Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Input/Guidance Please for an idea >

Input/Guidance Please for an idea

Input/Guidance Please for an idea

Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Default Input/Guidance Please for an idea

Good Morning Everyone,

I am more of a lurker, and definitely a newbie when it comes to quilting (haven't finished a project yet). However, I so enjoy reading this board and seeing all the beautiful projects and the great support and encouragement that everyone gives to each other. This is truly a positive place with positive people!!!!! So, I am hoping that someone can give me some input or help me bring an idea to life. Some backstory:

I have a 10 year old DD who is a competitive dancer. She has been competing since she was 3 (only because her sister was doing it and she wanted to try it - now her sister does not do it). Dance is her passion in life at this point. She eats, sleeps and breathes dance. Our dance studio is like a family in many respects. Many of the older girls are a big sister to her. There is one in particular - G, a junior in HS - who has been an encouragement and a help since DD has been very little. Unfortunately, G lost her mother this last November very unexpectedly. It has been a painful time for our entire studio as her mother (who was also my friend) was the epitome of a kind and caring person on this earth (closest thing to an angel I have ever seen).

Last summer we were painting the studio and we were cleaning out OLD costumes. My DD found an old pair of lavender velvet costume pants that had been G's and G gave them to her. These pants are HIDEOUS and we all laughed at how funny they are. My DD loves these pants and wants to wear them to bed all the time. G thinks this is hilarious and we were joking last week about it because I told G that she will be getting them back one day soon.

So -- finally -- my idea. Since G will be a graduating senior next year, I would like to make her a quilt and incorporate the pants into the quilt. Ideally, I would like to take the pants apart that the seams and have the front of the them on the front of the quilt and the back of the pants on the back of the quilt (maybe applique?). Does this sound weird?? Does it sound doable???

Thanks for reading this far!!!

Jacki
Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM

That sounds like a fun idea, so why not? I would appliqué them rather that trying to build blocks around them. Good luck and send photos!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

What a sweet idea! My only concern is whether DD is willing to part with the pants. They obviously mean a lot to her. Maybe incorporate part of the pants in a quilt for DD too? Or perhaps DD would like to help make the quilt for G?

Another idea - is there some item of clothing that belonged to G's mother that could also be used in the quilt?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I think you should let your DD keep the pants if they mean a lot to her - hideous or not.

Maybe you could incorporate other things into something for G.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I assume the velvet pants are washable... need to be for a quilt. you might just think of using squares cut from the pants rather than the whole front and back. mainly due to quilting distance needs. or quilt first and then add the pants as applique.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Thank you everyone for the input.

1) DD is okay with parting with the pants. We have duscussed it and if it's for G, she's cool with it and they are almost too tight on her at this point.

2) I like the idea of incorporating something of G's mom but not sure I could get ahold of it.

3) Luckily the pants are washable.

Thank you again.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Banned

Truly a very special idea you have.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Your story is very touching. Those pants made me think of the the movie, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, where the pants fulfilled some necessary need for each friend. I was wondering if you could perhaps cut out many small versions of the pants from the pants themselves, and then applique them to many blocks. Maybe the dance group could autograph the blocks too, so that G will have a memento of her dancing family.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 PM

I would do exactly as you first suggested. Sounds like a great, original idea to me. My next question would be why do YOU have to quilt it? You and your daughter can have the fun of taking the pants apart at the side seams and appliqueing them to the fabric that you and she decide on. Since we've already established the pants are washable we want to make sure the whole thing can be washed so, I would find someone who will quilt it for you. Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

Love this whole story!

I like the idea of something for both your DD and G ... so here is my suggestion.
Snip the pants apart as you have been planning .... and applique the front onto one quilt and the back onto the other quilt.

The other side of both quilts could be a more traditional pattern or just a plain fabric.
Both girls would then have options as to which side they want to show as the front.

The pants side would be like a hidden surprise if the other side was what people see.

That was my idea ... but I do think GingerK's suggestion is a wonderful one.
That is, if you want to include the others from the dance "family" in this.

However, this might start something you may not want to do ...
... with others wondering, so why don't I get a quilt.