done that! :)

Isn't it amazing how much stuff collects under those feed dogs and plate? I have a Brother Innovis 1500D. It's been a great machine for me since it sews beautifully and also does terrific machine embroidery. I learned early on how to really clean it out
    and I do it every other time I use it. I also use moisture free air gently on it. I found out the hard way. I took it in for a cleaning
    "wellness check" and was charged $210! Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinNsmilin
    Isn't it amazing how much stuff collects under those feed dogs and plate? I have a Brother Innovis 1500D. It's been a great machine for me since it sews beautifully and also does terrific machine embroidery. I learned early on how to really clean it out
    and I do it every other time I use it. I also use moisture free air gently on it. I found out the hard way. I took it in for a cleaning
    "wellness check" and was charged $210! Never again.
    That's why I didn't want to take it in for "wellness check" because I didn't even pay that much for it. It isn't a brother but none-the-less.

I have a Pfaff that has done a wonderful job for me. We (my daughter and I) were at a quilting class and it started acting up. I couldn't get it straightened out to save my life. Finally she said, why don't you change the needle?? I had already rethreaded both top and bottom, oiled the bobbin hook, changed thread, etc. I figured I didn't have anything to lose so I changed the needle. Guess what...it worked like a charm. Must have bent it a little or maybe it was just dull. What an easy fix. Sometimes they can be really irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    I have a Pfaff that has done a wonderful job for me. We (my daughter and I) were at a quilting class and it started acting up. I couldn't get it straightened out to save my life. Finally she said, why don't you change the needle?? I had already rethreaded both top and bottom, oiled the bobbin hook, changed thread, etc. I figured I didn't have anything to lose so I changed the needle. Guess what...it worked like a charm. Must have bent it a little or maybe it was just dull. What an easy fix. Sometimes they can be really irritating.
    Oh I learned that the hard way too. So I've been changing my needle quite often.

Blog Entries
    I will remove the throat plate, clean under and around it to everything I can reach with a Q-tip then clean around and behind the bobbin area. Never thought to clean the feed dogs but have recently been having problems with fabric not feeding properly or jumping when going over seams. When I get back home the feed dogs will be the first thing I check. THANKS TO THIS WONDERFUL BOARD for all that I learn.

Blog Entries
    It is amazing what a good cleaning will do--I was ready to start looking for another machine, but I was in the middle of a project so I did the next best thing--thoroughly clean my machine. I even oiled it a bit--and voila, it works like a charm now.

I have a friend who brought over her sewing machine for me to check it out for her. She had it a bit ove a year and a half. I asked her how long it had been since she changed her needle. She sort of looked funny and said I never even thought about it. We cleaned ,oiled and put in a new needle and now its working like a charm.
    I find out to check the simple things first.

I have a friend who brought over her sewing machine for me to check it out for her. She had it a bit ove a year and a half. I asked her how long it had been since she changed her needle. She sort of looked funny and said I never even thought about it. We cleaned ,oiled and put in a new needle and now its working like a charm.
    I find out to check the simple things first.

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK
    :oops: OK Here comes the dumb question. How DO you clean the feed dogs? I don't think that my machine has ever been taken apart and cleaned or oiled. I do clean around the bobbin and try to blow when I think there is fuzz. But............ I was told that it's not good to blow on the machine. When you blow you just push things in those private places (on the machine) that you can't get at. At this time I can't afford to take my machine into a professional. I only have the one machine and I sure don't want her to get sick. I think that she works fine and I don't want to do anything that will give her a problem. Is there a special oil you are supposed to use? Thanks and please don't think bad of me for not yet doing preventive care. I will be waiting to read you answers. Brenda
    Not a dumb question or I would have done it correctly years ago. Take the plate off just under the needle. You can see the feed dogs, and inbetween the little feet, if you've been sewing a while, you'll find compress fuzz. I use a lot of grey in my quilting, so it blended right in with the silver/grey of the machine. I actually (after turning off the machine - very important) stuck a pin between the feet and low and behold, it was very soft. So I picked it all out. So glad my stupidity helps someone. LOL
    My SIL calls the stuff caught in the feed dogs 'belly button lint'...She's got quite a sense of humor and I love her!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3